We were pretty impressed by Forest Edge Resort - although the lodging is better than the food. We had a standard chalet for 3 nights and were happy with it, by and large. It was in an awesome location on the property overlooking the pond. From our balcony we had an uninterrupted view of pretty much nothing but beautiful vegetation. The chalet itself was clean and quite compact but certainly had enough room. A couple of improvements might be to replace the mattress (not very comfortable) and to provide a shower enclosure or shower curtain within the bathroom to keep water from getting everywhere.
Breakfast was quite good but other than that, we found the meals pretty weak. The menu is small and trying for boutique-like items and they didn't have the more basic stuff that we were looking for. As well, the supposed-to-be-hot meals usually arrived on the cold side. Service in the restaurant was generally good, although a bit hit and miss depending on who was serving. The setting of the restaurant - outdoors overlooking the beautiful (somewhat wild) grounds - was very nice. We took most of our meals elsewhere and found the Banana Cafe at Sepilok Jungle Resort, just a couple of hundred meters down the road, to have better meals at better prices. However, the accommodations at Forest Edge seemed far superior to those at Jungle Resort.
A couple of other things:
• Wifi is free but available only in the restaurant area.
• Within walking distance to the Orang Utan Rehab Centre (10 minutes) and to the Rainforest Discovery Centre (15 to 20 minutes).
• The pool/hot tub was not well maintained. The water looked dirty and had lots of vegetation (leaves etc.) in it. We gave it a miss.
All in all, pretty good and we'd stay there again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sepilok Forest Edge Resort comprise of beautiful village style chalets which is surrounded by lush green surroundings and hills as a backdrop which further embraces the amazing view. Several types of chalets are available to cater to your needs, starting from the standard chalet for a superb value lodging to the Family chalet for a worry free family outing. The superior chalet is also available for those who requires some extra pampering. The Long House (LBB )consists of several rooms which are also available for those who want to experience lodging with a difference. Labuk Bed & Breakfast (LBB) is the premiere lodging spot for backpackers, nature enthusiasts or families that are just looking for a retreat with nature. LBB has received recommendations by Lonely Planet as well as various other travel guides over the course of its 15 years heritage. LBB has since moved from jalan labuk, Mile 14 to its new location: which is just a 10 minutes walk to the Sepilok Orang Utan Rehabilitation Centre. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Ctrip TA, HostelWorld and Travelocity so you can book your Sepilok Forest Edge Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sepilok Forest Edge Hotel Sepilok
- Sepilok Forest Edge Sandakan