“Definitely coming back!”

Rancho Margot
GreenLeadersGold level
“Definitely coming back!”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My husband and I just came back from our honeymoon in Costa Rica. We stayed in Rancho Margot for a week and I have to say that it was such unique experience. We stayed in the bungalow which was private, clean, open to nature, and relaxing. The place is just perfect if you like to explore your surroundings as there is much to see and do. The staff was very nice and helpful as they seem to enjoy working there. With food it was hit or miss. All of there meals were great, but breakfast never changed much. However, I will most likely come back and bring others with me.

Room Tip: Stay in a bungalow, not a bunkhouse!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alexandra G
Travis D, Manager at Rancho Margot, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thanks so much for your feedback and review of Rancho Margot! We definitely look forward to your next visit.
PURA VIDA!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stumbled upon this place when I was traveling through Arenal, and I am so glad that I decided to brave the bumpy road and stay at the resort. Every single employee or volunteer that I encountered taught me something new and acted as though they were genuinely glad that I was there. I stayed in the Bunkhouse, which was just like any nice hostel when traveling. I loved walking around the property and taking pictures of the plants that decorate their paths. The yoga was incredibly relaxing, I had not practiced yoga much before and I was shocked at how quickly I improved. Some of the other guests had practiced yoga and others were newbies as well, so I never felt uncomfortable. I have saved the best for last - the food. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner were each unique and filling. I would recommend getting to know some of employees and volunteers because they all have had very interesting careers prior to the Ranch. One of the chefs used to be the chef at the Playboy mansion! The bar is a great place to hang out at night. I cannot say enough good things about the Ranch, I will be back.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank DanaHanson
Travis D, Manager at Rancho Margot, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Your feedback and review of Rancho Margot is most appreciated and we're so glad that you were able to brave the bumpy road! Next time you visit you'll be happy to see the road has been repaired!
PURA VIDA
Camarillo, California
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed January 2013 prior to meeting friends on the coast. We felt like we were part of a family from the moment we walked into the reception area. Everyone was so helpful and friendly. You should know there are no hairdryers on the property but that took me about 5 minutes to get over. Who really needs one in such a natural and beautiful setting? We had the opportunity to meet many wonderful people, both volunteers for the property and other travelers. The five-hour horseback ride was incredible and our guide was so anxious to tell us about the ranch and his country. We felt like the only persons on earth in our spacious and clean bungalow tucked high in the jungle with a view of Lake Arenal. The owner, Juan, was incredibly knowledgeable and enthusiastic about what has been accomplished and his future plans for Rancho Margot. It was a wonderful experience like we have never had before. We raved about the property, the staff and Juan so much, our daughter has chosen to have her wedding there next year.

Room Tip: We loved Bungalow 15 with a partial view of Lake Arenal. it was about midway up the property
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Travis D, Manager at Rancho Margot, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. It was a pleasure to have you here with us and we are most excited for your daughter's upcoming nuptials at Rancho Margot! We look forward to seeing you again.
Gainesville, Florida, United States
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Such a unique ranch. Couln't have asked for a more relaxing setting in the most beautiful landscape I have ever seen. The best food I have ever experienced in my life, especially breakfast! You are in the rainforest so luxury is limited but the ranch did a fantastic job with the resources given. It's such a beautifully sustained, self-serving place that utilizes what is needed...and that is tuly all we really need.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jessica R
Travis D, Manager at Rancho Margot, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Jessica - We are so happy to read your review and hear of the wonderful time you had at Rancho Margot! We agree with you - breakfast is our most favourite part of the day as well! Come back and share some fresh yogurt and granola with your friends at Rancho Margot sometime :)
Winnipeg
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at Rancho Margot at the end of February 2013. It was the first stop in our trip to Costa Rica and it was a fantastic choice. I wish we set aside more time to stay there! We rented a car and drove from Liberia. I was an interesting drive. The final road to get to the ranch is unpaved and a little rough. We arrived late in the evening and we were a little concerned that we had traveled on this road for so long without reaching our destination but it's literally at the end of the road... and well worth the drive! It's secluded, located in a lush valley south of Lake Arenal. The property is well laid out. We stayed in the cabins. They are beautiful and nicely secluded without being too far from the main dining area. They kindly take your bags for you on a cart as well.

The food is buffet style and offered over a 2-3 hour range so you aren't restricted. I loved that the vegetables were fresh and organic. Overall it was great.

The staff is very friendly and very willing to help you decide where to visit and if they don't have the answer they will call and find out. Our first night the owner, Juan, even took the time to speak with us and explain our options for trips and which he would recommend based on our interests. The staff that do the ranch tour are very knowledgeable and take pride in being involved in such a project.

There are several trails leading from the ranch itself. There is a lookout trail to see Arenal that you can take on your own and a few options for guided trails. We took the horse back tour to a waterfall in the Children's Eternal Rainforest. It turned out to be just the two of us so it was a nice private trip. It was quite the adventure, crossing the river several times and riding up and down some steep areas. Even coming across the very poisonous fer-de-lance snake. The waterfall wasn't as big as I thought it would be (probably because of rainfall amounts) but we were actually able to swim under it as a result. They also offer a ranch tour where they explain all the methods they have implemented to make it a self-sustaining eco lodge. It was fascinating.

Nearby we also visited the Butterfly Conservatory. Really commendable to come from another country and take an abandoned farm area and return it to it's former glory while on your retirement! Worth the visit!

As for La Fortuna, if you want to visit a hot spring and don't feel like spending $30-60 US there's a fantastic option that not a lot of people seem to tell you about. Across from Tabacon there is a parking lot and a yellow gate. You can park along the road (since they don't like you parking in their lot) and take the short walk down the road/path beyond the yellow gate and you will find Rio Arenal. It is the same hot spring river that feeds Tabacon hot springs. It's beautiful and FREE! You can follow the river to your right or pass under the tunnel/bridge to your left and find even more great areas to sit back and relax. One of my favorite spots we found! It's also worth it to visit La Fortuna waterfall. If you go earlier in the day you might even beat the other tourists. A great refreshing swim!

It was a fantastic start to our trip! So happy we stumbled upon this hidden gem.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Travis D, Manager at Rancho Margot, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
We are so delighted to hear of the amazing time you had at Rancho Margot! It was such a pleasure to host you and your boyfriend during your visit with us and we are thrilled that you explored so much of our area while you were here with us. We sincerely hope that the rest of your exploration around Costa Rica was just as glorious as your time here with us, and we so look forward to seeing you both in the future!
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 29, 2013

My friend and I stayed at RM for 3 nights in cabin 10. We were looking for somewhere self-contained, isolated and close to the jungle so we could explore by ourselves. Though there were no extensive jungle trails, RM was completely isolated and really something special. It became the relaxing part of our trip. The owner, Juan, has done incredible things in 10yrs and I think he should be commended. To be more detailed, I've broken down my review into different areas and included one negative:

Facilities:
--------------
RM is a self-sufficient ranch, so quite a big operation by any standards. As such, it has all the facilities the staff and volunteers need to live (not just work) there full-time; all of which are built in an accessible way and available to guests. There's a restaurant, bar, pool, trails, gardens, bike-hire, ponchos, tours, manned reception... even laundry! The only downside is that you can't buy/order/make snacks past a certain time. And due to the isolation from any other towns, if you miss dinner or don't plan ahead you'll be waiting until breakfast for food.

Location:
--------------
RM is located 1hr drive from La Fortuna town at the end of a reaaaally bumpy dirt road, past the small community of El Castillo next to Lake Arenal. The ranch is in a beautiful, peaceful spot, surrounded by rainforest and rivers. This place is about as isolated as you can get (one of the reasons we chose it) with no real services for miles... so don't expect to venture out much. Even most tours charge $40 for pickup/dropoff here. That said, there's usually a free ride to/from town to be had every day and enough to keep you busy for at least 3-4 days on the ranch.

Rooms:
--------------
We stayed in a bungalow which - relative to other places we stayed - was quite large and completely immaculate. It was a fair walk from reception, but that only enhanced the feeling of isolation. Our bungalow had an ensuite bathroom and private balcony/hammock. It could easily sleep a small family with the 2 queen beds, tables, lamps, fan and mosquito nets. We stayed in bungalow 10 (towards the rear) and the view was gorgeous. We could see the hills and hummingbirds, squirrels etc. all-day!

My (tiny) negatives are that A) the garden outside the bungalow was a bit sparse. Bungalows are next to well-used tracks so - personally - it'd be nice if the vegetation was thicker to contain the tranquillity of each bungalow. B) there was no safe. As I've said before, the friendly staff and isolation negated the need... but there's always the thought of losing your passport without one.

Staff/service:
--------------
From what it seemed, most of the staff were volunteers. Regardless of status; every single person we met/talked to was genuinely nice, helpful and courteous. They were all really knowledgeable and into the ideology of RM... it was refreshing to see so many people obviously hoping to make a dent or learn about sustainability. Even if it was just for a couple of weeks.

I have to clarify. Some reviewers have said that - after you're checked in and dropped off - you're forgotten about... and that the staff come first. This is true. HOWEVER this was not a bad thing! We were given a map. We knew where reception was. We knew when and where dinner was served and we were left in peace. This is a working ranch people - the staff have other things to do!

Food:
--------------
Breakfast, lunch and dinner were all Costa Rican staples, self-served buffet-style at set times-of-day. A big deal was made about having an experienced chef flown in to consult with RM kitchen staff... which makes me more critical about the food being a bit bland/basic (and the same every day). Nevertheless it was still tasty, inexpensive, nutritional and safe by any standards. We also did a tour that meant missing dinner. The kitchen were kind enough to make us a small packed lunch to take with us.

This was also one of the few places that served dessert, if you could get some fast enough! Because we stayed in a bungalow, meals were all free - not a bad deal if you ask me!

Tours:
--------------
We didn't do any external tours through RM but there was always someone willing to help in booking them. We got a free lift to/from town with Juan (including an interesting 'briefing' and QA session on RM) and had absolutely no problems at all with connecting transport.

We did attend the free guided tour of the ranch - given by a volunteer, Orellio - who had taken a year out from studying and was obviously enjoying the experience. We discovered he really liked frogs, so the 3 of us went out for a few hours frog-spotting by the lake one night.

Price:
--------------
RM seems very expensive on first glance, but it is definitely worth it. If you stay in a bungalow, you get a LOT inclusive. The bungalows are spacious and beautiful and the ranch is huge. If you're looking for a peaceful, relaxing, tranquil, beautiful portion of holiday this is where to come!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank PeteLightning
Travis D, Manager at Rancho Margot, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Many thanks for your thorough and honest review. It was a pleasure to host you at Rancho Margot and we're so thankful for your input. Until next time, Pura Vida!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We spent 3 nights at Rancho Margot and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
By far the most interesting activity we did was the ranch tour, which was included in the price of our bungalow (normally $20). Guided by Edgar who was extremely knowledgable we explored the various self-sustainable aspects of the ranch including the biogas collector and manure water heater (doesn't smell!), and we seemed to stop every 10 yards to eat or smell something different from the garden. Good fun.
We also took a 3hr horse ride with Aurelio to a look-out point over Lake Arenal and Arenal Volcano (we saw probably 4/5ths of it which apparently is not bad going!). Aurelio made me feel completely comfortable on the well trained horses and was great at pointing out plenty of wildlife along the way (howler and spider monkeys and many birds as well as a dead armadillo).
We were collected from and taken back to La Fortuna and driven to the local Sky Trek canopy tour (at no extra charge) by Fernando the ranch driver who was a lot of fun and very welcoming.
The food at the ranch is fantastic - 90% of it comes from the ranch itself and everyone eats buffet style in the same area - the guests, ranch workers and the volunteers. This can make for a slightly strange dynamic at times, but actually it was fine - everyone was extremely friendly and the dogs including two retriever puppies were great fun. We were very glad to be able to share a beer with Edgar, Aurelio and Fernando on our last night.
We would recommend this highly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Travis D, Manager at Rancho Margot, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for your visit to Rancho Margot! We're so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and to know that you returned home safely. ¡Pura Vida!
Also consider these accommodations in or near El Castillo
#10 of 60 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Hotel El Silencio del Campo
Hotel El Silencio del Campo
#3 of 60 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Rancho Margot? Share your experiences!