“I wonder how they would feel??”

Hotel La Bastide du Bois Breant
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maubec
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My wife and I booked a 7 night stay at the hotel back in January 2012 with the previous owners and were very much looking forward to our stay. Unfortunately, and only one day into our Provence vacation, I suffered an unfortunate accident which necessitated me being airlifted from the scene of the accident to Nimes hospital. As a result of the injuries I suffered we were not able to continue our trip as planned which included moving on to Bois Breant and the Luberon in accordance with our schedule. When our then hosts telephoned Bois Breant on our behalf to explain the situation they encountered little sympathy and Bois Breant refused to entertain any thoughts of refunding even a portion of the 25% deposit we had paid on booking.
Frankly, and based upon the mixed reviews that the establishment has received under the new owners, I was not surprised at this turn of events. Indeed, from a ruthless business point of view I can even understand their position to a certain extent. However, the kicker is that they wrote to me and asked for an additional cancellation payment of 148 euros in addition to the 259 euros we had already paid. I understand that people have to make a living and that cancellation policies are needed to protect accommodation owners from unscrupulous guests who might decide to cancel a booking on a whim. Given our circumstances, however, I do not think it unreasonable to expect just a little bit of consideration for our situation. Refund some of the deposit? Keep it all and leave it at that? Not a chance.
Obviously I cannot comment upon the establishment as we have not seen it, nor upon the owners as we have not met them. Based upon our particular experience neither of these 2 situations is likely to be changed any time soon. There are plenty of good small hotels/B&B's in Provence and Bois Breant can rest assured we shall not be staying with them when we are once again able to visit the Luberon.
If readers are at all interested in how things can be handled in a crisis please refer to my review of La Bastide Sainte Anne.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TransplantedBrit

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Was very excited and looked forward to staying at Bastide du Bois Breant. Photos on the website were very attractive. The actual house and yard did not disappoint. We a party of 3 had reserved the suite - Buisson Ardente.
The suite was on the ground floor just off the courtyard. The door opened immediately into the bedroom . It was very spacious, furnished with 2 single beds which (could be converted into a king), a huge armoire, a pretty writing table with a chair, and one armchair and a television. There was no window, and for air, we had to leave the door open. There was another door at the other end of the room which opened up to the back of the building and the woods A smaller, much smaller room lead off the bedroom. That was my bedroom. A narrow iron french day bed, one small 3 shelf storage system, and a minibar, took up the whole of the room. It did not even have a chair. What would I do with a minibar? There was only one lamp which was fine, except that the pillows were placed on the end of the bed away from the lamp making it difficult for one to read in bed.
According to the copy on the website, my room could have been used as a " living room". If so, where could one place the obligatory armchairs, and TV? It would make a very dreary living room.
One of the two big pluses - the bathroom. It was huge with two sinks and a very powerful shower;
I did take a peek in one of the rooms above us, and I must say, it was beautifully furnished.
Services - when we arrived there were only 2 complimentary bottles of water. When I told the owner that the suite was booked for 3 she said that each room receives only 2 bottles. There were only two sets of towels. I had to ask for another set. On 4th day we again got only 2 sets of towels. Same with the toiletries. When the hair dryer shorted, the Bois Breant did not have a spare. The patron had to wait for a client to check out.
The breakfast was standard hotel fare served in a lovely dining room.
My biggest disgruntle was the dinner we were served. We decided to have dinner at the Bastide on the evening of the French elections. The appetizer was a zucchini tart. It was edible. Our main course was a piece of broiled chicken with a ratatouille of zuchinni and peppers and creamed potatoes. It was bland. With all the wonderful herbs in the garden , the local olive oils etc. the chef could have done better. The dessert was a crumble, seconds were offered, which we declined, followed by a selection of cheeses. However, we were only offered slivers and no seconds. Rather stingy, I thought. I had also expected linen napkins. Instead we got paper napkins, the same ones that we got at breakfast. For 28 euros I certainly expected better. Not fancy or elaborate, but tasty provencal inspired dishes.
Now for the other plus - the courtyard, the gardens and the pool. It was very relaxing to stroll the gardens, and sit in the courtyard for breakfast. Some of the flowers were in bloom. The house was quite lovely, and the dogs were an entertainment. The setting for the Bastide is lovely, If you do go, do not go as a triple, and choose to eat dinner at another restaurant.
One observation - it appeared that the owner/manager assumed all the roles, from receptionist, to housekeeper, waitress, to chef?

Room Tip: If your party is a triple the suite Buisson Ardente has only an uncomfortable day bed for the third...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank sheila026
Reviewed September 8, 2012

What a wonderful time in a beuatiful setting with access to all that Provence has to offer. We stayed in the Hotel & a tree house which was a novel treat, waking up in the woods to see Red Squirrels was a first.
We would highly recommend this hotel & will definitely be staying again.
Sandrine was a wonderful hostess.
Jane & Peter
Aug 2012

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2012

The hotel occupies a rambling and characterful Provencal country house, built around a courtyard where breakfast and dinner are served. The building is set in several acres of wooded parkland, where you can enjoy some superb views of the surrounding vineyards and Mont Ventoux in the far distance. Tables and benches are provided, and it is a beautiful place to enjoy a peaceful pre-dinner glass or two of Cotes de Luberon. There is a nice pool (adequate rather than large in size) surrounded by manicured lawns, and pleasantly shaded by trees in parts for those requiring it. All in all, a beautiful and quintessentially Provencal spot.

Our room was of a decent size, with one or two nice old pieces of furniture, and a small room attached where a 3rd person could sleep comfortably. The wetroom had a massive shower and two separate basins. All the rooms were furnished and appointed with considerable, albeit understated, style. The room had two entrances, one on the pool side of the hotel (with our own table and chairs for sitting out), and the other giving directly onto the inner courtyard where meals were taken. It was great to just step out of our room and find our table waiting for us (or to stagger a few steps after dinner!).

Breakfast consisted of the usual coffee, croissants and baguettes, as well as a selection of fruit, local cheeses and charcuterie and some excellent dark bread. They would cook eggs if you asked them. They also had an amazing selection of home made jams. The dinner menu was chalked up on a blackboard, and you had to order it by 11 am. Officially, there was no choice, although Madame was perfectly happy to provide an alternative starter when requested to do so. She did the cooking herself, and used fresh local produce. This was not Michelin star standard, and did not pretend to be. It was good local fare, playing to the Provencal strengths. The wine list was small and largely consisted of local stuff - exactly as it should be. The food was excellent overall, and the setting superb. I did not hear any complaints about the food from the largely French clientele.

This was our first time at Bois-Breant, and we therefore had no preconceptions as to what we would find, other than, of course, what we could read on Tripadvisor and the fact that it is in the Michelin guide. The hotel is family-run. It is fairly laid-back, and it is true that the reception is not always manned. Madame is quite a formidable presence, but she could not have been nicer or more helpful to us, to the extent of divulging to my wife one of her "secret" dessert recipes and seamlessly sorting out various minor crises. Her husband and other members of her family serve at mealtimes and generally do all the stuff that hotel staff do. It is quite true that the service is not as polished as it would be if this were one of the many swanky establishments that the Luberon boasts. That is not to say that the service is poor. It is just that this is obviously run by a family and to my mind all the better for that.

In fact, in my view this is close to the perfect Provencal getaway, both in terms of location and style. It is perhaps not for you if you want the slick (and doubtless insincere) attitude and service of a Michelin-starred palace. But for an authentic and gloriously unfussy taste of Provence it would be hard to beat.

Room Tip: Try one of the suites.
Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank owen100
Sandrine G, Propriétaire at Hotel La Bastide du Bois Breant, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Thank you again for this beautiful message!
All is said, it is difficult to add anything else because that's what we want to shine!
Finally a comment that accurately describes the atmosphere of the Bastide!
A warm family atmosphere, where crosses from the portal, you feel good, like staying with friends!
And among friends, we have one thing in mind is to go back!

Reviewed August 22, 2012

We recently stayed here as part of our honeymoon in provence. We had a fabulous time, the accomodation is lovely and spotless and the pool and gardens are beautiful. We stayed for three nights and enjoyed it so much we came back for another night at the end of our trip and stayed in one of the tree houses which was a wonderful experience! We found the hosts to be very friendly and helpful - even looking up google maps to help my husband find a nearby running route. We also found the food to be of a very high standard. We ate at the hotel two of the four nights, went to another local restaurant one night and bought ourselves a picnic which we enjoyed in the grounds whilst watching the sun go down on one night. On the last morning we had to leave prior to breakfast so we could get to Avignon and we were offered coffee at least twice by different members of the family and then given a goody bag with croissants and yoghurt. Overall we found the hotel to be clean, peaceful and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2012

Trying to review BB is a real challenge. This was a return visit as the result of a superb experience when owned by Vivienne and Phillipe.

The house is just as it was last year, the pool remains inviting, the rooms are spotless but there is something missing.

The food - having eaten so very well last year - was poor in its execution. The starters were amateurish, with no ‘style’. The main course was very basis – a lump of meat on a plate. The cheese course – this is where BB excelled and continues to do so. Desert – having a slice of pastry (very good) on a plain plate is not desert in a French restaurant. The wine list was fine.

The attention paid to guests has also diminished. No questions as to activities or suggestions as to other restaurants (they now provide meals every evening)

Two additional examples of where we see the property having changed -

The daughter of the property had ‘commendeered’ the pool with friends (or family) resulting in no pool chairs being available. Her mother had to ask them to ‘remove themselves’. Not a relaxed atmosphere.

When we departed, we asked if they were enjoying owning the property and only received complaints from the owners as to the long hours and that the previous owners had exaggerated how easy it would be to manage the property. Unnecessary and unprofessional.

The BB gained a huge crowd of admirers and deservedly so – it was truly professional and yes, Vivienne and Phillipe are missed.

Suggestion – if you have visited BB before, I think that you may be disappointed; if you have not been there before, it is a good place but there are many just as good – and eat elsewhere.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Stewart R
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I booked this hotel based on the reviews on Trip Advisor, primarily because the services of the owners and the beautiful gardens. Unfortunately for my fiancé and I, Philippe and Viviane no longer run this hotel. Until recently, this hotel did not have any ratings below 'average'. And in the space of three months it now has three terrible ratings.

To cut a long story short, the service was terrible (hence the rating) and the owners were rude to us after a (not cheap) 5 night stay.

This is my first ever review on Trip Advisor. I have stayed at around 75 different hotels across 26 different countries over the past 10 years ranging from hostels to 5 star hotels, but this is the only hotel I have felt so strongly about (in a negative way) that I had to write a review. Plenty of great hotels out there but this is not one of them in my opinion.

The positives: the gardens are beautiful and well kept, the property looks wonderful, the breakfast quality is good although the portions were small, the rooms are clean and tidy, we slept well and the hotel has two wonderful dogs.

But the negative, and it is a big negative, is the SERVICE! It is not poor, it is just non-existent! I never thought the service of a hotel could have had such an impact on our stay (even once we had left) but it did. I could write a dissertation on why it was so appalling but will summarise the main issues we had (note, the summary is quite long):

- there was no one there to greet us when we arrived (in the middle of the afternoon) despite ringing the reception telephone;
- when someone did turn up, the member of staff wasn't friendly and didn't say "welcome" or anything that could be considered a welcome;
- the member of staff tried carrying my fiancé's suitcase. When struggling to carry it, he rudely said to her that she should have packed less;
- we asked the on duty member of staff for some recommendations of restaurants, where we could hire bikes locally, what events were happening in the local villages etc. but the only response we got was "I've only been here 10 days and cannot help you." When pushed, he said that we could wait for the owner for 30 mins and she could help. So we came back thirty minutes later and he hadn't passed on the message and the owner was nowhere to be seen;
- One young lady to her credit tried her best to help us with some questions, but my French and her English were not good enough to have a meaningful conversation;
- no members of staff are ever at reception and you have to ring the reception phone for them to come. You have to wait ages!;
- We met the owner on the second day. We didn't get a welcome from her at breakfast, or from any of the other staff. Sometimes after we said "Bonjour", but never before. Afterwards breakfast, I went to say hi to the owner and get some information from the owner about local restaurants, events etc. Rather than answering my question, she asked in a rude tone "Are you staying with us?" Blanks me at breakfast and then questions whether I am staying at the hotel! Nice work. Her advice was not very good and she appear preoccupied;
- Pool towels: we called reception who told us they should be in our room - they weren't - we called again and were told that they are only available to guests who stay for 3 nights or more, otherwise you have to pay. They asked us to pay until we reminded them that we were staying for 5 nights (and they didn't even know this by day 4)! We were then told that we had to go collect the towels from reception, until we put our feet down and told them to bring them to us;
- Regularly ignored by the owner at breakfast and she never asked if I would like cooked breakfast. I had to find her and ask!
- Departure: this was a disaster. Went to reception. No one there. Used the phone to call for a member of staff. Spoke to the owner who said she would be there straight aware. She certainly took her time. When she eventually arrived, she said NOTHING to us and just stared blankly out the window. We left and didn't even get a "Thank you for staying with us" - NOT A WORD about
how grateful they were to receive our custom. NOTHING!

There are tonnes more examples of the inadequate service, but I wont rant any more.

I must share the cherry on the cake however. I decided to fill in one of the feedback forms in the room. I gave my honest feedback about how the hotel was good (as per above) but the service was shocking. If I ever receive a response to my feedback, it is normally along the lines of "Thank you for your feedback. We take on board your comments and hope to see you again soon" but not this time. I received two emails back from the owners and in summary:

- they insulted me and my fiancé;
- they were patronising and made unfounded assumptions about our personalities;
- they can't take criticism and get very defensive if you don't agree with them;
- they told us they found us "closed" people (this is not the case, but even if it was true I'm not sure why they are trying undertaking a character assassination of their guests);
- they told us that we should "try to talk some more with people who welcome you [sic]". Hilarious as we did try talking to them but they didn't want to talk to us and never welcomed us!
- they didn't take on board our feedback, so I had to repeat it to them;
- they said in a final response to us "Fortunately we are very popular with our customers without exception". Um, we are your customers and didn't enjoy our stay! Essentially with this comment they are saying, we don't care about your custom or your feedback because we are popular without it. Well what is the point in having feedback forms if you can't take the feedback on the chin, accept how you made us feel, learn from it and improve?

I would have given this hotel 2 out of 5 if the owners weren't rude and insulting when responding to my feedback. Potential to be a 4 out of 5 if the service improves to a good standard (i.e. to the standard that the previous owners appeared to have achieved)!

I expect further character assassinations and defensive comments from the owners in response to this review. If I am proved wrong, then well done Sandrine and Jean-Marc - you've learnt to listen!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Douglas W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maubec
Mas de la Senancole
#1 of 2 in Coustellet
Coquillade Village
Coquillade Village
#1 of 1 in Gargas

Been to Hotel La Bastide du Bois Breant? Share your experiences!