“Thank you Anne, Paul and David.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Risby
The White Horse Coaching Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Risby B&B and Inns
“Thank you Anne, Paul and David.”
Reviewed June 5, 2013 via mobile

I have been staying at the White Horse at Risby Monday to Friday for the last eleven weeks whilst working in Bury St. Edmunds.
The hotel is a lovely 16th century building with loads of character and the odd ghost.
Anne, Paul and David are brilliant hosts and make a great team, the rooms are all spotless and the food is excellent and good value for money.
I would like to thank them for making staying away from home a pleasure rather than a chore and will definitely be returning.

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Wiltshire England
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in May. The hotel was easy to find just off the A14, however because it is so close you do hear the road, not terrible because there are good double glazed windows (in the room we had) but you notice it if you are not used to it.
Overall it was about as expected for the price we paid. It does generally feel a bit tired and in need of some TLC but for 2 nights it was fine.
We stayed in the Huntingdon Suite which was really quite nice with a separate lounge area with TV and leather sofa. The bedroom was a nice size with actually very nice furniture made of solid wood. The sheets were clean and generally the room was fine. 2 Issues were that the towels were definitely beyond their sell by date and it would have been better if the (small) en-suite had an extractor fan.
You will find much nicer places around but you will probably have to pay a lot more for them.
The owner and manager were both very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Over night stay and it was adequate for just that. The rooms represent what the place is, 14th century I think I read somewhere (could be wrong) very cosy with the heaters, the bed was comfy and warm. It is not the Ritz and I wouldn't expect it to be, the windows are not double glazed as you wouldn't expect them to be and the décor also matches the age and style of the B&B, the rooms hold their own in my opinion. The shower in the Aintree suit went from cold to blazing hot just by touching the dial but if it is not moved then them temperature is adequate and the shaver light did not work.

The English breakfast wasn't impressive at all, you could see more plate than food but it was bearable for a 1 night stay.

I can't comment on what the service would be like for more than one night as I only stayed the one, I would expect the tea and coffee, biscuits in the room to be replenished but I cannot comment on that.

Overall I would say the only thing that was letting the place down in the time I stayed there was the breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Loughborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I have just had three nights at the White Horse as I was working near to the Inn. When I am next in the area this will be my choice of accommodation. A friendly welcome from Anne the owner, clean room, a comfy bed and clean sheets, tea and coffee, wi-fi what more do you need?
The sirloin steak was so good I had to have another and never managed to eat my way through the menu, breakfast equally as good thanks to Paul. I have paid a lot more for a steak elsewhere but this was quality. As they only cater for residents it may seem quiet but you do get a good nights sleep without disturbance. It was nice to stay in a friendly place and not the impersonal hotels I often find myself in. Keep it up Anne and Paul and thanks.

Room Tip: I was on the second floor and it was fine.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed March 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the White Horse while we were in England over Christmas holiday. It really was a delightful place to stay. The caretakers were very nice. We had some great conversations about the history of the place. The full English breakfast was really a nice surprise for me being an American. My husband who is from England enjoyed it just as much. It was big and it was tasty. I can assure you that the meal that we had was not microwaved, or as I have read in some of these reviews, but it was home cooked and all fresh. The caretakers went out of their way to make us feel welcome. By the way, we did experience footsteps that seemed to walk across the wood floor in our room early in the morning.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Marywoodshello
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Perhaps this hotel is wonderful inside - but I will never know, as when I showed up there was nobody there to let us in. They were happy to still charge my card though and when I called them the owner screamed at me down the phone. I certainly don't recommend booking with this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
15 Thank Northwest3

Travelers are raving about these Risby hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I Arrived at the Hotel to be greated by a young smallish Gentlemen with slicked back, black hair i think he was new as there was someone else before but he seemed very confused and didn't really know what he was doing, which wasn't very reassuring i think he tryed to hard. Putting that aside the room was ok maybe a little to small if i was being picky, and the area seemed to have a not so nice smell. In the evening i decided to come down and try the food..... big mistake. the food itself was all frozen food apart from the chips, the only good thing is the portion size. While eating the food i saw the land lady scowling at me and not treating the staff well. The land lady came over while i was eating(as i was the only one in there) to great herself which i didn't have a problem with but she was talking through out the hole time i was trying to eat my frozen microwave meal about aload of s**t . shes not to bad i guess trying to be friendly.... but once again trying to hard. at 9pm i had to go upstairs to my small smelly room as the bar shuts at 9pm.

Overall the stay was under average i slept ok, room was alright apart from smell.. The receptionist /bar tender was not so good very efficient but not great. Food was frozen. and Strange land lady. if you cant find anywhere else in the area i would advice it but i would consider a prison cell as you get cooked meal and better staff and wont here the A14 all night.

Room Tip: try to get a room at the front to avoid noise from road
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank manurock400
Also consider these accommodations in or near Risby
Best Western Priory Hotel
Best Western Priory Hotel
#7 of 11 in Bury St. Edmunds
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town Centre Hotel
Premier Inn Bury St Edmunds Town...
#1 of 11 in Bury St. Edmunds
Highwaymans Rooms & Self Catering
The Three Kings
The Three Kings
#12 of 53 in Bury St. Edmunds

Been to The White Horse Coaching Inn? Share your experiences!