This was the last place we stayed on our three week trip to Costa Rica, for two nights, intended as a bit of luxury after all that jungle. San Gerardo is very different from most places in CR - Dantica is at 2600 metres, and the climate is sub-alpine. It gets cold at night, and we thought it would be good to re-acclimatise ready for the UK.
We booked the cabin furthest from the road and reception for privacy. On arrival, we were taken to our cabin, and it felt like we acquired altitude sickness on the way up, it was such a long way. There's a hotline to reception half way up if you need to order oxygen! When we finally arrived, we both collapsed on the bed in hysterics, half-exhausted, half-triumphant. The cabin was very nice, small, but adequate for two, and had a heater, which you really need at night, as no-one seems to have introduced insulation to Costa Rica yet! The heaters were terrifying, just a naked flame, but ran on something a lot like rum, and made a great smell. The views are wonderful, with huge picture windows, and we spent a lot of time just looking. There are plenty of walks from the lodge (it has a lot of trails within the property) and we heard the Black-faced Solitaire, one of the most magical sounds of the whole trip.
On the downside, it wasn't quite as luxurious as it was trying to be: there was a lack of attention to detail, (bath plugs that didn't plug, thus wasting water, poor service in the restaurant despite excellent food etc); and the bathroom floor was like a skating rink, with the gaping hole of the enormous sunken bath in the middle of it, to finish off the unwary, or those drunk on the fumes from the heater.....And mind you don't tread on the garden in reception. Another word of warning - all the cabins look exactly the same - make sure it's yours before entering!
Overall though, Dantica is a good place to stay, we found the caretaker and receptionist extremely helpful........
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge is an eco-boutique hotel, which was built between 2003 and 2008. Our hotel provides the following facilities; sleeping, restaurant, gallery, trails, tours and relaxing, combining quality and comfort in order to allow you to experience and enjoy the cloud forest in its purest form.The hotel is situated in the valley of San Gerardo de Dota. Inside the Los Santos Forest Reserve, on top of a hill with a breathtaking view and a private reserve that consists of 5 km of walking trails, Dantica is the closest hotel to the newly created Los Quetzales National Park. Nearby you can also find typical restaurants, trails, trout fishing, protected areas, National Parks and the Cerro de la Muerte, with its 3480 meters the second highest point in Costa Rica and with a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean and the volcanoes.The Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge consist of 8 Bungalows with a modern interior design and decorated with typical aspects of the Latin American culture, distributed in 7 Superior bungalows and one Suite, especially designed so you can enjoy contact with nature. All Bungalows have the following facilities: queen-sized beds with goose-feather duvets, Satellite television, ecological chimney working on ethanol, safe deposit box, minibar with fridge, coffee maker with coffee and tea as a courtesy of the hotel, table with chairs and a private terrace. In the bathroom you will find a Jacuzzi, towels, biodegradable soaps and shampoos, and a hair dryer.The 4-person Superior Bungalows have two bedrooms with private bathroom (one with Jacuzzi, one with shower), a terrace and a living room with a fully equipped open kitchen including stove and warm water.Our Deluxe Suite additionally has an additional fireplace working on wood and a private garden with trail in the forest. All our hot water is solar heated. The hotel distinguishes itself by its personalized attention, harmony with nature and respect for the environment. At the restaurant you can enjoy a breakfast, lunch or dinner a la carte. In our beautiful and large gallery you can buy art and handicrafts from Costa Rica and other Latin American countries.We have WIFI high speed internet service, and offer parking lots, playground for children, laundry service and tour packages with a certified bilingual guide. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, HostelWorld and Evoline ltd so you can book your Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge And Gallery Hotel San Gerardo De Dota
- Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge Costa Rica/San Gerardo De Dota