All reviewsyoga retreatvisited elcosta ricaamazing chefhowler monkeysmorning and eveningnice amenitieshome away from homeother guestsbring earplugszip liningcome homedry seasonbeach towelshorseback ridinggrounds are beautifulkurt
Reviewed April 17, 2015

Loved this place! The view, the wooden cabins, the outside common area with the swimming pool, just perfect to relax outside Tamarindo.
The staff is just wonderful and always ready to help.
Highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2015, traveled solo
1  Thank Cristina R
Reviewed March 20, 2015

This is a beautiful property with great views of iconic Guanacaste landscape. The cabins are comfortable and charming. We enjoyed the breakfasts very much and the one dinner we had there was also good. The pool area is great for relaxing and the atmosphere is tranquil and private. Harold is very helpful and communicative. This included numerous e mails both before and after our stay.

• Stayed: March 2015, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 5, 2015

RESORT: Excellent! Based on previous Trip Advisor reviews we were not disappointed. The manager, Harold, went above and beyond to meet our expectations. His staff was equally as courteous and friendly. The grounds are immaculate and the rooms are well maintained. The rooms are set up in miniature log cabins which gives the experience an outdoor rustic type of feeling. If you prefer a hotel room setting than this won't be for you. We felt safe and secure. This location is laid back, perfect for romantic couples and mature adults. If you are looking for a relaxing tranquil environment this location offers that type of ambiance. Families with young children may also find this location suitable because it’s subdued. The pool is just enough to wear them out and give parents plenty of quiet time at the end of the night. The rooms do not have micro waves. If you find yourself craving to heat up a left over snack or meal, the resort will allow you to utilize the micro wave in the main kitchen. However, you will have to do so before the resort kitchen closes which is usually around 8pm.

FOOD: The food was excellent and prepared fresh each day. Typically, we ate breakfast at the resort with no complaints. Definitely plan on simplifying a few meal decisions and enjoy a few meals at the resort. It’s economical and tastes better than some of the places we ate at outside of the resort.

TRANSPORTATION: If you rent a car from the airport, which I recommend for freedom of mobility. We got the best rate from ALAMO but basically shop around for your best price option. Be prepared to add about $90 to $100 dollars more to your quoted price. This is for additional insurance. I had a written letter of additional coverage waiver from my Visa card. Great! However I would have to leave a $2,000.00 deposit and in some cases I am told it can go as high as $5,000.00 and I would still be accountable for 20% of damages. I opted to leave the $1,000.00 deposit and utilize their coverage with %100 coverage. Keep in mind; they require a credit card not a debit card for deposit. If you use a Debit card there is an additionally fee if approved. Contact the rental agency prior to arrival to make sure they have you in the system. Notify your credit card company that you will be using your card outside of the issuing country to insure they will recognize and honor the $1,000 deposit accordingly at the time of rental. I also booked at other locations as a backup but I there weren’t any issues with my first choice Alamo rental. Review your policy/paperwork before signing. I noted every scratch and ding and took pictures and video as recommended by other Trip Advisor posts. There are plenty of gas stations along the way which in my opinion omitted the need to take their fuel package which was substantially higher. The trip from LIR airport was a little over 1 hour, not difficult to find.

DIRECTIONS: Utilize directions from the Resort website. At approximately 40km you will see a red Coca Cola sign that says Barrio Limon on your right hand side, shortly after you will see an intersection on your right. Make a right turn and basically stay right for approximately 20mins and you will see entrance to resort on your left hand side.

POI: All the major beaches are no more than 20mins to 1hr away depending on which one you may choose. Tamarindo is about 20mins away. It is very busy and congested but worth the visit. Lola’s restaurant is a must see/experience. Great place for the family/kids as it is not as congested as the beach at Tamarindo. Keep in mind the restaurant is closed on Mondays. If you plan to drive, consulate with Harold and be prepared for a back road excursion which you will never forget. Shuttle service is also available from Tarmarindo.

Room Tip: Rooms 8,9, and 10 face the main roadway. Hence, early morning traffic may be a minor distraction, however the mountain and sunset views are simply spectacular.
  • Stayed: February 2015, traveled with family
6  Thank TomRoz
Reviewed February 18, 2015

The hotel was very nice and about a 15 minute drive from Tamarindo. The cabins were very unique and the staff was friendly. I thought the breakfast was subpar and the grounds were rough. Overall it was so-so

• Stayed: January 2015, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ThePundit
Reviewed February 3, 2015

The most important of this hotel is the warmth of its people, Kurt and Harold are very good hosts.
I spent there two days in March last year with my girlfriend. A couple of month ago since we were heading to Tamarindo we decided to pass by just to say hi to the guys (Kurt and Harold), some other friends were traveling with us and as soon as they got to the swimming pool area they fell in love with El Sabanero and not just for that but the awesome view of pastures and mountains in front of the pool.

Even though we were not guests that day, they treated us in a terrific way.

El Sabanero is located at a strategic point
"in the middle of everywhere" you can go to any beach you want, all of them at less than 20 minutes driving.

A place where you can rest and relax, Highly recommend it.

Room Tip: All the lodges are nice!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple