“Nice surprise”

Grand Leoniki Residence
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Platanias
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Very helpful staff, rooms were clean, location was ok, 6km to Rethymnon, but easy to reach by bus or walking, or with rented car. Nearby many nice restaurants and bars and beach was good. At Octoder, even though weather was goos, 25-30 C and sunny, the swimming pool water was a bit cold. There was one inside pool, with heated water. The beds were a bit too hard and pillows as well and I hate, when there is two beds a side, but they are not tied together, so you keep falling between them.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Grand Leoniki Residence

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We had booked one week here for the last week of September and we ended up only staying for two days and went back to Rethymno.

The service was terrible, food was mediocre and the rooms were run down and shabby. We had booked a two bedroom but when we checked in the front desk fellow took us to our room and it was only a one bedroom. My Mom told him that we had booked a two bedroom and he immediately became defensive and said thats up to RCI, its not our fault. I would have expected atleast "I will look into that and see what we can do". The bathroom stunk and when you ran the water it smelled really bad. They say they have three pools but only one of them is decent.

When we registered they told us about their organic farm and that all of the food at the buffet was from the farm and traditional Cretan cuisine. You could then sign up for half board which we did. We had dinner there the first night and it was nothing special. We had already been on Crete for two weeks and had fantastic meals everywhere we went. The next day we cancelled the half board and ate at the local restaurants which were much better.

The hotel says its "steps from the beach", when if act its about half a kilometer away down a scraggly pathway. The town of Plantanias is nothing special although the beach is fabulous. I would strongly recommend staying in Rethymno which is about 10 KM away. It has fantastic restaurants, wonderful hotels ( stay at Palazzo Vecchio ) and lots of shops and things to do.

4  Thank lovegreece01
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I have to say that I waited more from this resort. I understand why they had lost their Gold status probably year back.
The resort is clean but the apartments needs some upgrades. For example the kitchen is way to small for selfcatering. Not enough room for cooking, since I always like to make dinners "at home". Also I did not understand why the towels had to be changed every second day since the ones brought back smell like old tobaco.....
On the plus side the resort is clean and there are 3 pools to use. We just missed the third pool on the Grand Leoniki side. The entertainment is nothing to mention. There was only 2 nights of theme nights, one Brasilian and one Greek. And if you tood the halfboard they would be included in that. Since we are not "morning" people the breakfast was too early for our liking.
The staff was friendly but they had very little knowldge of sights around Crete and I had to look up everything online at the internet instead. The good thing for us was that the sales reps did not bother us at all.
The location of the resort is really good. It's a close walk to the beach and restaurants close by. The best restaurant that we went to was Taverna Vergina on the other side of the street and the Marem restaurant, also ont the other side of the street.
You definitely need a car to get around the area and the trafic is HORRIFIC. And if you have a navigator, take it with you, bcos a lot of the streets don't have names and it's really difficult to get around the island without it. We had a my husbands TomTom and it was it's weight worth in gold around there.
If you do nothing else spend a day at Koura lake. It's a beautiful place. AND it has a "fish spa" without charge, since there are small fishes living in the lake that does the same thing. I stod there for an half an hour and it felt great. Knossos palace is ofcourse a must but take a guides tour, that is how you get the most of it, otherwise it's just a pile of rocks.
The sourdings in Crete are very dirty witch is why I didn't get a burning for Crete. For me it was "been ther - done that" once.

1  Thank Dolly1208
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Leoniki Residence: The plus points are the friendliness of the staff, the pool area & the restaurant and the location near a good beach. There are also a number of tavernas/restaurants close at hand. The minus point is that the apartments are now looking tired, although they are of a reasonable size. A good base for exploring mid-Crete.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that has a sunny balcony/outside eating area.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank grum69_11
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Not a good experience for us. We are long time RCI folks and have other time shares - so we are not new to the resort scene. This resort is very rundown and has a much undeserved pretentious tone. I have to say that Leoniki resort needs major work physically and a new staff at the front desk. We arrived at Leoniki after several excellent weeks in various hotels in Crete. The hospitality and warmth at the reception of each hotel was memorable. At Leoniki we were treated like we were buying bus tickets in a crowded station - even though nobody else was in line. The only moment of charm was when the "gatekeeper" wanted us to purchase the half-board meal program. He assured us the food was high quality Cretan food. It was not! We cancelled the half-board meal program after the first day. The men at the front desk were even less friendly after that. I would like to excuse it all, as many reviewers have - saying "this is how it is in Crete." However my experience in Crete tells me that this is not so. A traveller to Crete is better off using local hotels and restaurants to enjoy the friendly people, warm hospitality, and excellent food of Crete - not resorts such as the Leoniki.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Arnold T
Reviewed September 28, 2013

As I am not a member of the time share "clique" then I was not biased as I had NOT bought into this scheme :)
Admittedly the accomodation was a little bit dated but I did not go on holiday and not to sit in an apartment all the time moaning. It is Greece and not the Ritz.
The air conditioning was excellent.
The staff were very helpful and the main reception area and swimming pools were great, overall an excellent holiday was had. If I had bought into this "experience" I might not have been so impressed but I cant see any real problem with here. Apparently an upgrade is due very soon so that should please everyone, or will it?

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the rear of the complex as the traffic is a bit noisier than what we was...
2  Thank Mark S
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I am a club la costa member who is used to 4-5 star apartments, i have been to Leoniki 4 years ago and so i knew it is more like 2-3 star apartments but it now is very shabby. The staff are very friendly and hard working. The kitchen facilities did not make me want to self cater, the toilet cistern ran constantly, the bed was hard and every time you moved a muscle it squeaked !!. The pool area is nice but when you look at the plastic filters around the pool they are black with dirt. I love greece but it is very expensive, a gin and tonic and a bottle of beer was £8.The local bus service is excellent for going into town, we also stayed over in Chania and caught the bus to Rethymnon which was excellent.

• Stayed: September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Platanias
Caramel Grecotel Boutique Resort
#1 of 175 in Rethymnon
Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel
Grecotel Creta Palace Hotel
#14 of 175 in Rethymnon

Been to Grand Leoniki Residence? Share your experiences!