“Superb”

Ranked #8 of 12 Restaurants in Maubec
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Maison Gouin was recommend to us by the owners of the property we were staying in.
We tried the shop side of the business first and found the staff and choice of produce excellent, if you visit just to buy produce you must go down into the cave, the selection of wine on offer is also excellent.
We booked a table for the friday evening, from the point of stepping through the door the service was outstanding, the menu is small but has plenty of choice and would suit most tastes, the waiter spent a long time explaining the menu and answering our questions and he was a great help when choosing wines available from the cave.
The restaurant was busy and we did not wait a unreasonable amount of time for any of our courses to arrive, the food and presentation was superb and I can not fault it in anyway.
I find it hard to explain or even understand the bad review left by a few people as I can very honestly say they do not fit with our experience of Maison Gouin and would have no problem in recommending it to anyone visting the area.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

My experiences at Maison Gouin have been so poor that the last time I was there, in line to purchase a moussaka takeoff, this time being overstepped to wait on a French client, that I swore I wouldn t go back, and this is it. The staff at Maison Gouin are exactly of the posture that makes travellers shiver when they think of the snuffy French attitude. It is such a shame when you consider how many kind, civil French people there are who have the patience to go out of the way to help the lost visitor, blees them all! But stay away from Maison Gouin unless you want to observe what a really rude French person is..they take the cake (and your money)
A year or two ago I booked Friday lunch because of the plat du jour and..at noon, was told that they were "out" and fifteen minutes afterwards they took an order for the same plat from a neighboring late arrival...I could mention too an overpriced wine label switch...forget it, Gouin. No more this local who learns slowly but well.

1  Thank Susan M
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Not sure if I have review La Maison Gouin before.
The location in Coustellet (or Maubec) is non-descript, you would literally pass it if you didn't know about it. Inside there's a treasure trove of food and drink.
I generally don't find much point in describing food (I had smoked salmon and blini starter and then a steak with bearnaise butter) last night we had various plates around the table, and everyone was quiet and happy as they ate.
You can go to the cellar and pick your own wine, we had one called "un secret de famille" (Chasson, 2006 Ventoux).
Quite randomly Monsieur Gouin's (you can regularly find him generally smiling in the kitchen) wife also sells high quality leather bags and shoes, which adds an odd randomness in the traiteur. The restaurant is at the back...there are no shoes there!
Anyhow, fantastic place.

1  Thank fearanti
Reviewed March 28, 2013 via mobile

after a week of Michelin stars restaurants we got a to pointing us to this restaurant. We came early to reserve a place and the chef welcomed us saying he can make whatever we wish for dessert. We chose dark chocolate moose. we came in the evening, first choosing great wine from an enormous wine cellar selection, than eating the steak and lamb and finishing with the creme brule and the moose.. Service was extraordinary and atmosphere as well!! Great choice if you happen to be around the luberon area

3  Thank Eyal P
Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

The food wasn't bad, but even by French standards, the service was not only sub-standard, but verging on the down-right rude! We are used to having to adapt to France's idiosyncratic approach to customer service, but this was way beyond a cultural difference - it was totally unacceptable! A very disappointing exoerience!