All reviewsthe main squarebelgian towngreat hotelfreshly cooked eggscomfortable bedswould highly recommend this hotelhigh standardlarge bathroomwarm welcomeon arrivalsitesieper
Reviewed January 7, 2018

The Hotel Amfora is within a lovely Belgian square in a typical Belgian town only 50 miles from Calais. The rooms are spacious and clean and the staff cannot be more friendly or helpful. The food in the restaurant is really excellent and we will go back soon.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 & 2 are our favourites but all are quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2018, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2017 via mobile

Lovely, spacious and clean hotel in a fabulous location on the main square in Poperinge. Very friendly staff giving a warm welcome on arrival. Rooms were a good size with comfortable beds and a relatively large bathroom. The restaurant and bar were not open the days we stayed but there are plenty of other places to eat and drink.

Stayed: August 2017, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 23, 2017

I stayed here for two nights during the recent commemorations for the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Passchendaele. I arrived by train and the hotel is a 10 minute walk from the railway station. The hotel is superbly located on the main square and has a bar & restaurant popular with locals and visitors alike.

Behind the elegant old façade is a modern hotel which has been finished to a high standard. The rooms are spotlessly clean and mine had a wall-mounted air conditioning unit which was useful as temperatures were in the high twenties when I was there. Staff were extremely helpful and accommodating and the service I received throughout my stay was excellent. I'd definitely stay here again.

My only gripe is that I was repeatedly bitten by mosquitoes during both nights I was there although, in fairness, the hotel has fitted mosquito nets to the windows and thus had done everything they reasonably could be expected to do to alleviate this problem. I'd just suggest that, if like me you're a magnet for mosquitoes, and you're visiting in Summer, make sure you take both plug-in and aerosol repellents with you.

Room Tip: My room was on the top floor at the back of the hotel. Quiet with a pleasant garden view.
  • Stayed: July 2017, traveled solo
Reviewed December 27, 2016

My wife and I were visiting friends over the Xmas period and they booked us into this hotel. The staff are very pleasant helpful and knowledgable . The hotel from the outside looks typical of the area and is located in a corner of the square but inside it has been refurbished and to a very high standard. Our room was spacious although I heard that if you stay more than 2nights you get the best rooms. There is a safe in the room and also a kettle you can use to make tea or coffee. We didn't have breakfast in the hotel although we did have our Xmas meal there and I can't praise it highly enough it was excellent

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the market square
  • Stayed: December 2016, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 24, 2016

We booked a 2 day stay at Hotel Amfora for business. The pleasant owners tipped us off to park around the corner, down the road at the local primary school, to avoid parking charges/fines if parking in the town square. We were given a large split-level room on the 2nd floor at the back of the hotel, with a window facing the charming garden. At this time of year, it was surprisingly fairly quiet, however if the outside terrace would be full of restaurant guests, sound might be an issue. As this is a family-owned and run venture, you are given a pass code for late night entry after hours when the hotel doors are shut and locked - this is a not a problem - if you remember the pass code!

We treated our business partners to the 3 course set menu of the hotel's on-site restaurant on our first night, which has justifiably good reviews with well-thought through delicious food and wine list, although beware of price creep with add-ons, especially with the euro conversion from australian dollars.

Pros: Excellent location right in town centre, quiet room with lovely view at the back of the hotel, away from the front restaurant. Free (slightly slow) wifi and nice toiletries, pleasant family-owners.

Cons: Dated internal bathroom (no window) and facilities; non-refundable deposit taken at booking, additional city tax charges.

• Stayed: September 2016, traveled on business