Cabinas Las Olas(Playa Avellanas)
$97
$83
$264
  • Pool
Vida Verde(Playa Avellanas)(Great Value!)
$60
$53
Las Avellanas Villas(Playa Avellanas)(Great Value!)
$68
$58
Hotel Surf Camp Mediterraneo(Playa Avellanas)(Great Value!)
$55
$52
ChanteMar(Playa Avellanas)(Great Value!)
$68
Cafe Playa Negra(Playa Negra)(Great Value!)
$80
Playa Negra Surf Lodge(Playa Negra)(Great Value!)
$65
$56
Agoda.com
No availability for your dates from these sites
All reviewsyoga retreatvisited elcosta ricaamazing chefhowler monkeysmorning and eveningnice amenitieshome away from homeother guestsbring earplugszip liningcome homedry seasonbeach towelshorseback ridinggrounds are beautifulnice pool
Reviewed February 13, 2016

My wife (49) and I (50) stayed here for 6 days at the beginning of February 2016. We had an excellent time, and would stay there again in a heart beat. Great place with great staff!! Looking forward to our next visit already!

RESORT: Grounds are clean, nice and rustic, with plenty of foliage. Walkways to the huts are well-lit and charming. Views are very nice
POOL: Clean, infinity-style with mini-spa pool as well. One downside is that there were a lot of bees at one end, but hopefully they killed that nest by now. Deck needs a little work.
ROOMS: Cozy & private with fridge and A/C (works well). Bed was comfortable enough, but pillows could use an upgrade. Shower takes a while to warm up, but sufficient. Shutters could use some screens to prevent a few bugs from sneaking in.
FOOD: Donald (and Hazel) can make a 5 star course out of any ingredients. We had tuna, chicken, spinach soup, chocolate cake. Was not expecting so delicious for Costa Rica. Breakfast is also delicious, plentiful and free. We had eggs, bacon, fruit, toast, coffee, smoothies and gallo pinto just about every morning.
BOOZE: Beer and wine were reasonable and cold. Bring your own liquor.
STAFF: Kurt (owner) was knowledgeable, courteous and helpful. Same for Donald/Hazel and the rest of the crew.
LOCATION: 15-20 minutes from beaches and grocery story.
ACTIVITIES: Yoga (mats available) instruction, Massage ($40/hr & Great!), other activities upon request.
WI-FI: Resort wide and free. A few hiccups because of a new router installation, but otherwise, fine! 2Mbps on average in the pool area.

Room Tip: Rent a car. Bring your own liquor (beer/wine are available).
  • Stayed: February 2016, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BillySev
Reviewed February 10, 2016

I brought a group of 20 or so people to El Sabanero Eco Lodge in November/December of 2015 for a yoga teacher training program. We were all absolutely delighted with the venue, it is stunningly beautiful with lovely chalets, a beautiful pool, a choice of yoga shalas, gorgeous views, great chefs and staff and is run by the very lovely Harold & Kurt who could not do enough for us. We were so well looked after and had such a fantastic time here I have rebooked for 3 more trainings. Highly recommended.

Stayed: November 2015
1  Thank Emma W
Reviewed February 3, 2016

I had a fantastic time staying at El Sabanero Eco Lodge. I did a yoga teacher training with about 20 people, and I stayed for one month. You can also stay here without a group, and enjoy the luxurious facilities, explore the beautiful area, and get to know the lovely staff on your own. The owners are so sweet and accommodating. One of them, Harold even drove me to the doctor and pharmacy one day. So kind!

The chef's, Donald and Hazel put so much love and care into the food they made for us every day and night. They were so sweet and made such an effort to be friendly, accommodating to our needs, personal, and warm. The food they make is incredibly delicious, fresh, AND healthy! Such a treat to eat such tasty-healthy food by such kind and warm people for an entire month. I felt so nourished.

The facilities are fantastically well-kept by 2 wonderful women who also made us breakfast every morning of fresh local fruit, eggs, rice and beans and delicious coffee.

There is a gorgeous infinity pool overlooking a stunning view, which you can swim in or lounge around all day long in that magnificent sun.

El Sabanero is a quick bus ride or car ride away from Tamarindo, where there is plenty of restaurants, shopping, and surfing, which I totally recommend! Our group took a surfing lesson and it was a blast!

I would absolutely recommend El Sabanero Eco Lodge to anyone who is traveling to this area. It is a beautiful, hidden gem, and it feels great to support such a wonderful community of people who work there.

<3 Natalie

Room Tip: All rooms are wonderful!
  • Stayed: November 2015, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 18, 2016 via mobile

My wife and I went there in order to go to the beach!, the food is awesome, the room was really nice. The location is great, near of the best beaches of Guanacaste and really quiet. The staff is really nice and very helpful.

Stayed: January 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Francisco G
Reviewed January 13, 2016

So, I've been to El Sabanero multiple times and every time has been a little different. All of my stays have been great and affordable. This most recent visit, I had a big surprise as a member of the staff, Donald, had returned after being gone for a while. Donald is part of the heart and soul of El Sabanero. He has also stepped up his chef skills in a big way. I had some of the best meals I have had in Costa Rica, right there at the resort. The meals were not only of a very high quality, but very affordable compared to the prices in near by Tamarindo. This place keeps getting better with service, food, and amenities. They are also starting to upgrade the rooms and bathrooms as well. It is nice to see them continuing to reinvest in the facility to make it better and better.

The other recent addition was the Yoga Pavilion. They now have
BOTH indoor and outdoor facilities for Yoga, which I thought was very nice. If you are in the market for trying to organize a Yoga training or retreat of some sort, look no further than El Sabanero.

• Stayed: December 2015, traveled as a couple