“Surprisingly nice!”
Review of Hotel Willa Park

Hotel Willa Park
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Zagan
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We had booked the Hotel Okatex in Zagan on Booking.com but when we found it, everything was all locked up, no lights, etc. We went next door to the Hotel Willa Park to see if they had any information and it turns out they own both hotels. They offered to check us into the Hotel Okatex but advised that we would be the only people in the building and said they had openings at the Hotel Willa Park if we were willing to pay a little more. The difference was negligible so we went for it, even though it seemed like a good old-fashioned 'bait and switch' con.

Our room was very nice, larger than we had anticipated and furnished nicely, although everything was fairly outdated fashion-wise. That's not particularly important to me and actually seemed to add to the charm of the place, especially considering that this area of Poland has not been very economically-advantaged and for many years was oppressed by various political factions. The bed was comfortable, the room was quiet and everything was very clean plus there was an elevator to help us get our luggage up to the room. There was also free WiFi and many spa services, which we didn't have time to take advantage of, plus beautiful grounds surrounding the buildings. Our double room, including a terrific breakfast, cost less than $70 USD so we were quite satisfied.

As far as service goes, the employees couldn't have been nicer - we had the impression they really knocked themselves out to make us happy. When they found out that we were there to visit Stalag Luft III, where my father had been held during WWII as a Prisoner of War, they gave us literature about the museum, a large map of the city and expressed interest in hearing my story. When the desk clerk saw me looking at a book about my father's time in the camp later in the evening, she asked if she could see some of the pictures, There seemed to be at least one and often several employees available who spoke enough English that we were able to communicate fairly well and even those employees who didn't speak English were willing to do their best to help and were very tolerant of our need to look things up in the Polish/English dictionary. Even when we could see they had other things to do, they always managed to give us the impression that attending to our needs was the single most important thing on their minds, which made us feel special, although I suspect they treat everyone the same way.

I think if someone plans to stay in this place, a little tolerance for International cultural differences and allowances in standard of expectations for the somewhat rural region need to be included in everything. We've stayed in much nicer places but when this place is put into context, we felt it rated above average for what we could have gotten in a region that still has many economic struggles and challenges to overcome. It might have gotten a much different rating if the identical hotel had been in London or Los Angeles but it's not - it's in Zagan, Poland, and I really think that needs to be considered when rating accommodations. I'm providing lots of photos to help you make your own decision should be be staying in this area.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lynda A

Reviewed September 16, 2013

We were there for the Zagan Festival 'Jarmark Michala' and to see family

They have a monopoly in Zagan and need more competition so that they up their game.

We didn't opt for breakfast this time as it is so hit and miss, we were is block C which was a god send as there was a wedding on at the main building that went on most of the night. water not really hot despite asking for it to be turned up, we managed and it was cheap!

Book Okatex and get Villa park!

Eating out visit Kepler in town great value and food

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 14, 2013

I booked the Hotel Okatex in Zagan on Booking.com about a month before my stay.
We arrived in the evening, just after dark, and the hotel gates were all chained up and there were no lights on in the hotel. It looked like it had closed down.
Luckily I had the hotel's phone number with me and called them. My call went to the Reception of the Hotel Willa Park, which was next door. They advised me that Hotel Okatex was open for guests and they owned both hotels and I had to come to Willa Park to check in.
On arrival at the Willa Park Reception we were advised that Willa Park was a much nicer hotel and we could stay there for a small upgrade price. We decided to stay at Willa Park as we had had enough messing around for one cold wet evening and just wanted to relax as soon as possible.
On opening the bedroom door it was like stepping back in time to the 1970's. The furniture was very old and the bedding was very dated. The bed had seen better days and the mattress springs were sticking in my back a little bit. The room itself was very clean and had a flat screen TV, which looked out of place in such a dated room. The TV had about 20 channels but none were in English. The towels in the bathroom were very hard and could have done with being washed with fabric softener.
The hotel had a restaurant with lots of nice smells coming from it, but as we were only in town for one night we decided to eat in town. We did have breakfast at the hotel which was a very average buffet.

Room Tip: Do not stay in a room overlooking the car park as you will hear people, dogs and some sort of bird m...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I had the pleasure of spending a weekend here and in all areas, was not dissapointed. The hotel and grounds were clean and well kept. My room was spotless. I requested a room with a larger bed being rather tall and I got exactly what was requested. The staff went above and beyond the call to be helpful and overall, I came away from the weekend quite impressed. Yes, there are wedding receptions on the weekend (Wesele), but just embrace it versus complain about it, I had no problem with noise per se, overall, when in Zagan, this really is the only place I'd stay.....

Room Tip: 3rd Floor is the best.......
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 12, 2013

We enjoyed the mini- parkland setting and the hotel. Obvious east European touches exist by way of decor and economy light switches in the corridors. The absence of many children or wedding parties gave the staff their chance to prove both helpful and cheerful and for ourselves to appreciate that together with simple good food Zagan gave us a welcome.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Reading the other reviews , I am surprised at some of the comments. I have just come back from visiting Zagan and has the pleasure of staying at the Willa Park. I thought it looked beautiful from the outside, surrounded by lusciously green grounds. Inside, the rooms are light and airy. I personally found the bed very comfortable. The bathroom was spotless. Breakfast was super. We had an evening meal which I thoroughly enjoyed. Everyone in our party was impressed.

Room Tip: I found my room perfectly quiet as the quiet road outside the hotel is a fair distance due to the dr...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 9, 2013

We went to visit Stalagluf III and this was the best rated hotel in Zagan. It was an old hospital that had been modernised although still a bit old fashioned! Very reasonablely priced and we had a good evening meal in bar area. The hotel was quite noisy as sound travels round building. A party of school children were staying here and were up at 6.00 plus other people up drinking in bar until 1.30. This was an unusual place worth a one night stay!

Room Tip: There are some really big rooms with balconies on second floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zagan
Wiechlice Palace Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ilowa
Hotel Jankow
Hotel Jankow
#4 of 4 in Zary

Been to Hotel Willa Park? Share your experiences!