We stayed here at the end of our honeymoon to Costa Rica. I had read that you reached the rooms via a winding path but I don't think I really took into account what that meant. It was a good ten minute walk from the restaurant / reception to our room and it was through the forest and even though there were lights along the pathway flashlights were still needed. I didn't like having to fend off insects flying at me every time we left the room. My fault entirely for not understanding the description properly.
There were a few things which also rankled - the safety deposit box was broken in our room so we couldn't lock valuables away. There was supposed to be wifi in all rooms but we could only get connected for one day out of the four.
There was no where to really sit and chill out other than the room as the staff only seemed to appear around mealtimes and the first day we arrived after travelling 6 hours we couldn't get anything to eat as they were doing a stocktake.
We were also unfortunate on the second day that the chef slipped and hurt his back and had to go to hospital so we ended up with a couple of chocolate bars from the minibar for dinner.
When we chose the location both my husband and I were fit and healthy but unfortunately I was still recovering from major surgery and he was getting over a chest infection before we travelled so neither of us were up to the walks within the grounds as the terrain was very hilly. Unfortunately unless you were on a paid excursion with transport it was really impossible to get anywhere without transport. We tried to arrange for a guide to take us out on our second morning there but bad luck struck again and the guide was unwell so we had no option but to hang around the grounds all day.
The main saving grace for us was Miriam's restaurant which is 200 metres (felt more like 500 to us) up the road. A lovely place where the woodpeckers, tanagers and squirrel come to the bird table.
We had deliberately booked accommodation in the area in order to increase chances of seeing the Quetzal and thankfully we were not disappointed. We joined the 05:45 tour and were taken to the wild avocado trees and after about 20 minutes the birds came to feed and I was able to take some brilliant photos - thank you to Carlos for his wonderful skills in knowing where to look for these birds.
As other reviewers have said - it can get very cold up here. We found that, depending on where the sun was our room was rather like a greenhouse - either baking hot or really quite chilly. To go to the bathroom at night I had to slip my fleece on - but, you get what you pay for and if you book accommodation in a cloud forest you have to expect the different temperatures
The staff in the restaurant were really helpful and friendly and the food was ok. I wasn't keen on the limited choice for breakfast as you chose from 5 set menus and I didn't find any of them particularly appealing.
This accommodation may well suit somebody wanting to 'get back to nature' but I am afraid that it would not be my choice if we were going back to the same area. Some more communal areas to get a coffee or juice during the day and somewhere to sit other than the room would have made a lot of difference.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge is an eco-boutique hotel, which was built between 2003 and 2008. Our hotel provides the following facilities; sleeping, restaurant, gallery, trails, tours and relaxing, combining quality and comfort in order to allow you to experience and enjoy the cloud forest in its purest form.The hotel is situated in the valley of San Gerardo de Dota. Inside the Los Santos Forest Reserve, on top of a hill with a breathtaking view and a private reserve that consists of 5 km of walking trails, Dantica is the closest hotel to the newly created Los Quetzales National Park. Nearby you can also find typical restaurants, trails, trout fishing, protected areas, National Parks and the Cerro de la Muerte, with its 3480 meters the second highest point in Costa Rica and with a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean and the volcanoes.The Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge consist of 8 Bungalows with a modern interior design and decorated with typical aspects of the Latin American culture, distributed in 7 Superior bungalows and one Suite, especially designed so you can enjoy contact with nature. All Bungalows have the following facilities: queen-sized beds with goose-feather duvets, Satellite television, ecological chimney working on ethanol, safe deposit box, minibar with fridge, coffee maker with coffee and tea as a courtesy of the hotel, table with chairs and a private terrace. In the bathroom you will find a Jacuzzi, towels, biodegradable soaps and shampoos, and a hair dryer.The 4-person Superior Bungalows have two bedrooms with private bathroom (one with Jacuzzi, one with shower), a terrace and a living room with a fully equipped open kitchen including stove and warm water.Our Deluxe Suite additionally has an additional fireplace working on wood and a private garden with trail in the forest. All our hot water is solar heated. The hotel distinguishes itself by its personalized attention, harmony with nature and respect for the environment. At the restaurant you can enjoy a breakfast, lunch or dinner a la carte. In our beautiful and large gallery you can buy art and handicrafts from Costa Rica and other Latin American countries.We have WIFI high speed internet service, and offer parking lots, playground for children, laundry service and tour packages with a certified bilingual guide. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Travelocity, HostelWorld and Evoline ltd so you can book your Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge And Gallery Hotel San Gerardo De Dota
- Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge Costa Rica/San Gerardo De Dota