We travelled to Cost Rica for 2 weeks in mid-November - the whole trip was absolutely incredible and Dantica lodge/the time we spent in San Gerardo de Dota really helped to make this an incredible trip.
We stayed for 4 nights and were surprised by the number of people who literally only go there for a night or two just to see the Quetsals - I'd have felt so dissappointed if I only had one night at this place.
We stayed in the Deluxe suite, which has the addition of having a log fire in the room as well as an ethanol burner (loved the log fire every night!). The juccuzi was nice too! It also has a balcony connected to a small private walk, amazing views and was generally just completely beautiful. We enjoyed having a glass of wine on the sofa, just looking out over the valley and watching the sun set at night - it was absolutely perfect! I will say it is a fair old trek to that particular room - we're young and fit and so didn't mind, but it is a good 1km away from the main entrance/dining room with quite a few steps on the trail. This was generally fine, but got more difficult when we had to leave at 5am on the last day (which is earlier than the baggage transport service they offer) and trying to get the bags along that trail was tiring!! Not Dantica's fault though - the fact that the bungalows are so far away and remote is one of the great parts about it because it means that all have fantastic views.
Carlos was a fantastic guide - he obviously loves his job and brought his son along with use to learn for the last couple of trips we had, which was a bonus all round as he could be an extra pair of eyes. We saw soooo many bird species it was a bit mind blowing, including the Quetsal and the absolutely beautiful chlorophonia really close up eating fruit from a bush (which is apparently so rare to see a group of them so close). In one morning we saw >35 different species of bird. We also saw a confused bat flying around during the day time. To be honest though, if you don't like birds this area probably isn't for you as there's not much other than birds around. For us it was a fantastic change to the two other areas we were visiting (Tortuguero and the Osa Peninsula).
The managers of the lodge were fantastic too - always happy to help.
Overall, if you want to go this area, I really can't recommend it highly enough!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge is an eco-boutique hotel, which was built between 2003 and 2008. Our hotel provides the following facilities; sleeping, restaurant, gallery, trails, tours and relaxing, combining quality and comfort in order to allow you to experience and enjoy the cloud forest in its purest form.The hotel is situated in the valley of San Gerardo de Dota. Inside the Los Santos Forest Reserve, on top of a hill with a breathtaking view and a private reserve that consists of 5 km of walking trails, Dantica is the closest hotel to the newly created Los Quetzales National Park. Nearby you can also find typical restaurants, trails, trout fishing, protected areas, National Parks and the Cerro de la Muerte, with its 3480 meters the second highest point in Costa Rica and with a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean and the volcanoes.The Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge consist of 8 Bungalows with a modern interior design and decorated with typical aspects of the Latin American culture, distributed in 7 Superior bungalows and one Suite, especially designed so you can enjoy contact with nature. All Bungalows have the following facilities: queen-sized beds with goose-feather duvets, Satellite television, ecological chimney working on ethanol, safe deposit box, minibar with fridge, coffee maker with coffee and tea as a courtesy of the hotel, table with chairs and a private terrace. In the bathroom you will find a Jacuzzi, towels, biodegradable soaps and shampoos, and a hair dryer.The 4-person Superior Bungalows have two bedrooms with private bathroom (one with Jacuzzi, one with shower), a terrace and a living room with a fully equipped open kitchen including stove and warm water.Our Deluxe Suite additionally has an additional fireplace working on wood and a private garden with trail in the forest. All our hot water is solar heated. The hotel distinguishes itself by its personalized attention, harmony with nature and respect for the environment. At the restaurant you can enjoy a breakfast, lunch or dinner a la carte. In our beautiful and large gallery you can buy art and handicrafts from Costa Rica and other Latin American countries.We have WIFI high speed internet service, and offer parking lots, playground for children, laundry service and tour packages with a certified bilingual guide. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, HostelWorld, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets and Evoline ltd so you can book your Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge And Gallery Hotel San Gerardo De Dota
- Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge Costa Rica/San Gerardo De Dota