All reviewsyoga retreatvisited elcosta ricaamazing chefhowler monkeysmorning and eveningnice amenitieshome away from homeother guestsbring earplugszip liningcome homedry seasonbeach towelshorseback ridinggrounds are beautifulkurt
Reviewed April 16, 2011

We had such a wonderful time at El Sabanero. The hotel is beautiful and peaceful. The service is amazing. Harold, Suzie and Kurt were so kind and hospitable we still talk about how genuine they were and willing to make the trip the best possible. The food was delicious, the pool is beautiful and the rooms are private which makes you feel at home. The hotel is a great location to get to many different beaches and very close to town. With the money you save on accommodations you can spend on adventure tours ! Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2011

What other wonderful things can I say that hasn't already been said? The grounds really are lush and beautiful, the cabins really are charming, secluded and impeccably maintained, and the cooking really is delicious and reasonably priced. The owners strike a perfect balance between being friendly and accessible without being pushy and suffocating. In fact, the place was so nice my husband and I had a hard time dragging ourselves away from the pool and hammocks and actually sightseeing. Do bring earplugs and a sleep mask because the sun rises early and the monkeys can be noisy. And if Ana is available for a massage, book one (or two). Don't wonder - just go!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 10, 2011

I stayed here with a group of friends for a total of 5 days- our 2 days spent in La Fortuna. The location is great considering the close proximity to beautiful, not so crowded beaches, Playa Avellanas & Playa Negra. A 10 minute drive to Tamarindo beach, where the nightlife sparks. We found El Sabenero through the many great reviews of TripAdvisor. (Thank you!) Harold and Suzie were nice and accomodating to our needs. They were always around during the day to mingle amongst guests. I wished we spent more time at the lodge, but our lined up Costa Rica Adventures took us away from actual El Sabanero relaxation time. The pool was at a great temperature, very intimate and had wonderful views of mountain tops. Every morning we had complimentary breakfast- tropical fruit cups, bread, cereal, excellent coffee and fresh fruit smoothies. I never got the opportunity to try the freshly cooked meals at El Sabanero, but according to guests, they made great Tican food. Most definitely the next time. The lodges were very neat and clean. They don't have a hair dryer nor an iron/iron board inside the room. But I'm sure if you asked at the front desk, they would provide one. And no TV- which is such a briliiant idea! Why spend your time watching TV in your room when you can enjoy the outdoors. My only issue was the AC in our room. I woke up damped. My friends and I had th eopportunity to see all sorts of animals hanging out at the lodge. Beautiful colored birds, Iguanas, geckos, Wood Insects, and Howler Monkeys ( a bunch of them). Woke up early in the morning and they were hanging on the trees above out lodge. It was such a beautiful experience!! I would love to go back to Costa Rica and stay in El Sabanero Lodge. This time I will bring my son; he'd totally love it!

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 6, 2011

Harold and Susie were extremely hospitable and helpful proprietors. The lodges were quaint and the facilities were clean and well kept. We had a lovely hanging out by the pool, and the hotel cats were adorable. We highly recommend a visit.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed April 4, 2011

We visited El Sabanero the last week in march for our spring break. We were so happy with the cleanliness and comfort. The lodge is welcoming, relaxing and equipped with a few hammocks! The pool was the perfect warm temperature and clean! (open 24hrs for a late night swim). The food was delicious. The breakfast in the morning was perfect to start our day. Fresh juice, fruit and toast. The coffee was OUTSTANDING! Tours can be arranged with the owner and we were glad to experience a days worth of fun!
El Sabanero was perfect for our vacation and such a wonderful value. The cabinas were spotless and private. We would definitely go back! Thanks, El Sabanero for the best trip yet!

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple