“Leoniki Residence”

Grand Leoniki Residence
Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Platanias
Reviewed July 17, 2013

On arrival at the Leoniki we were met by very friendly and helpful staff. The complex is looking very tired, however is due a refurbishment this coming year. The apartments are fully furbished if a little dated and basic, however have a good air-conditioning system. The complex was kept very clean and tidy and the rooms serviced each day. The hotel serves breakfast and evening meals plus snacks during the day. The bar area is by the side of the pool and again staff are very friendly. There are a few pools around the complex that cater for children with the main one having a life guard on duty. There is an site gymn although not very well equipped but air conditioned. There is also a sauna, jacuzzi, squash courts and beautician. The hotel is situated between the old national road and the new national road so I would ask if possible for a quiet room before your stay, we did ask on arrival but were unable to be moved as the hotel was full.
The location of the hotel is good for amenities, beach a 2 minute walk, restaurants, bars and shops and on the main bus route to Rethymno, the buses are every 30 minutes during the day and run all through the night from 12:00 every hour.
Don't be put off by the decor etc. if you visit before the refurb as the staff and location make up for that!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room somewhere in the middle of the complex.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank AlexR728

Reviewed July 10, 2013

The drive from Iraklion to Plantanias was beautiful along the northern coast of Crete. I recommend renting a car unless you are comfortable taking the crowded Greek buses. The location was good for us and was only about a 15 minute drive from the town of Rethymno. We were able to go to a not-so-crowded beach when we wanted to relax and an easy ride to a city for sightseeing.

We had the rental car map and were able to visit Knossos without getting lost.

The hotel didn't have parking so we had to park on a side street. Make sure you are well off the road and pull in the outside mirrors. One morning we woke up and the driver's side mirror was broken. I'm still dealing with insurance. The hotel manager was totally unhelpful and unsympathetic when I told him about the accident.

This trip was in early June. I was starting to get hot so I wouldn't want to go any later in the summer. Waiting until Sept would also be a good time to go as the water would be a little warmer.

Room Tip: Stay away from the main pool/reception area...much too noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank SKRUSING
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Very well located with good swimming pools. Apartments are well equipped and the staff extremely friendly. Overall this was a great break only marred by the beds being well on the hard side of firm. If you want to experience great food then don't miss out on a visit to Pagona's Place in the small village of Tsesmes just behind the apartments, away from the commercial offerings on the main front

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank GIMitchell54
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed in the Leoniki through Club la Costa. Whilst the entrance and the pools are excellent the rooms badly need updating. We were told that this should happen in the next 2 years following a take over by an American company. The apartment we got had a large bedroom with a big, surprising comfortable bed made up of 2 singles pushed together but not much else in the way of furniture other than 2 bedside tables and a small vanity unit. There was a decent sized lounge and kitchen area which had a sofa, convertible into two beds, and a chair. The television was laughable being minute and very old fashioned. The kitchen area was very badly designed with no real preparation area. Outside was a medium sized balcony. The bathroom was good but the shower was over the bath although the pressure was reasonable and the water hot. We had a pool close by which unusually for a holiday pool had an area which could be used for exercise swimming.
The Leoniki has a great location. We walked into Rythmanon on our first day about 5km but from what we saw the Platanes had everything we could have wanted and we didn't go back. The Leoniki was centrally situated along a stretch of about 1km containing bars, restaurants and shops. The beach was nearby and a walk of 200m would bring you there in a couple of minutes.
We went in early June and the weather was superb in the 30s at times. It was out of season and the resort was quite quiet although that was attractive for us. I am not sure I would have wanted to be there in the height of summer. I was surprised how few British people there were though. It being mainly Germans and Scandanavians.
There were plenty of trips to go on but most of them took up all of the day and not something we wanted to do when we were on a quick week away.
We found Crete to be very inexpensive to eat out so did so for both lunch and dinner. Breakfast was bread from the two locals bakeries which was excellent and local jams and preserves. The bakery we used, to the right out of the Leoniki had village bread for a euro which lasted us 2 days. It also has a wide range of cakes and pastries and served coffees and snacks. Lunches including wine or beers were between 10 and 15 euros and dinner between 25 and 40 for 2.
Opposite the Leoniki was a prosecco and wine bar which seemed to become our starting and ending point for the night. The staff were incredible friendly and they usually stayed open until everyone had had enough.
We found 2 authentic taverna which are well worth a visit. Christiannos was to the right after coming out of the Leoniki. It was about 200m walk, down a side street just after a bridge. We found this on our first night and decided to try it despite there being no one else inside. We were well rewarded. It is essentially the family home with tables in the garden and under the veranda. The kitchen was through an open door and mother does all the cooking. It is a limited menu and depends what on what is available locally or from their own garden. We had 3 starters, moussaka and lamb and a litre of local wine. Dessert which was a freebie came in the form of cherries and apricots from the garden. Also free was 2 glasses each of the local raki which I must say is an acquired taste. The whole bill was 23 euros.
Equally as good was Yiannis' place. This was down a track to the side of the prosecco bar and looked out onto the beach. He supplies all of the vegetables and fruit from his own farm as well as making his own wine and olive oil. He is a character and shares front of house with his daughter. His wife does the cooking. The wine is good if a bit light for our normal taste. Often after a leisurely meal and the oranges he gives you for dessert or breakfast you will get a free carafe of wine as well as lots of raki.
We had a really great holiday. The Greek people were incredibly friendly and will certainly be going back especially at this time of year. We might leave it for a year though to take advantage of the upgraded facilities which should be ready by then.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Papa John S
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Just come back from the Leoniki Residence and had a really great time. Would happily go back although there are too many places to see in the world to return to the same place more than a couple of times. Nice apartments, well situated just a few minutes walk to the beach and restaurants. Good bus service just outside the hotel into Rethymno which is well worth a visit. Any downside would be that the beds were a little on the hard side but at least my husband was happy with that!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank dickofthefens
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I have just spent 2 weeks at this hotel, and would recommend it. There are some negative comments within tripadvisor, and although some points are valid, it is still worth a visit. The hotel is due for a refurb, following the owner company being taken over by a big American company, but it still has its own charm. The pool, reception, restaurant and bar areas are very tidy, and clean. I would certainly say they are "tired" as described in some reviews. We stayed in a 2 bed apartment which was very spacious, and had sufficient kitchenware to knock up the occasional meal (who hosts dinner parties when they are away on holiday). We had two bathrooms, which were again quite dated, and with unlimited hot water at a pressure that was at a minimum of 3 bar so no complaints there. There has been some criticism of the beds being hard, which I did find was the case, but this seems to be the norm in Greek Hotels. All of the hotel staff I found to be helpful and very accommodating. There are 2 pools, the main pool by the bar, which has a kids paddling pool, and a longer narrow pool within the hotel for the more more hardcore swimmers.
Upon arrival at the hotel we were offered half board, which we declined. This was a good call overall, as we had a complimentary breakfast here which I thought was quite poor. The hotel is extremely well located within platanas and there are a number of great bars and restaurants within a few minutes walk serving great food at some very reasonable prices, so I would question why you would want to go half board at the hotel.

Overall, although hotel is criticised for being need of a revamp, it's still a very nice hotel, located centrally, 5 mins walk from the beach, with very pleasant staff. I am extremely fussy when it comes to hotels, and although leoniki isn't 5 stars, I would still fully recommend it. Don't be put off by the negative reviews. You won't be disappointed.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Turchese24
Reviewed December 2, 2012

RCI sent ne an email the week before our stay to advise me that they had changed the accomodation because the RCI silver crown one I had booked was closed for the winter. Leoniki is not of the same standard a I was expecting to be disappointed.

Arriving at 11pm was not an issue and the staff were very welcoming. It needed a drive to the Grand Leoniki entrance at the back of the hotel which is where the off site parking is. The good news was that we had a full cooked breakfast included daily! In the end we had no need to cook in the appartment at all. A good breakfast will keep you going until 6pm and then it's time for an early dinner. Most days we were sightseeing / driving and we were often the only people in the tavernas we visited.

Our room was at the back of the hotel. Others have commented about the intrusive noise from the main road which is close by. I didn't have a problem with it, but as the resort seemed to be well under occupied, they could have moved us elsewhere, I guess. The room was clean and well appointed and cleaned daily except Sunday. All the staff, especially those in the restaurant, were very friendly and helpful. They charge for a safe key and I didn't bother with it: I kept our valuables locked in the suitcase when I remembered. The cleaning staff are so busy that they wouldn't have time to go rummaging in your stuff anyway!

October is late in the season and be aware that many restaurants are closed for the winter. (More so on the south coast!) That suits me fine as you can get around and park and the tourist attactions are far less busy. No queue for Knossos, even :-)

This was my 2nd trip to Crete and I love the place.

There is free wifi in theguest lounges - bandwidth can be a bit variable. But it was quite good enough for FB, email and all my photos to download from my phone to my ipad daily via the cloud. I used the indoor and outdoor pools (outdoor pool was way colder than the sea) ut didn;t bother with the sauna / steam rom as they were swiched off. (I'm sure they the staff would have fired them up, but they would have needed ages to get up to temperature and it seemed a waste.)

Overall a great holiday and I was pleasantly surprised (especially with free breakfast daily!)

Room Tip: If possible try to avoid the rooms alongside the main road at the back if you need silence.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank AOC56
Also consider these accommodations in or near Platanias
Caramel Grecotel Boutique Resort
#16 of 175 in Rethymnon
Rimondi Boutique Hotel
Rimondi Boutique Hotel
#2 of 175 in Rethymnon

Been to Grand Leoniki Residence? Share your experiences!