All reviewsyoga retreatvisited elcosta ricaamazing chefhowler monkeysmorning and eveningnice amenitieshome away from homeother guestsbring earplugszip liningcome homedry seasonbeach towelshorseback ridinggrounds are beautifulkurt
Reviewed January 9, 2016

I had such a great time at the El Sabanero Eco Lodge. All of the staff were great, the location was amazing, and the food was to die for!! We came for a 200 hour yoga teacher training, and it was an absolute perfect spot for it. My family was able to join me the last two weeks, and my wife and four year old daughter also had an amazing time! It's close enough to towns like Tamarindo, but far enough away that you don't get any of the chaos of town.

• Stayed: November 2015, traveled with family
Reviewed January 8, 2016

I stayed for a month for a 200 hour yoga teacher training, and it was an amazing time. The entire staff was amazing, the owner Kurt welcomed us like family, and it was a perfect venue for yoga and restoration.

There were howler monkeys, iguanas, and other wildlife that visited, a beautiful pool and deck area for reading and relaxing, and Tamarindo was a quick bus ride away when we felt like going to town.

Highly recommended, I will be going back again to recharge for sure!

• Stayed: November 2015, traveled with friends
2  Thank Boomerwang
Reviewed December 5, 2015

We came here for a 200 hour yoga teacher training and spent the last month here. The rainy season was just finishing, and we got to experience the first winds of summer. The coconut and palm trees blowing in the wind around the gorgeous curved pool, with the view of mountains across the horizon was our daily sight. The iguanas and dragonflies visited the eco lodge daily, and Peachy,the eco lodge cat, was a friend of everyone.

That's the experience of being here. Community oriented. Surrounded by abundant nature. Curt and Harold, the owners, welcomed me warmly, and throughout the stay, have been available for questions, and overall help. I could feel that they were keeping on eye on the space and people here, making things run smoothly.

The physical structures on the property are beautiful wood. The dining room space is a big dome structure, circular and spacious. The bungalows are all made of gorgeous wood and feel natural and cozy.

The cooks were extraordinary. Home made bread every day, sauces, like pesto and eggplant dip, and every meal was balanced and unique. They made homemade veggie burgers, pizza, empanadas, and incredible salads. They even went out of their way to prepare chocolate cakes for birthday celebrations. We ate like queens and kings, and all the food was made with love and care.

I highly recommend staying at this Eco Lodge if you are looking for a community feeling, warm people, beauty all around, and deep connection with nature. Plus, a gorgeous view of mountains in the horizon which is extra special for sunsets. If you want to go to the beach, there are some untouched gems nearby (15 min drive), and the nearby town of Tamarindo has a lively seen of restaurants and shopping, if you want to spend an afternoon in a more lively area.

Overall, Magic, warmth, and peacefulness here. I will be back next year!!!

• Stayed: November 2015, traveled solo
1  Thank Samantha D
Reviewed November 1, 2015

Came here for a 6day yoga retreat. The cabins are on the basic side but do have AC and warm showers. No TVs which is what I needed to disconnect, they do have wifi though. Beautiful pool overlooking the mountains. Post-card worthy views from everywhere on the property!

The chef Donald was amazing! We were all waiting for the next meal to see what he came up with. Seriously this guy needs to write a book!
Harold the owner helped with planning some excursions to a volcano and even took some of us to Tamarindo beach on a few days. He's very accommodating, walked us around the property when we heard the howler monkeys. They have 2 dogs and a cat called "Vichy" we think, we all called her peaches though.

Only possible downside I see is it's not walking distance to any restaurants or attractions. There is a small bodega down the street though for snacks.

All in all this is a great place if you're wanting to get away from it all. I can't say enough nice things about it!

• Stayed: October 2015, traveled with friends
2  Thank Hannah P
Reviewed June 7, 2015

The Sabanero is just perfect ,i was there with my family on last mother's day and was the best gift that i ever had .Beautiful rooms ,good food ,the rates are really fair .The pool has the best view that you can find there,in some point you can believe that you are on the african tundra !.The owners and the workers are so kind ,always worry about you and you needs .Near from beautiful beaches,and with a lot of good restaurants .The best part ?NO TV ,thats great ! If you are looking for peace this the place for you .

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family