“If you miss that ice cream place at rice Hill you miss part of Oregon !”
Review of K & R Drive In

K & R Drive In
Ranked #1 of 1 Dessert in Rice Hill
Reviewed July 29, 2012

That ice cream place at Rice Hill is K and R Drive in. Great fast food home cooked,with excellent ice team to back it up. And good tasting water! A staple for our family for thirty years now! No restroom so hit Piolt station before you stop. Just sayin' for kids.

1  Thank Kungfufire

Reviewed July 7, 2012

I seldom review anything, but I just have to put in my 2 cents.
We Came all the way from Eugene to have a burger and fries. heard it was good.
The burger and fries were just ok... BUT the worst was after spending over
$20 on this meal they would not give me a glass of water, Wish I had of asked
before got my food, I would of spent my money elsewhere.I've NEVER Been
refused a glass of water in a place I was spending money to eat.
She said I could talk to the manager , but why do that, they set that rule.
Also we ordered the jalapeno rings and got poppers instead. at $1 Each
it should of been what we ordered. we ate what we got:-( and then was told no water?
Wont be back. Guess they have such a good location they could care less if
you come back or not. a least that is how they acted. rude? yeah.immature? that to
Unprofessional? without a doubt

3  Thank a d
Reviewed July 3, 2012

If you've grown up knowing this place as a kid...its great! If your new to the place, you would think..."why?" Love it or hate it like the local greasy-spoon diner. It's nostalgic and they give you big scoops!

Reviewed March 11, 2012

Yep, no bathrooms. Old buildings. But, my burger was good, and the plank or steak fries are plentiful and good. I read the other reviews, but our service was okay. Been here several times over several years. Nothing's changed!

Reviewed November 20, 2011

Wow. I’m still a little in shock. We just saw the sign for Rice Hill and thought we’d give our kids a treat and stop at the ice cream place. As we were sitting in the car, we watched one of the workers (in her 20’s, long, died yellow-blonde hair with dark roots, pulled back) wipe down the part of the water fountain where the water comes out with a visibly dirty cloth. I was completely grossed out. She then used the same cloth to wipe down the inside of the drinking fountain basin. (This was the same cloth we’d just watched her wipe down the outdoor tables with!) My husband went up to the window and the same woman was working the order window. He had to ask her to wash her hands. He ordered, and when he returned I noticed we’d been overcharged by several dollars. (We’d ordered 2 scoops – 1 scoop of one flavor and 1 scoop ½ and ½ of two flavors – a two scoop bowl is $4.50.) They’d asked him if he wanted them in separate bowls and (not knowing he’d be charged 3 dollars more) my husband had said yes. This should be a simple misunderstanding, right? Unfortunately; so wrong. Wow, again. My husband approached the window and explained he’d been overcharged. The gal explained that because he got it in separate bowls he was charged $7.25. Well, 6 scoops of ice cream cost $7.75. We’d gotten two. I was sure they’d be reasonable and realize, upon our explaining we’re from out of town and not familiar with their menu, that it was a misunderstanding, and we truly only received two (small) scoops of ice cream (which didn’t taste particularly fresh, by the way – yuck) and happily refund the difference (and keep our business.) So, I went back up to the window with my husband to explain. What happened next still blows my mind! (I should add NO other customers were waiting, so it wasn’t that they were rushing out of pressure to serve another customer.) I began explaining the entire situation to the worker, at which point she became argumentative and was saying “I GAVE him what he ORDERED!” I explained, calmly, that that wasn’t what he’d meant to order. We’re on a road trip, on a tight budget, not from this area, and didn’t realize it cost more for separate bowls, etc. She then said “We don’t give refunds.” She disappeared for a second, then gave us a “customer complaint” form to fill out. I said “We aren’t getting a refund, though?” because we’d thought it must be a form to fill out for a refund. She said no. At this point, another worker came over (a middle-aged lady, gray hair pulled back with thick bangs) and said “The time for a refund would have been when he first ordered. Now, it’s too late!” (Basically screamed at us!!) (This also contradicts what the other gal says – that they don’t give refunds! Besides, how obviously untrue IS that? Of course they give refunds. What if they accidentally overcharge someone? I start to explain “We’re from out of town, we didn’t understand your menu, you know all we got were two scoops of ice cream, but we can’t afford to pay that much for it.” (Or something to that effect.) She SLAMS the window in my face. HARD. It makes a loud bang. RIGHT in my face!! I was in absolute shock! My husband was, too!! I open the window and say “You literally just slammed the window in my face! That is so rude! Why can’t we just reasonably talk about this?” Then she goes on a RAMPAGE! “You need to come back when the manager is here. We’re not giving you a refund. You need to leave our property, now! This is private property! Get your [...] out of here!!! You need to GO! NOW! DO YOU WANT ME TO CALL THE COPS?” She grabs the phone! I need to emphasize. At NO point has anything on our end escalated. We felt so confident they were merely misunderstanding us, since it seemed such a simple issue and fix, that we just kept explaining. Calmly and respectfully. They were argumentative, defensive and belligerent from the start. I just couldn’t believe it. Maybe they were just upset because we’d had them wash their hands after scrubbing the water fountain and spit area with a dirty cloth?! I asked what on earth they would call the cops for? “BECAUSE YOU WON’T GET YOU’RE A**ES OUT OF HERE! LEAVE! NOW! IT’S TIME FOR YOU TO GO!” And, of course, she SLAMS the window, again. So, we start filling out the form. Eventually, the first gal comes back and opens the window (I figured they’d thought better of their behavior and come to give us our refund.) Nope. She asked us to scoot over so they could help the next customer. At this point I try to appeal one more time. I say “Why don’t you want us to leave happy? We’re from out of town. I’m a Mom of 4 kids. We’re on a budget. We’re on a road trip! (I’m in tears because of how I’m being treated.)” She asks us to scoot over. So, my husband says. “Okay, we’ll scoot over. But may I please ask your names.” The gray-haired rampage lady screams “NO!” I’ve NEVER encountered this before! If they’re so sure they’re right, why do they care if we know their names to put on the comment card? So I just took a mental picture of them and will describe when exactly they were working so the owner will know exactly who we were dealing with. (11 am, Sunday, November 20, 2011.) At this point, the gray-haired lady comes back over, opens the window in front of us, violently SNATCHES the paper out of my hands (before I’ve finished) and says “YOU NEED TO GO! NOW!” At this point, I told her we’d be following up with a phone call. (I’m assuming she trashed our comment card. We’ll be sure to follow up to find out if she did or not.) So, we need to do our duty. Of explaining to you that this is an un-sanitary place AND an unkind, unreasonable place. As you can clearly see, we’ll never be eating there again. And we should try to be sure others avoid this fate, too!! We never raised our voices. We never swore. We never threatened. All we did was ask how we could resolve the situation. To sum up: it was unsanitary. The food wasn’t good. The service was ATROCIOUS.

9  Thank mamaamy