Hotel Axos
Grand Leoniki(Platanias)
Nefeli Hotel(Platanias)
Rethymno Village(Platanias)
View Hotel
Marinos Beach Hotel Apartments(Platanias)
Cretan Sun(Platanias)
Hotel Amaril(Platanias)
  • Pool
All reviewsaxos barlovely barlive bandhotel barnice pool areagreat holidayself cateringair consee you next yearlovely hotelgreat cocktailsfeel like familysun trapspoilt for choicefamily run hotelthe buswould recommend this hotel to anyone
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Our experience at the Axos hotel and views were virtually identical to those of PedroBB - next door for 2 nights then moved into the Axos Hotel. Agree that Axos should consider next door as 'Axos 2'. Having said that - we were given free breakfasts at the Axos whilst we stayed next door (we had booked self catering studio) and were upgraded to a full apartment when in the Axos. The bath ... well ... why expect different - its Greece !!! Full UK sized baths are not the norm.
The hotel is a good 3*, at a very competative price, well positioned and clean, the bar adds entertainment - the excellent live band that appeared one evening being a particular bonus. The staff are 5* ++ ... and its good staff that make a good hotel great.
Would we stay here again - YES. Would we recommend the hotel - YES

Reviewed October 7, 2010

We have just returned from a 10 night self catering stay at the Axos Hotel and will be definately be planning a return stay in the future.We had a one bedroom apartment that was the perfect size for our family of three. I had some reservations before our trip, as previous accomodation I have stayed in Greece has been VERY basic. The Axos was very modern, with Kettle, fridge, microwave, toaster and sandwich toaster! Perfect for my fussy eater! We had air con and lovely comfortable clean mattresses. And modern curtains and bedding!! And a great size balcony facing the pool!
The family that run the hotel are fantastic and very helpful. We had to stay one night in the hotel next door as noted in prev reports, however we were more than adequatley compensated with luch and breakfast at the Axos bar. My daughter Thalia took a huge shine to Sofia and her son Manos!!
The only downside was at the time of year we stayed, the pool lost the sun around 5ish but with the beach just across the road this was never an issue!! The Hotel is right in the middle of all the restaurants and Bars and a nearby bus stop to get to Rethymnon. The Hotel Bar is very comfortable to sit back and enjoy cocktails or a nice glass of red wine served at room temperature, and with Yiannis behind the bar in control of the tunes, having the same music tastes as us and ready to play all our requests we couldnt go wrong!!
I very much look forward to returning to the Axos hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ChantalKing
Reviewed October 4, 2010

friendly and welcoming staff. the room is clean and very spacious for a studio. basic ameneties provided. great value for money. the beach nearby is not that great but there are plenty of beaches on the island to go and explore. Hotel is not far from the Old Venetian town of Rethymnon, about 10 mins by car. Get a guide book and hire a car for you to enjoy what the island has to offer.

2  Thank MrsN_10
Reviewed October 4, 2010

This must be the 10th visit to Axos Apatments and i must admit that it gets better everytime, we really have enjoyed every single one of our trips to this beautiful island of Crete, We will definatly be back next year to a lovely welcoming that we receive from all the Family at Axos. The service and hospertality is second to none.
Thank you.

With The Kindest Regard

Charlie & Jeannette

1  Thank amy111England
Reviewed October 1, 2010

Having read many reviews of the Axos I have recently returned from a break with my partner and think we can settle the debate.Sorry folks its 3 star overall.
On a late arrival we were efficiently dealt with by staff and taken next door to the Hotel(?) Ariadne as the Axos had overbooked. However I must qualify this by saying that not only were there several other couples in the Axos during our stay who had to spend a night or more next door but this is borne out by previous reviews.So we were not a one off.
As this is my biggest critiscism of the Axos I will get it out of the way.If I were to book a stay in a good London hotel or a hotel in most other countries I would not expect to spend part of my stay next door at Mrs Miggins Boarding House.
The Ariadne(yes I know I'm not reviewing this but I might as well because part of my stay was there) is pretty basic in comparison and has carefully engineered the beds from soild lumps of rock. I did get the feeling that it was being kept alive by the overflow guests from The Axos. I suggest The Axos purchase the Ariadne, do it up(actually its a more attractive building) and call it Axos 2. I don't wish to be unfair to the Axos but overbooking in this way really lets their otherwise good hotel down and for guests its not much fun living out of a suitcase for a night or two.
Our room in the Axos was very nice and quite spacious.The kitchen a little basic but fine for simple meals.The bathroom apart from the bath again very nice.The tiny bath is a typical example of greek engineering and only suitable for those aged 5 and under when it would be great fun.It has a rather large step in it and being so small it is impossible to stand and shower comfortably or sit down where only those with a perfect figure don't end up looking like a squashed toad.The baths really need to be changed on the next refurb.
Maid service is good and having stayed in many and differing greek accommodations over recent years it beats them all.Regular and frequent towel and bed changes and who cares if the maid leaves the sheet folded on the bed.
Breakfast was generally good with a large selection the only downside was the tea and coffee(take your own) and sometimes warm leftovers from the night before. That's not 5 star.
However the staff are 5 star plus.Nothing was too much trouble and they were always friendly, very hard working and willing to help.The bar is also very good and usually busy at night.The pool is smallish but clean and tidy and free Internet is a plus as well as no charge for the room safe or air con.
I realise nothing is perfect and so too the Axos.The good far outweighs the bad and if it can sort out a few glitches then the debate can continue.

1  Thank PedroBB