“Good for the budget minded, but do your homework on this place!”

and 1 more site!
Hesperia Playa El Agua
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Playa el Agua
Chaguanas
“Good for the budget minded, but do your homework on this place!”
Reviewed March 2, 2012

My family of three spent a mini-vacation here, for a total of 6 days and 5 nights.

On arrival, the weather was very bad and did not seem as if it would let up at all. We arrived at the hotel at around 10am. I had asked my travel agent beforehand if an early check-in was arranged and he said that it was arranged by the tour operators in margarita.....yeah right!

As I told my wife, I am almost certain that all those people involved in tourism on the island are in collusion on some grand money-making scheme. The tour operators dropped us off at the hotel without a word, and when we finally got to the front of the line at reception, we were told that check-in was at 3pm and if we wanted to use the facilities we would have to pay Blvs.100 PER PERSON, otherwise we would be confined to the reception area, which was already crowded and had no available seating area, that already having been taken by those before us.

At the reception desk, there was a major leak and water was literally falling out of the ceiling....given the decor of the place, it reminded me of that scene from the movie Jumanji where the house turned into the jungle and flooded out!

We decided we would try to wait out these capitalists, but with the weather so bad and our supply of snacks diminished, our spirits were starting to get as damp as the reception area, so at around 12noon I gave up the Blvs. 200 (thankfully they did not charge for my 7yr. old) so that we could at least have lunch. Fortunately we were told that our room would be ready in five minutes and we were able to get to our room shortly thereafter and refresh ourselves before going to have lunch.

Now this hotel was an all-inclusive one, and all meals/snacks were included in the package, but one had to pay attention to meal times, as the restaurants were all closed until the appropriate hours.

But first, the room...nothing special, spacious enough to hold two king beds, a small table with a 20" television (limited to about 13 channels of which only two were in english) and a low armchair. The room had a damp musty smell about it (floor was tiled), which we figured out eventually came from the water that the staff used to mop the room.....it seemed that by the time they got to our room, changing the mop water was not of significant consideration.

With the air condition on and the floor wet/damp, the scent would linger, so we turned off the a/c and opened out the sliding door to the balcony. On the subject of a/c, the a/c is central, and there is only a dial with three settings, two fan speeds and one to change the temperature, however the a/c vent faced the beds directly and since everyone in my family has sinus issues, it was a horrible experience to sleep with the a/c on.

The saving grace for the room was that the view from the small porch was okay and was our spot for 'family alone time' until we were ready to sleep.

Next, the food. In short, nothing special...almost entirely continental with one or two locally prepared dishes such as yucca/cassava, corn cuccoo. The dining area was clean, of sufficient size so finding a table was never a problem and staff were relatively efficient. I should also mention that there were freshly sqeezed juices (watermelon, cantalope, lettuce, papaya, celery) that my wife took delight in taking advantage of....the offspring cared only for soda, which was also available via a self-dispensing machine.

The facilities on the compound were a high point...beautifully landscaped with no bothersome insects such as flies or mosquitoes but there were some beautiful iguanas on patrol, but which never got in anyone's way. The hotel boasts seven pools, which was where the little one spent most of the day time. There are daily activities at the main pool from around lunchtime which included Bingo, Aqua Aerobics and Volleyball.

In the evening time, there was a show held on a main stage adjacent to the main pool, which for me made the choice of hotel worthwhile. The hotel seemed to have full time staff who are professional performers/dancers and each evening they put on a fantastic and spectacular show for guests, which was themed differently every day.

The hotel had its own access to the beach, which is on the Northern/Windward side of the island which I found too rough to bathe peacefully, but there were dedicated marked beach recliners with sunshades for hotel guests which were very inviting for taking naps or lounging on. You just have to get used to all the beach vendors who are constantly walking up and down selling their stuff. The only way to get rid of them is to either buy something from them, or make it abundantly clear you weren't going to.

All in all, despite the one or two hiccups, we made the most of our stay there and found it at the end of the day, excellent value for money. I would probably want to stay somewhere else if I return to the island though, as I think to repeat the experience at the same hotel is boring....after all its not Disney World.

Finally, a bit about currency conversion....stay away from the Cambios unless you have to officially account for your spending. You can get almost twice the exchange rate if you 'speak' to the local business people down at the beach or at the flea market. Oh, and make sure your conversational spanish is good, because almost none of the hotel employees speak more than 5 words of english....literally!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank trinlimer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed March 2, 2012

I stayed at this resort from February 14th to 28th with my girlfriend. First, there are a few positive things:
The food was good - not a whole lot of variety from day to day but quality was good and we could always find something we could enjoy.
The beach was fantastic - very wide with lots of white sand and just enough surf to make it fun. Carnaval was underway during our stay and even with all the crowds of people the beach never seemed too crowded. There are a lot of very nice beaches that are nearby also.

Negatives:
Mosquitos were everywhere - bring lots of repellent if you do go there. There's lots of stagnant pools of water around - even the fountain on one side of the reception area. Every evening I would be bitten many times while eating and would have to kill about a dozen or so in the room every day. I believe they would get in the room while the maid was cleaning - she would leave the door open. Benadryl spray helped with the bites - they would swell up huge and itch like crazy without it.
The facility doesn't seem to be managed very efficiently or very effectively - clean towels were often not available. You go to the front desk/reception area to complain only to find 20 or 30 people lined up and only one person on duty (who doesn't speak English). Clean beach towels were not available for days on end. The maid would "forget" to leave a bottle of water in your room just about every day.
The grounds were fairly neglected - plants overgrowing the paths and lots of litter around. The last day I was there I actually saw someone with a rake but it was the only time. There was a bad odour in the area around the coffee bar - I noticed some open sewer covers one day very close to there that explained it. There was lots of neglect - peeling paint and worn out fixtures and furniture. The ceiling in the main buffet area would leak like a sieve every time it rained.
If you don't speak Spanish you have a very hard time here - most of the staff don't speak English. Even though they were very friendly and would genuinely try to help you out, it was very hard to communicate. I have been to many resorts in the caribbean and I don't expect everyone to speak English but have never had as much of a problem before. I speak a little Spanish and can usually get by ok. Even though the resort was very full, there were very few English speaking people staying there - I only heard 2 couples speaking English during my whole stay, so I expect there isn't much need for a multilingual staff. Luckily, my girlfriend speaks Spanish, but when she wasn't around it was a major irritant.
The room smelled moldy at first but we only noticed it once or twice after we initially got there. The a/c worked well and there was warm water available most of the time but you had to leave the water running for 5 or 10 minutes before it would warm up. We had booked a bungalow but ended up in a room in a three story building (room 6903) when we arrived. It was fairly nice, so we didn't complain. There was no fridge in the room but they provided one after we complained.
I enjoyed my vacation in Margarita Island. Hesperia wasn't absolutely terrible but for the money we paid we were disappointed. I wouldn't go back and I wouldn't recommend the place. There are nicer hotels in the area for the same price, if not cheaper.

If you do go to Margarita Island, make sure to visit Playa La Restinga and the Island of Coche - both involve a boat ride to get there but very well worth it. Coche has the nicest beach I've ever seen. Playa La Restinga is in a National Park and the boat ride to get there brings you through a protected mangrove forest ecosystem that is spectacular!

Room Tip: Stay at a different resort if you want a good room...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tarranm
Port of Spain, Trinidad
Reviewed February 24, 2012

Before i went here i went online to peek at the reviews for this hotel and they were TERRIBLE i almost didnt o again,but im glad that i did ,my only recommendation to the property owners is to invest in some flat screen tvs for the rooms since those pre historic ones need to be thrown away.There was a wide range of food to be eaten nothing was sparing everything was in abundance there were chef onhand at breakfast lunch and dinner preparing certain food onhand everything was buffet style,staff although they didnt understand much english were very helpful and pleasant and made you feel right at home and i stayed in room 6023 on the third story overlooking one of the many pools there and the view whooooo!!!! breathtaking i.i cant wait to go back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
port of spain
Reviewed February 22, 2012

we only came back yesterday and we must say this hotel isone of the best!!!!! we had a great time at this this hotel!!!!!! the premium rooms are clean, excellent maid service.. rooms are spacious. the wide variety of food and drinks made it easier to compile the perfect meal... desserts were delicious!!!!!!! at hesperia one can get his/her money's worth!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Premium Rooms
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank 6623
madrid
Reviewed January 1, 2012

We were there from the 15th december to the 22nd december 2011. First stayed in a bungalow then upgraded to premium room.
The bungalow was fully rotten both inside and outside. Inside the bungalow it was SPECTACULARLY dirty in areas behind the bed, nightstand and desk. The lamps were broken and taped together. Outside the bungalow there was garbage and water leaks. Housekeeping walked right past the garbage without taking notice. I had the opportunity to tell the housekeeper off for her poor work standards in keeping the room clean.
Furthermore, there was no hot water in our room. We complained the next morning and were upgraded to a premium room.
Enter the premium room. At first impression it was ok and seemed nicely appointed. We quickly discovered issues with the room:
1. EXTREME mold deterioration behind the beds
2. No housekeeping until around 5 or 6 in the afternoon
3. No hot water in the showers
4. Moldy lamp shades
5. Wet and moldy walls throughout the room and bathroom
6. Broken lamps taped together or simply propped up against the wall

I GOT A LUNG INFECTION FROM STAYING IN THE PREMIUM ROOM, which I still have, two weeks later. This is thanks to the extreme mold in the room.

We found the general manager, who upgraded us to the Hotel Hesperia Isla Margarita, which is a far superior, 5 star hotel. We were very thankful to the manager for the upgrade. However, we are still extremely angry that they would allow guests to stay in moldy rooms subjected to REAL health hazards.

The food was pretty good.

The beach sucks. It used to be the best beach on Margarita but is now over-run with beach vendors, making a relaxing day at the beach COMPLETELY IMPOSSIBLE.

I would never recommend this hotel even to my worst enemy.

Frankly, if you are a native venezuelan that has newly acquired wealth (ie. Chavistas), then this hotel is luxurious. However, if you are European, American or from any other developed, non-third world nation, this hotel is a terrible and hazardous place.

In total we had three rooms in our tour group. Everybody went through the same horrible experience.

Complaining to the staff will not solve any problems. Only when you complain to the spanish general manager will your holiday be saved.

Again, Im very grateful to David, the general manager for upgrading us to the other Hesperia on Margarita.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with NH Hoteles

1 Thank alex s
Reviewed November 30, 2011

We were looking for place to rest and enjoy the sun while we were waiting to go to Angel Falls.
We were swimming in the pool, drinking great flavored non alcoholic drinks at the swim up bar, lounging on the lounge chairs. In between we went for a Jeep tour booked at the resort. We wandered on the beach. Enjoyed a good buffet for breakfast and dinner. We love fresh fruit and veggies and they were always in good supply. We spoke very little spanish and many people spoke very little english but they always found a way to understand us and take care of our needs.

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank CookieTatoo
Reviewed September 5, 2011

I wasn't going to write any review because didn't know where to start, but I just came back from there 3 days ago and I feel with the responsability of warning people. DON'T GO TO THIS HOTEL!. I was 3 days in Hesperia Playa El Agua with my husband and the hotel lost power every single day, the first day was at night for 2 hours and the next day, was the same for 5 hours. We couldn't go back to sleep until 1 AM because there was not AC, our room got mosquitos everywhere because we had to open the door to get air. The hotel just have generators for the recreational areas and in Margarita Island there is not enough energy to supply the hotels. The bar gives you the worst rum and the restaurant offers you the worst fish, which is unbelievable considering that we were in MARGARITA ISLAND. Even the milk they offer for the famous "cafe con leche" was disgusting. The shows are lame and beach services are gone after 5 PM. It was not always like that, actually 5 years ago was a REALLY 4-stars hotel and that's why we decided to go again, looks like Hesperia hasn't renovated ANYTHING since 5 years ago, everything is outdated, faded and about to break, not even the grass is green...

• Stayed August 2011
#2 of 8 in Pampatar
StevieWonderLand
StevieWonderLand
#2 of 12 in El Yaque

Been to Hesperia Playa El Agua? Share your experiences!