“Great place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Roda
Horsham, United Kingdom
“Great place to stay”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

ok lets start off with the bad..... the aircon dripped and was noisy.. erm yes the water was cheaper in the supermarket next door....... That's it.

The location was practically perfect, just enough out of town with no main roads nearby to be quiet. but still only 5 mins walk to an array of excellent restaurants and an excellent beach..

The hotel itself was clean and comfortable, one of the best hotels I have stayed in when in the Greek islands. Spacious rooms (we had one of the loft rooms at the back of the hotel) with a nice (but small) balcony, and a first for me in Greece, a decent hot shower! The pool was great (where we spent most of our time) with a nice pool bar for the essential drinks and snacks. We ate at the hotel probably 5 times during our two weeks, couldn't miss the fantastic souvlakia eat all you can grill nights both weeks, and had to try the 'Greek night'. But the food was good every time. And the setting was wonderful overlooking the sea.

Then to the best feature of the Coral, the staff.. These guys, and girls, were fantastic. Unlike the majority of guests we took the time to get to know them a little and at least had a drink in the bar every night, where Thassos made the amazing cocktails.. Thess guys all worked incredibly long hours every day, I don't know how they did it..??

Roda itself is a lovely smallish resort, Just enough bars and restaurants to be entertaining for two weeks. Every place we went to the people were friendly and the food was great.

We would definitely go back to Roda and the Coral Hotel..

Room Tip: Loft rooms out the back perfect for families, plenty of room and quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank Paul W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
  • Greek first
Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

Just returned back from a week at the coral hotel with my girlfriend and parents and can not believe how this hotel has got so many good reviews and is rated the best in Roda. I don't want to be that bad review where people say there's always one moaner, but honestly, I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anybody. The manager of the hotel was unbelievably rude, there was literally 2 options for evening meal for the half board, and the quality of food was disgusting; the menu stated roast beef, mash, Yorkshire puddings, veg and gravy (Sunday roast) for which I got served wafer thin beef with a few chips and rice. We got the impression there was a limited amount of food left as it was end of season and it needed using up. 2 days before coming home they had no beer left on draught, bottles only. Not as though it mattered as they started shutting the bar 2-3 hours early so the staff could have it to themselves keeping us awake till the early hours in the bar. In terms of the maids they might aswel not exist, we got clean towels once in the week and sheets changes also once, they would occasionally come in and make our bed which we could do anyway! They never replaced the toilet roll and my girlfriend had to go and ask for some off the manager which he replied 'are you sure?'.. Maybe this ignorant excuse of a man should get a few things prioritised (e.g guests) instead of himself, and he might have a decent hotel. Overall disappointment of a holiday and wouldn't go back even if it was free, the waiters were brilliant but everything else was a let down.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
15 Thank Dannyhardman
Reviewed October 16, 2013

we went to the coral on 5th October for 8 nights,and after doing a lot of research on this site we were all expecting a great holiday,well we were all very disappointed but made the best of it.having travelled to many places over the years including the greek islands about 6 years ago we couldn't believe how the standards have dropped.the village was like an abandoned place that people had just left to die, I think the economy has had a bad effect on them.The hotel owner was very rude to several guests and was more intrested in closing down for winter than making sure everyone was happy,our room was nice with a lovely sea view but was not superior by a very long shot I know we are in Greece and the word can have a bit of a different meaning but the simple things were not good enough,towel rail and shower holder both hanging off the wall no kettle in room we had to ask for toilet rolls every time we needed them and staff looking at us as though we were asking for something unusual,the cleaners were not very good quick make up of bed and towels every other day floor wasn't swept or mopped the whole 8 days.Our son and his partner stayed in the room next to us and ended up being eaten alive by bed bugs not acceptable,the noise from the bar below was fine until around midnight when for some unknown reason they turned the music up full blast for about half an hour,they advertise bottled water as same price as the supermarkets absolute lies,you could buy 6 bottles for the price of one of theirs we only bought one :( the food was very repetitive and not very good we were half board big mistake the soup was the same every day with a different name,overall we were very disappointed with the hotel and did not complain to the manager has he seemed very unapproachable,we would not recommend this hotel or village.

7 Thank steve h
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Have been to the Coral twice this year in July and October.The hotel is in a great location.The rooms are spacious and very clean.The pool area is lovely.The hotel is a short walk from the shops and beach,What made it so memorable for us are the staff.They are so welcoming and friendly and the atmosphere is terrific.Hope to return soon.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank Marcia632
Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Had a week break the beginning of October in a double attic room in the rear block. Room was adequate but found bed/mattress hard. Hot water for showers was not always reliable. Our room had not been thoroughly cleaned, a pair of socks and an empty pills capsule were under the bed, notified reception but not removed when we returned late afternoon. Breakfasts were OK but a "when its gone its gone" approach operated for the "speciality of the day". Only ate there one evening (Souvlaki night) and enjoyed it. We prefer to eat out at local restaurants/tavernas, plenty of choice in Roda, use Tripadvisor ratings as a reasonable guide. Using public transport it is possible to visit Corfu (worth a visit), Sidari (avoid!!) and Kassiopi (picturesque). Walking along the shore it is possible to reach Agios Spiridon (about 4hrs return) and Acharavi (1hr return). Generally happy with the hotel, shame about the room cleanliness and hot water.

Room Tip: Cannot advise, but web site photos of rooms not relevant to attic rooms.
3 Thank duntoglos
Stafford
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Judging by the glowing reviews for the Coral you would have thought I was reviewing another hotel, sadly I'm not. Just returned from a week’s stay and to say I'm disappointed would be an understatement.
From the moment I pulled up with the coach to see the half built building next door and the fact there isn't a beach in front of the hotel as the official pictures look to indicate but a shear drop into the sea, I felt mislaid.The welcome was ok and having been shown to my room first impressions seemed well, I settled in looking forward to the week.
The room looked quite new as other people have said, but I noticed it felt damp and as the weather went downhill through the week, it got worse. I was badly bitten by mosquitoes throughout the stay despite using a plug-in repellent,not sure if this was due to the rain or the surrounding neighbours farm..
Turning up for breakfast the first morning it was a big shock for me in the quality of food & very poor choice.The coffee/tea was awful the marmalade had not taste what so ever and I ended going out and buying better quality tea bags.
I had paid for the half board tariff and to be honest wish I hadn’t, the choice was very limited and I found out later in the week that the hotel was closing at the weekend for end of season, I guess they were using up what was left in the kitchen.
On a positive note nearly all the staff were friendly and helpful except for whom I believe was the owner, I came to experience his bad manners mid week when I was sat in the hotel lobby area quietly reading a book, he came over disturbing me whilst I was reading and said I was sitting in his chair and if I could move..Now there was no indication to guests that this was his place and I felt he was very rude to ask a paying guest to shoo,shoo away.
I would agree with others that the cocktails were of a good standard and the cleanliness in the areas of the hotel apart from my room was good,but for me these things don't make up basic failings in the hotel ie the lack of upkeep in cleaning my room, the floor was never mopped or swept all week, neither the bathroom cleaned and I had to ask for clean towels which I got once;the poor breakfast and lack of choice of evening meal and just the feeling they had "given up" for the year and couldn't wait to shut up shop.Maybe other people expectations were different but for me basics such as mentioned above felt lacking and why I have given it a poor rating.

Room Tip: Had a room at the back of the hotel which had a poor view,suggest a upgrade to one of the rooms at t...
6 Thank Vodaboy
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2013

The Coral Hotel, Road is in a lovely position overlooking the sea. The reception areas and bar and restaurant are first class. The staff are very friendly and nothing is too much trouble for them. The prices in the restaurant are no more expensive than basic restaurants but the food is fabulous. We stayed in a basic twin room which was adequate and it had a kettle which was an added bonus. The air conditioning and fridge cost extra but we didn't need air con as the weather wasn't over hot in Sept 2013 when we stayed. The swimming pool area was OK but seemed smaller than it looked on photos but as the beach was near by we didn't use the pool.

Room Tip: Some tour operators offer superior rooms for additional price and it is my advice that it may be wor...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Susan C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roda
Philoxenia Hotel Corfu
Art Hotel Debono
Art Hotel Debono
#1 of 17 in Gouvia
Kontokali Bay Resort and Spa

Been to Coral Hotel? Share your experiences!