“Don't go there”

Hotel Puerta Del Sol Playa El Agua
Ranked #12 of 15 Hotels in Playa el Agua
“Don't go there”
Reviewed May 11, 2006

We stayed in Puerta del Sol last week, it's LOW season so there's nothing to do there now. At the front desk they don't speak any word english, but my wife speaks some spanish, we needed that. The hotel at the first sight is not extremely bad but when you look better you'll see that they don't fix anything there, dont paint the walls, but fine it could be worse. So we went up to the room but that was like a nightmare, it looked like 20 years old, used, smelled like an attic (humid, dirty). We found THREE dead cucaracha's in our room and one was still alive hiding in the bathroom. The shower was so dirty, black stains and spots on the walls, floor, horrible, we made photo's and we'll take them to the travel agency. We asked to change rooms but all the rooms looked that poor. So at least after 2 days they gave us a better room, but still 1,5 star quality.
The food wasn't bad, it was prety good actualy, but there wasn't much to pick, because of the lowseason there weren't much guests in the hotel. Less then 100 they told my wife.
The third day, when we finaly had a better room (still without hot water, just forget about it) in the evening my wife and I felt sick, de next day it was getting worse and more worse every hour. Diarea, Vomiting, horrible, seven other people in our group also had the same problems. The doctor came over and told us we had an infection, so we had something very bbad! He braugt us medicins and gave us a diet.
We were to sick the first 2 days but then we went to the hotel next door called Flamboyant, that was much better. It was recently renovated, nice rooms, good food, and also some entertainment, better than puerta del sol, they had a bunch of jong people there who looked very tired. Puerta del Sol's staff was fine, they tried to be nice tu us but the manager he is a very unplesant person, we wanted to speak with him to complain about our sickness, after 45 minutes waiting and asking 5 times finaly he came to see us. But he also doesn't speak a word english. So mi wife had a discussion with him but he didn't even gave us an excuse and just walked away. The secuirity came and asked us to leave beacause we weren't guests anymore. This is unacceptable.
Margarita is, well: was a nice place but I won't reccomend it anymory, the beaches are dirty, the boulevard and everything it looks so old, so cheap. 3 years ago it was better. It seems getting worse every year there. The beach also is much smaller now than before.

• Stayed May 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Carleton Place, ON
Reviewed April 17, 2006

Well, we're back from Margarita! What a blast! Many thanks to all those who helped out with the information. The first night the kids went out to Woody's and of course against Mama's wise advice they drank way too much...they spent most of the next day in bed. Ah well, tried to warn them. The hotel staff were great - Anthony went with them and made sure they were safe and got home okay. I really felt bad for him - he didn't get much rest while we were there! We ended up booking our tours through GTD just 'cause the kids couldn't go far on Tuesday. Did the Jeep tour - it was fantastic! Probably due to the consumtion of a little too much rum, I lost my camera at the sunset beach - that was disappointing but the kids had their digitals so that helped. IF ANYONE READS THIS AND FOUND A CANON IN A GREEN CASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW! The swim with the dolphins was great. We've never done it before so we thought it was really great - got kisses from the seal too. And yes, we bought the CD and are very happy with it. We went to the market in Conejeros twice and my friend went three times by taxi (how cheap can a cab ride get?) - what fantastic deals! My friend also went to the Sambil mall - she's more of a shopper than I am. We did the snorkeling/scuba tour - one of my daughters is licenced for scuba. She got lost for about 1 1/2 hours so we had a scare but the tour guides were super fantastic. The other kids and I were snorkeling and they never let on that it was my daughter that was missing until we had to go searching for her by boat. It was pretty scary but she was found hanging onto some rocks a little battered but safe. Went to the casino - it was a little strange trying to figure out the machines in Spanish - definately need to take a Spanish course. The beach was FANTASTIC. We took the suggestion to buy boogie right away and destroyed them within a week. Had to buy more the second week. That's okay they were cheap. Just a note - and it's to be expected - everything on the beach just about doubles in price during Holy Week. And they won't let you talk them down to the same great prices you got the week before. Tons of people selling great touristy stuff on the beach - I loved it. The people are so polite and friendly. The popsicles really helped out in the afternoons on the beach. The exchange we were getting was 2350 b's per US $. The departure tax was still 115,000 b's. One of my kids and I took a taxi to Castillo Santa Rose, Catedral de La Asuncion and Iglesia de la Virgen Del Valle. The fort was interesting, the view fantastic. We got to the church in La Asuncion just as they were closing the church for the day but they let us in. On outside the church is not overly impressive - but the inside is beautiful and so peaceful. We were allowed to take pictures. The church of the Viren Del Valle was really someting to see. We took the museum tour and it was really quite impressive. I've never really encountered markets outside of churches before. This is a must see if you go to Margarita. The hotel was fine. It was much more than I expected from previous reviews. It was clean, the pool was great, the service was wonderful (my girls have never had so much attention, I don't think), the staff were extremely helpful and the food wasn't too bad. We had enough variety to keep us going and nobody was sick from the food. Mexican night was interesting - only my some did the tiquila shots - good thing he ate! All in all we had a fantastic time. I would recommend this trip to anyone - in fact, we're probably going back next year!

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank leavethesnowbehind
Reviewed March 29, 2006

Me and my two friends all male ages between 23-26 stayed for 1 week march 22-29 2006. All three of us had better than expected time at the resort. The resort is small with its benifits. The buffet, bar and pool are in short walking distance to the rooms. The bar closes at 11pm but usually we were out of there at the local clubs bye then so not an inconvience. The locals are friendly and there are alot of peddelers on the beach. Keep on eye on your stuff, you should allways when in a forien country anyway. Nothing bad to say, will definetly go back very soon.

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
GATINEAU, QUEBEC
Reviewed March 25, 2006

My friend and I had a great and inexpensive vacation.The buffet was very good, the italian and thai restaurants were not that great.The shows were excellent!The dancers were very entertaining and professional,there was a new and different show every night. I would to that resort just for the show. One inconvenience was that the phone in the room was not functioning the whole week, and they did't care to fix it. I would definately return to that resort. For those who like to drink there's only one bar and closes at 11 p m.

1 Thank HappyGatineau-12
Reviewed March 17, 2006

After reading some of the reviews on here, I was pretty scared! But when we got to the hotel, I was pleasantly surprised! I don't know why people have so many complaints! The hotel is located directly across from the most popular beach literally a two min walk. They have three pools, good entertainment, free scuba diving lessons, good food especially the Mexican! They were all very friendly and aiming to please. My biggest concern was the water and you need not worry even the locals don't drink it so pretty much everywhere you go it is purified. I loved the parrot at the hotel he was my highlight every morning. I will admit that the hotel does need some work mostly the rooms bathrooms but it's got aspects that are more like a 4 star. I never saw a bug in my room so ladies don't worry about that! I suggest trying to get a room that is on the 1st or second floor, ours was nice and from what I heard, those ones are the nicest all around. You have to book the specialty restaurants in the morning of the day that you want to go; we didn't have a problem though. But be warned they feed you ALOT. If you do one thing that I suggest make it the jeep trip that goes all around the island, it was amazing. You go on a boat ride through the mangroves where you get beautiful photos and you go off roading in the desert area which was so fun and wow do you party with open bar at every stop! I also did the swimming with the dolphins and scuba diving all through the hotel. They are expensive I suggest going scuba diving with the guys that come to the hotel and give lessons at the pool everyday they were fantastic. The current was really strong so the visibility was horrible but from what I have heard, the diving is usually really good there. I know it has a lot to do with your state of mind when you are there but I couldn't imagine anyone not having the time of his or her lives. The hotel was great, the people were so friendly and the island was beyond beautiful!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Florida
Reviewed March 13, 2006

GOT THERE ON 25 FEB 2006...was an OLD unattractive building too far from the BOULEVARD area.....inside appeared friendly but no english speaking guide to assist, since construction disturbed my 4 day weekend, had to spend 4 days at the exciting sambil mall. Breakfast was thrilling, lunch was a bore while dinner made me sick. Had diarrhea for 4 days. The rooms were grt8 but the pool was cold all day. Maybe another year of construction will bring it to being romantic and comfortable. The chefs need more experience with caribbean food, go store bay, tobago. They should have an office at the hotel to change US dollars as well as a gym and night club.

• Stayed February 2006
1 Thank Resh
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed February 27, 2006

I have read with interest the various reviews on this Hotel. My wife and I spent two weeks here and must say that it is an average hotel. This does not mean that we did not enjoy ourselves. The resort is exactly what you paid for. For those of you that expected 5 Star service for an all inclusive week that you paid $700 for, then you should get a grip on things. Yes the rooms are not the finest, but they were clean and everything worked. We only used the room for two things. The first was sleeping and the second, well use your imagination. If you can't do either of these because the ceiling is peeling a little or the tap is dripping, then there is no hope for you to ever relax. The beach was wonderful. A little advice. Walk down the beach a little and rent for a day one of the large double wood recliners with the large umbrella. Its cheap, and you get a lot more room than using the ones that the hotel has. You are still close enough to walk to the hotel beach bar for your drinks. Note: A beer is 50 cents on the beach anywhere else. You can stay where you are and drink to your hearts content. Take the jeep tour which is awesome. You will see the entire Island in a day and the tour ends with a sunset ceremony. Bring your camera. The pics will be great. Take the shopping tour to Polomar City. Your wife will love it. The entire Island is duty free so the prices are very fair. Since your wife is in a good mood after shopping, take her to Pacifico reataurant on the beach back at your resort. For $60 US you will eat very well with good wine. A vacation is what you make of it. To the whiners out there, please stay home and don't go anywhere. Don't experiance a third world country or beggers on the beach. Don't say hi to the natives in the own tongue, and be rude and pushy. Never tip.

Puerto del Sol is fine. The staff will try to do the best that they can, if you meet them half way. The sun always shines and the food and drinks will keep you fat and happy. Enjoy paradise !!!

Stayed February 2006
IKIN Margarita Hotel & Spa
#13 of 89 in Margarita Island
Maloka Hotel Boutique & Spa
LIDOTEL Hotel Boutique Margarita

Been to Hotel Puerta Del Sol Playa El Agua? Share your experiences!