“This should be the first place you visit in Costa Rica”
Review of Arenal Eco Zoo

Arenal Eco Zoo
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Ciudad Quesada, Alajuela, Costa Rica
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“This should be the first place you visit in Costa Rica”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is an amazingly well done exhibit of Costa Rican reptiles, insects and butterflies well presented in a compact and remote area. The owner Victor is a great guy and his staff is outstanding. Our guide, Angelo, I believe was his name, spoke good English and you could tell that he truly enjoyed working with the critters. If it is your thing or if you are brave enough you can hold a non-poisonous snake, tarantula, frog or pet a Boa. It is a reasonably priced attraction that doesn't require a lot of walking. Exhibits far better than most US zoos I have visited plus the hands on experience. The tour is usually in very small groups, ours was only 2 couples, and the guide takes time to let you browse on your own while he anwsers your questions. Since we live in CR we will be gong back.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Michael C

• Czech first
Moab, UT
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“more than we imagined - thanks Victor”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The turtles and tree frog were our favorites but there was so much more to see...Victor was a fabulous, friendly and knowledgeable guide!

1 Thank JJMoab
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fun and exciting”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

This was a fun place to learn about various reptiles in Costa Rica. I saw spiders, frogs, toads, lizards, butterflies, and of course, snakes! There is also a Caiman and some turtles or tortoises at the ecozoo. It looks much smaller than it is from outside, and I wasn't expecting much from the appearance from outside at ALL. I was pleasantly surprised!
The "tour" was just my boyfriend and I, and so it was private and we could ask the tour guide whatever we wanted. Although I understand a little bit of Spanish, I don't speak it very well. No problem, our tour guide was fluent in English. We got to hold some spiders, looked at scorpions, held the red-eyed tree frogs, who have really cool suction cup feet, and even got to hold some harmless snakes. Learning about Costa Rica's dangerous and fascinating wildlife was a great experience.

1 Thank uptownzara
Bern, Switzerland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“realy good, for sleeping as well”
Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

it's a great place to see all the dangerous animals of costa rica and much more. we slept there and had much time to play cards and talk to the owner, his sun (the victores) and the employees. it was raining to hard one day so we couldnt do much.
we had a great time.

Orlando, Florida
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Expensive with little to see”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We were taking our two small grandchildren to see the snakes but even they were disappointed at how little there was to see or do. It was not something I would recommend or do again.

1 Thank TBC2012