My wife and I visited Dantica Lodge as part of our 3 weeks in Costa Rica on the recommendation of a neighbour and it turned out to be one of the best recommendations we received!
From the moment we arrived we felt like we were in a different country. We were literally above the clouds!
This was just the start though as were were led through the forest to our lodge high up in the oak trees with magnificent views through the huge windows which take up a whole wall in the lodge. The views are amazing and the quiet was such a relief after 3 days in San Jose!
After dinner in the stylish restaurant (we both had the trout- fantastic!) we wandered back to our solitude in the forest and lit the fire place (which burns ethanol- it was a nice touch) and sat in the jacuzzi to wind off the day. And another plus, there were NO MOSQUITOES here. Apparently it is too high for them at 2500m!
The following morning we did a Quetzal tour which was led by a local guide who knew nearly every bird flying past. He was very patient and entertaining using recordings of bird calls on his phone to call the Quetzals in the trees. It must of worked because we saw 3 of these beautiful birds!
We highly recommend this special place for a couple of days of something really different in Costa Rica. Thank you for a wonderful experience. Hope to be back some day!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge is an eco-boutique hotel, which was built between 2003 and 2008. Our hotel provides the following facilities; sleeping, restaurant, gallery, trails, tours and relaxing, combining quality and comfort in order to allow you to experience and enjoy the cloud forest in its purest form.The hotel is situated in the valley of San Gerardo de Dota. Inside the Los Santos Forest Reserve, on top of a hill with a breathtaking view and a private reserve that consists of 5 km of walking trails, Dantica is the closest hotel to the newly created Los Quetzales National Park. Nearby you can also find typical restaurants, trails, trout fishing, protected areas, National Parks and the Cerro de la Muerte, with its 3480 meters the second highest point in Costa Rica and with a beautiful view of the Pacific Ocean and the volcanoes.The Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge consist of 8 Bungalows with a modern interior design and decorated with typical aspects of the Latin American culture, distributed in 7 Superior bungalows and one Suite, especially designed so you can enjoy contact with nature. All Bungalows have the following facilities: queen-sized beds with goose-feather duvets, Satellite television, ecological chimney working on ethanol, safe deposit box, minibar with fridge, coffee maker with coffee and tea as a courtesy of the hotel, table with chairs and a private terrace. In the bathroom you will find a Jacuzzi, towels, biodegradable soaps and shampoos, and a hair dryer.The 4-person Superior Bungalows have two bedrooms with private bathroom (one with Jacuzzi, one with shower), a terrace and a living room with a fully equipped open kitchen including stove and warm water.Our Deluxe Suite additionally has an additional fireplace working on wood and a private garden with trail in the forest. All our hot water is solar heated. The hotel distinguishes itself by its personalized attention, harmony with nature and respect for the environment. At the restaurant you can enjoy a breakfast, lunch or dinner a la carte. In our beautiful and large gallery you can buy art and handicrafts from Costa Rica and other Latin American countries.We have WIFI high speed internet service, and offer parking lots, playground for children, laundry service and tour packages with a certified bilingual guide. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HostelWorld and Evoline ltd so you can book your Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge And Gallery Hotel San Gerardo De Dota
- Dantica Cloud Forest Lodge Costa Rica/San Gerardo De Dota