Rancho Margot
Hotel Castillo del Arenal(El Castillo)(Great Value!)
$59
$42
Linda Vista Hotel(El Castillo)(Great Value!)
$107
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Lost Iguana Resort & Spa(Arenal Volcano National Park)
$218
$195
Hotels.com
Arenal Lodge(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$135
$96
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$450
TripAdvisor
Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$279
$249
Hotels.com
Hotel Lomas del Volcan(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$158
$144
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Lavas Tacotal(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$83
$80
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$89
  • Breakfast included
Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
$113
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsself sustaininghorseback ridingyoga classeseco lodgefarm tourcosta ricabuffet stylemilk the cowsorganic farmingcarbon footprintevery mealwarm poolworking farmsustainable livingprimary rainforestdaily lifenight hike
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband & I went to Costa Rica for our honeymoon. Rancho Margot was recommended to us by a friend who had stayed there. What a great place! I've never stayed at a resort anything like this before. If you want to be nestled in the rain forest, this place is perfect. Everyone was so friendly that by the end of our stay there, it felt like family. No concerns of anything getting stolen from us and such. Definitely a secluded location. Many activities within a short distance. The ranch tour was pretty amazing. All about sustainability! All meals included and they were all delicious!
Only downsides were: Many mosquitoes outside (though this may have been worse due to our visit being during the rainy season), the road to the ranch was very rough (best handled by a 4 X 4), lack of screens on the windows and doors, & not-so-great-but-tolerable internet service in the restaurant lobby area. Husband & I really enjoyed our stay here & wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Susie V
Reviewed August 12, 2012

This review is long overdue and I don't know if I can add much more than the last couple of reviews, which were excellent in capturing the essence of Rancho Margot. My 23 year old daughter and I stayed at the ranch in March 2011. Unfortunately, it rained most of the time that we were there, but we still enjoyed it very much in spite of the weather, especially the yoga classes with Irun who was absolutely lovely. The yoga studio was next to a babbling brook and it was so peaceful to listen to the water and the birds while practicing yoga. We loved the food, which was healthy and well prepared. The Bungalow was simple, yet clean and comfortable and there weren't really that many bugs while we were there. I especially loved the porch. It was nice to read on the hammock or rocking chair, staying nice and dry while it was raining outside.

We met lots of wonderful, interesting people during our stay at the ranch. There were also several young people who volunteered for several weeks or months at a time. I think it was them and our trip to Rancho Margot in general which inspired my daughter to make some changes in her life. She has since quit her job, moved to Thailand to teach English and then plans to WWOOF for awhile and perhaps even return to Rancho Margot to do the yoga teacher training with Irun next fall.

The road leading to Rancho Margot is very long and bumpy so it's probably not somewhere you want to stay while sightseeing around Arenal. There's plenty to do (yoga, horseback riding, kayaking, swimming, etc) so you actually don't even have to leave the ranch if you don't want to. As a previous reviewer stated, it's more like a destination. And it is indeed a destination that I highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank MonicaKD
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We decided to venture to Rancho Margot for lunch after a hike and we loved it!! The food was buffet-style and was absolutely delicious. One of our favorite meals all trip! We loved that it was so fresh and health-conscious. We would have liked to walk around the grounds (which seemed beautiful) but they only allow this as a tour, $20pp in addition to the $15pp lunch, which seemed pricey so we sadly skipped it. I wish they allowed lunch customers to explore on their own with a map. No volcano view from the property but nice views on the road there.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank ashimarob
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Loved the atmosphere, loved the mission. Be sure you know what you are getting into when booking here. It is an Eco-lodge that prides itself in systainability. I loved it, but it's not luxery (no AC). Food was delicious and included. Decent wifi. Very nice warm pool and free yoga.
Only complaint, and reason for not all full marks, is the dorms. They are very small, full of bugs and the beds are too small for a tall person. I upgraded to the bungalow, and it was well worth it. Queen sized beds with bug screens. Nice porch with chairs, personal showers and a ceiling fan.

Overall I highly recommend it. Loved it and plan to return.

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank DanStout99
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Racho Margot was an amazing paradise. The workers and volunteers love what they do and it shows. I had a blast horseback riding and they suited me with my perfect horse! When I come back to Costa Rica Rancho Margot will definitely be on my list! Oh and we did yoga and milked cows and played soccer with some of the locals oh and their hot pool was amazing! They did have a night where the water was warm instead of hot but the water was still so great that it didn't matter. We found that the Ranch had everything for calm people to enjoy a massage to the night time dance party.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends