“Worth checking out”
Review of Portofino Hotel

Portofino Hotel
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Playa el Agua
Reviewed November 9, 2011

We ended up going to Porto Fino because at the time laguna mar was booked up. The experience was pleasant and enjoyable. The food was plentiful, the drinks also. the grounds lovely to explore and the nightly entertainment also was good. The beach on the hotel was a bit rough, but the hotel is worth checking out. Clean rooms, friendly staff etc.

Room Tip: Rooms near the pool are noisier.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jetsetter97
There are newer reviews for Portofino Hotel

Reviewed September 6, 2011

our trip suppose to be a family trip my husband and I got 1 room on the 5th floor my family got 2 rooms on the opposit side of the hotel alot of walking to meet up with them, water and eletricity went everyday the toilet smells, we got ocean view which was nice the rooms were clean the out side of the hotel was very clean the food was the worst ever!!!! the first night we had dinner the chicken was white!!!!!! the food had no taste the snack bar had the same thing everyday and night the drinks were disspointing and it was to far to get to the shopping area but never the less we had fun will be goin back but not at that hotel !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank usha j
Reviewed August 29, 2011

Our flight was late so we missed dinner but we were directed to the snack bar even before we checked in. we went to the iguana where we had something to eat and some pina colada.
The room was not extravagant but had all that we needed. The ac and tv worked great, we had hot water and a phone. The bed had a concrete base and so did some of the other furniture but i guess because there are pools and the sea in this resort its the best thing.
There were two large dining rooms where we had all our meals. the staff there were very helpfull and polite. There was a great variety of things to eat so we always found things we liked.
This hotel is very from the airport and also from the shopping, but the people working with our travel agents had shopping trips.
This hotel was almost filled with venezuelans,there were just a few Trinis.
We had little problem with the language, we were always able to make them understand. I commend the staff they were helpfull.
The one problem we had was the power cuts, in the 5dys we spent it went 4tiimes. the generator would kick in but only the lights would come on. The outage wasnt for long but the first time it was night and we panicked. we got used to it but i would suggest you pack a flashlight.I found out that this problem originated in venezuela and all the hotels in margarita is affected.
My opinion is that for the money we paid, we had a great holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the building with Max Bar there is a great view and its not so tall, you can walk...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank trini147389
Reviewed August 6, 2011

Our stay was from July 31st - August 4th and it was great. This hotel has activities for all ages. Would surely return anytime.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank BlessDenise
Reviewed July 21, 2011

This was a cheap trip, worth the money. However, if you don't speak spanish you'll have problems. Got a room where the door lock was not working, was switched to another room where the a/c was not working. Also, at 8.30am every morning the maid knocks on the door, when you open the door she just gestures ok and go her way - what was the purpose of this, i just don't know. The nightly shows was enjoyable. The food: No variety, everything seem to be sprinkled with bacon, if you're a vegetarian - sorry but you will have some problems. The snack bar: same thing almost every day (hot dog or beef and bread).

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Dreamgirlnali
Reviewed May 4, 2011

My first trip to the island. The hotel grounds are well manicured and general surroundings, clean. The staff were friendly, but spoke spanish with little english or none at all. Other guests translated for me and there seem to be on front desk male worker who knew english well, but you don't see him everyday!!

The room was clean, bed sheets clean etc, but you got a sewer smell fom the faucets, the sink leaked at bit and water pooled at the bathroom floor, next to the toilet. Electricity failed on two occasions, and went for about 2 hours, on the first, so we stayed outside the pool area until it came back.

The bed bottom is concrete for two of the beds, the third is smaller but on a wooden base. The shelves are concrete, the dresser counter concrete, etc, no wooden furniture or pieces basically. The room was cleaned everyday and fresh sheets given, though not a brilliant white, but clean. The ac worked, but the room was quite cold, and the floor was always wet, probably from condensation, why I can't say.

The food at Crocodillo was great, except the meals were often repitious, meaty (though I love food and meat), the salad most times had cheese or meat kind, not really great for the health conscious. If you were vegetarian, WOW you may not survive past day one. They don't seem to cater for you, although to me maybe one may have to make special request everyday???!!!!! Don't know!!!

There were dogs around saw three, but they did not bite. They were clean, but for an all inclusive............... hmmnnn.... Did not bathe in pools, for it's not something I do. Can't tell you much but the water sure looked inviting and clean from a bird's eye view, lol. There was a nice rocky area on the beach side, for the adventurous. Loved the snack bars!!

Not into the night life, so I can't say!! The hotel is too far from the town and flea market!! Loved the shopping, though our tour guide gave us 7 bs to 1 usd, in the town n flea market you got 8 bs, a lil more to shop. Town seems cheaper depending on what you are buying, and vice versa.

I noticed most visitors, were causcian and spanish, our african and mixed group, were easy to spot and the beach instuctors hailed us out every time they saw us.

At the airport, got into a lil trouble. My daughter is 2 years n some months, under 2 years is free (tax), 2 to 3 years pay 182.40 bs. The lady at the counter insisted my daughter pay the extra 152 bs(totalling 335 bs), told her no that is not correct, according to their rules. She insisted, by that time of course we had not that extra 152 but just about 50 bs remaining. She made me had to ask other group members for extra bs, quite to my dismay. Do you know, lo and behold her collegue came hurrying in for she was late, for work and that lady referred me to her. Do you know when she was giving all my info, the late worker told her that 182.40 bs was all my daughter had to pay for she was not three, neither was she 2 and under , for the free tax? Isn't that the same thing I told the lady??????????????

Then she now wanted to apologise to me, both in spanish n english, smh but I took her apology, any way. Folks what would have happened if the other worker never came??? I would have had to pay that extra money. God was on my side and prevented her from that unscrupulous behaviour, she should have known better, my child has a passport with her age, and they have their rules and regulations, whether in spanish or not!! She must follow it. Could you imagine how many persons with children, get robbed for taxes??????????

Be vigilant please and enjoy the shopping!! My family and I did!

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank Dee147392
Reviewed May 1, 2011

I stayed at the Portofino Hotel for 3 days ( 2 nights). The hotel is OK if a person doesn't want to spend a lot of money on accommodation. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful and well kept. Scenic. The hotel has 3 large pools and direct access to a nearby public beach. The staff was friendly and helpful but spoke only a little english. There was a lot of entertainment at the hotel that's great for families and young persons - pool games, beach games, a children's area. Live shows in the night that were very entertaining. We had a great time.

The areas around the hotel are a combination of under developed or poor income areas and there's not much to do in these areas off the hotel grounds except shop. So it's a good thing that there is alot to do at the hotel itself.

The hotel staff were always willing to assist with information re tours, shopping places, advice on where to go and where to avoid. They also allow you to check in your luggage only if you arrive before hotel check-in time. For a fee, you can pay for a late check out.

Room was generally clean. We had problems with the plumbing. We had to call the front desk and then learn the "technique" to flush the toilet from the maintenance guy. Also water tended to pool on the bathroom floor from the shower and wouldn't drain off. Thank God the cleaner came everyday and would mop up the excess water in the bathroom.

The hotel had about 2 restaurants that offered free meals as part of the all inclusive package we had. There was some choice available and the food tasted good. Too much fried food though. The health conscious would have a hard time finding healthy food. The poolside bars also provided snacks and drinks during meals.

There are a lot of dogs at the hotel. Although they seemed generally clean, I was quite shocked to see that they were welcomed by the staff and even fed by staff at the restaurant kitchens and poolside bars.

The shopping in Margarita is great. Affordable. We went several places to shop. It;s cheaper to take a taxi than to go on the tour buses. Even better, we would share a taxi with other guests when we went into the town or to the flea market.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel to someone who is looking for an affordable all inclusive hotel for a SHORT stay, and wants all their beach bathing, entertainment etc in one place. I had a great time in Margarita and aside from the plumbing problems, enjoyed my stay at the Portofino Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
#15 of 89 in Margarita Island
Unik Hotel Margarita
Unik Hotel Margarita
#2 of 8 in Pampatar

Been to Portofino Hotel? Share your experiences!