“Excellent hotel for skiing holiday”
Review of St Gothard Hotel

St Gothard Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Erts
“Excellent hotel for skiing holiday”
Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We just had a fantastic week staying at the St Gothard Hotel. This is not a boutique hotel but it is an excellent place to stay for a skiing holiday. We had read the Tripadvisor reviews and thought this was the place for us, and it was.

The room was spotless, overlooking the river and a beautiful view. We had a balcony which is excellent for us as smokers. Since the hotel did not provide an ashtray we went out to buy the ugliest one we could find! One thing to note is that if you are staying in your room a little later after breakfast, you should put up the do not disturb sign as we found the staff a little enthusiastic about getting the room cleaned.

We found the food to be great overall with a nice variation to it throughout the week. Something to be found for everyone in the buffet. The restaurant staff were very friendly.

The facilities were great. Two pool tables and a few gaming machines for the kids. Family entertainment in the bar every evening if you want. We were happy to find that they were showing the rugby 6 nations matches. Plenty of sports to be seen in the bar. I especially appreciated the fact that there was an Ulster match on and the staff went out of their way to find what channel it was on and put it on for me.

The gondola is a 15 min walk away but there is a free bus service and we never had to wait any more than 10 mins. We usually walked back (downhill). There are two supermarkets in between the hotel and the gondola and some cash machines.

We liked the food in the Bull next to the gondola and for beers Cisco"s (1.50 a pint!) and the Irish bar.

We never had a problem with hot water. Yes the tv has only one English channel but that did not bother us as we only switched it on once. The wifi only works downstairs I the lobby/bar area but works fine.

Overall a great hotel. And a great area for beginners/intermediate skiers.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ian M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We enjoyed our one week stay at St Gothard hotel.

The staff were friendly & helpful and spoke good English. We were unlucky with the weather and the staff were most helpful on advising us about the piste closures in Arinsal and how to get to the other resorts.

The buffet food is good and plentiful!

Spacious bedroom, which was well heated. Only issue was that sometimes the water wasn't very hot - I can only assume that is because everyone in the hotel was having showers at the same time when they came back from the pistes.

There is entertainment provided most nights in the bar area, which is good fun, as well as a games room and there is also a jacuzzi & sauna for relieving sore limbs.

On a note unrelated to the hotel, the free bus up the hill to the gondola in Arinsal is useful but could do with running more frequently.

Overall, a very enjoyable stay - I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting to stay here.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 1603 on the 6th floor, which was a spacious double and located at the bottom of co...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Laura W
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Recently stayed in this hotel for a week skiing in Arinsal.
Arrived late on Sunday evening, easy check in, and they had kept food for us arriving.
The hotel was nice, clean, and found staff helpful. The stream does run out the back but no issues with noise for us.
The food was good with plenty of choice every evening, and a good substantial breakfast.
The rooms were reasonable, standard rooms.
The biggest issue for us was location. This is right at the bottom of the hill, and either means quite a walk up the hill, or waiting for the free bus. If we went back, this would be enough to put us off going back here, and would definitely try and get a hotel closer to the gondola.

1 Thank Gareth P
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I have stayed here before several times so i was very excited to be going back, this was short lived when we arrived, we are a family with a 4 year old. The hotel was friendly but the front steps were broken and a real trip hazard, considering we were skiers, so wearing boots etc, not a good thing. Very unsafe. The dining area was clean enough and a small variety of foods, but the food was either dreadfully under cooked or cold. The room was clean. The sheets were not changed at all, all week. They smelt of smelly feet, which was very unpleasant. The tv only had euro news and nothing else with any english channels. The entertainment was scheduled but only actually run twice the whole week. So very disappointing. They stream that runs at the back of the hotel, is very loud as not enough sound proofing. I will not be going back again, i would not recommend this hotel anymore.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank tpabslg

Travelers are raving about these Erts hotels

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We arrived and had a broken toilet so we had to repack and move rooms. For the inconvience they gave us free drinks for the night. Good food with a large selection buffet and helpful, if slightly over enthusiastic, staff,! beautiful views from the room too. Great area for skiing too.

1 Thank Cate287
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2013

Certainly not a 4 star hotel, but quite nice nontheless. I thought the food was very good, lots of variety and different themes through the week, like seafood, mexican and fine dining. The entertainment was very cabaret but good family fun.

We arrived on Sunday afternoon and had our first full day of snowboarding on Monday. I kept most of our spending money in a zip part of my passport wallet, in my bag which was also zipped closed and hidden under my bed. On arrival back at our room on the Monday I went to get some more money out, to find 100 euros missing. We checked everywhere but I know exactly how much we had in there. We went straight to reception to complain, and the guy at the desk was very uninterested, and just said he could assure us none of their staff would have taken it. I asked who else had access to the room then? To which he replied only the cleaners. He said he would mention it to the hotel manager and they would get back to us.

Luckily the manager took it much more seriously, later that evening he came to talk to us, he had already looked at the rota and said there were 3 people who could have had access to our room, 2 long standing staff members of the hotel and a 3rd contractor from an outside company (convenient). He said they would call the police straight away, and also gave us the safe key to use free of charge for the rest of the week (a bit late for that though). They also gave us a free bottle of Cava (would have preferred to have my 100 euros back though).

The police arrived after we had eaten dinner and asked to see my room, where I explained where everything was and what had happened. After they left the hotel said they would be speaking to the cleaners the following day and would let me know what was happening.

That was the last I heard from anyone. The original guy who had been at reception couldn't look me in the eye all week, and we barely saw the manager in the hotel. Nobody made any effort to keep me updated with what was going on, I can only assume that nothing happened and they hoped I wouldn't mention it again. We tried not to let it ruin our holiday, and managed to enjoy ourselves regardless, but I will definitely not be going back here again.

I can only recommend if you do stay here that you pay to use the room safe, or keep all valuables on you at all times.

After arriving back my boyfriend realised he had lost his ring, he thinks it came off in bed while he was asleep on our last night. I have emailed the hotel to ask if it has been found but as yet they have only emailed back to say they have to ask the cleaners.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank CandiceKarenin
Suffolk
Reviewed January 23, 2013

first time in Andorra for a ski trip, don't go on all the reviews you read because you will never please everyone!!

First impressions of this hotel... very professional and clean, hotel staff very friendly on arrival,lots of information about the hotel given. staff here were very friendly on the desk and for breakfast/ dinner.

nobody could complain that they were cold, this hotel is lovely and warm!! very handy when trying to dry ski clothes out!

maids were very efficient, in every day with new towels, this hotel was always clean which I found amazing due to the amount of ski equipment being dragged through every day!

food is a buffet for both breakfast and dinner, all cooked lovely, slightly repetitive as the week went by, a lot of different food every night but not always a choice that compliments each thing,quite mix and match, but I've found all buffets to be like this! food was lovely and very warm, the chefs are very quick to change dishes. staff downstairs very friendly!

the bedrooms are pleasant enough, we overlooked the river, we were to right next to the lift but it was still nice and quiet. not much point to the tv as an old model with no English spoken channels, lovely hot water and a nice deep bath to ease aching muscles. the only criticism; although I was expecting only a basic hairdryer, it had next to no power and overheated every 30 seconds, for someone that has short but thick hair I found it took ages!

the location of this hotel was good, about 800m to the ski slopes, with a free bus that runs up and down, very handy! the only thing I would say is it can be hard work up hill,with skis, in knee deep snow if the bus isn't running! easy run down, we did it in about 10mins.

entertainment every night if you want it, bars charge similar prices to England.

I WOULDN'T HESITATE TO STAY HERE AGAIN! slopes are brilliant for beginners/ intermediates.

all in all a fantastic trip! :-)

5 Thank Sal1990
Also consider these accommodations in or near Erts
Hotel Spa Princesa Parc
Abba Xalet Suites Hotel
Hotel Coma Bella
Hotel Coma Bella
#1 of 5 in Sant Julia de Loria

Been to St Gothard Hotel? Share your experiences!