We loved spending time in Playa Avellenas and we were so happy to find the amazing Mauna Loa hotel one afternoon as we searched for an "upgrade" to the place that we were originally staying. We looked around online and found a few places to check, but when we were actually looking at places in person, nothing really impressed us like Mauna Loa so we decided to move in to one of their cabinas and stay there for several days.
The Service was excellent. Anna cleaned our cabin each day while we were hanging out at the beach. She also cooked us an amazing meal (from scratch) each night, and we enjoyed several breakfasts and lunches there as well. My fiancé and I really loved her authentic Italian cooking. Both Anna and Mikaela (not sure if I'm spelling his name correctly) were very personable and fun to be around. Also, he speaks English.
The Value was excellent. For $60 US per night (LOL that's $30 per person!) we were enjoying all the luxury that we wanted to experience. It seemed like this place should cost about twice as much. In the states, you'd never find a value like this.
Sleep Quality was superb. Each cabin has air conditioning, and the bed has some type of orthopedic mattress that is very good to sleep on. Quality of sleep is important, especially if you're here to surf - you don't want to be sleeping in all morning because the best surf and offshore winds occur in the morning. I found myself waking up early (like 5:45am) everyday very refreshed and ready for the beach.
Cleanliness was great. Anna cleaned our room and folded up our bed sheets daily.
The location is amazing. Avellenas beach is a wonderful place to spend several days of vacation, there's a lot of space and not nearly as many people as some of the more popular beaches to the north. There's almost no nightlife, and not many stores or things to do other than enjoy the nature - for us, that was ideal. There's also good surf. There's beach break for surfing, and the rivermouth (estuary-mouth actually) has some good right handers... just watch out for that one big rock in the middle. I preferred the beachbreaks.... it's nice and spread out and I never had to struggle with a crowd, one morning I caught it uncrowded with perfect waist to chest high waves and offshore winds. High tide was in the late afternoon, and that coincided with light and variable winds on most days, so the sunset surfing sessions were also wonderful.
*Surf tip: survey the beach at low tide to see where the lava reef is.
*Another Surf Tip: if you are swimming, be aware and remember that this is the Pacific ocean, and the waves can get big and rough. That being said, the beach can be fun for swimming... I'd suggest wading out to about waist-high on low or mid tides.
I should also mention their pool - its' really nice and we had it all to ourselves most of the time.
Overall, I highly recommend staying at Mauna Loa if you're in Playa Avellenas. The value seemed ridiculously good compared to two other hotels we looked at that were asking about $90 per night. It also seemed like this place was more secluded, and almost a bit more exclusive. There's only a few cabinas here, so it has that uncrowded vibe that we were looking for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Mauna Loa is about 15 min walking distance from Avellanas Beautiful Beach. Our 7 colourful bungalows can host up to 4 people. They are spread in the garden and around the pool for more privacy. Each bungalow is equipped with A/C, ensuite bathroom with hot water, A/C,orthopedic beds (1 double & 2 singles), and a small terrace. The Hotel has a pool (for both adults & kids), a restaurant and a boutique. There is also a common outdoor kitchen for our guests who prefer to cook. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, HostelWorld, Hotels.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and Hotel.de so you can book your Hotel Mauna Loa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Mauna Loa Surf Playa Avellanas
- Hotel Mauna Loa Costa Rica/Playa Avellanas