“Good location, disappointing food” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Liapades Beach Hotel

Liapades Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Liapades
London
“Good location, disappointing food”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

This busy hotel enjoys a good location on a steep hill just above a pretty cove. It's popular with Germans, Russians and Brits on package holidays. There's an attractive pool with its own bar. Despite having no view at all, our ground floor room was spacious, clean and in decent condition. Our TV had perfect reception of BBC World and various Greek and German channels. There was no noise at night.

Reception staff, including the manager, Spiros, were helpful and spoke excellent English. The main dining area used for dinner and breakfast is known as the Cricketers Taverna - but it isn't really a taverna at all. It's like a rather depressing and dimly lit 1980s company canteen.

The a la carte meals looked quite good, but for those on half board, it's a different story. There's no choice or advanced warning of what you're going to get. The food is just plonked down in front of you, and it's pretty basic fayre. One of the dishes served to us was a bowl of tasteless chopped cabbage 'garnished' with four small slices of tomato and a couple of olives. This apology for a salad was left untouched by most diners. Breakfast was better, with a standard selection of cereals, bread, ham and cheese. Weak coffee is dispensed from a machine.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rentaquote

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

I booked my holiday via Olympic Holidays. They assured us this was a 3 star restaurant and having looked on the hotels website advertising every room with a 'sea and mountain' view I was so excited!

Olympic Holidays sent us our hotel info WRONG stating 2 star but refused to send us something that said 3 star on it. I emailed the hotel and they returned it saying they were a 3 star. When we arrived the reception guy told us it was actually only a 2?!

We arrived in August 2012 with our 2 star sheet, handed it to the guy on reception who allowed a young boy take us to our rooms. He was a student, very kind and polite but only offered to help us with our 20kg bags half way to the room leaving my mum lost and unable to lift it up the stairs to our room in the 'Katerina Apartments' He explained to us how to use the air-con etc and soon left us.

We were shocked, the shower was tiny, the view was just of trees and the local hotel grounds and it wasn't very nice. We complained and in the morning were moved to room 40, the best in the hotel with a gorgeous mountain & pool view and lovely bathroom. The trees in front of the sea had overgrown so no view of the sea unfortunately but this was okay. It was beautiful to wake up to every morning and also sit on the balcony at night.

The beds were atrocious! I left this holiday of 7 nights with the worst back pain I've ever had, and I'm a person with previous spinal issues so good mattress's are important to me. Having taken this holiday to rest I never felt more tired with the rubbish sleeps every night. This did allow me to easily fall asleep on the beach and by the pool every day to sun bathe which was what I wanted to do but did not appreciate their beds.

The first evening we went down to dinner we were told we would receive a starter, salad, main and dessert so assumed we could choose this off the restaurant menu. These were taken out of our hands without an explanation until we realized we weren't actually allowed to choose. Luckily if you didn't like something they could change it for you but I didn't want to eat garlic filled dishes every night as this always made me feel ill. The taste never disappears even after brushing!

Breakfast was very simple; ham, cheese, watery filter coffee, sour orange juice, hard croissants (don't expect M&S quality), bread, (the rolls were good and fresh!), peaches and jam/butter.

TYPICAL EVENING MEAL:
Starter: Lasagna/Cucumber Garlic Sauce with bread/Pasta
Salad: Tomatos and Cucumber/Greek Salad only 2 olives
Main: Grilled fish/Roasted Beef with potatos on Sunday/Lamb & Veg
Dessert: Peach/Melon/Ice-Cream

Ordering from their menu however at lunch if you're just half board is very good. Their food is lovely! (When you can choose what you want)

ENTERTAINMENT: They had a greek night with some dancers one evening. This was very good! Zumba was advertised in the hotel but information on when/where it was wasn't very confident. We came down on the night it was meant to run and couldn't find the class anywhere so gave up and had drinks.

Something that made this all good though was the staff's kindness. Every staff member was lovely and we were given complimentary extra starters at dinner if we weren't happy about something. I grew very addicted to their bruschetta! (However very garlicy)

I advise DO NOT EAT BY THE POOL. WASPS. I ate my bruschetta in front of the pool, loads of wasps decided to come down to join in. I got so scared I ran away bare foot without thinking and stood on one hiding in the grass. In absolute agony for ages as I had never been stung before and have since now become petrified of wasps, more than I am of spiders.

The pool was lovely though and very clean. You can't swim at night however because they clean it then. :( Not good when its still 42c at night and a cold swim is all you want! Me and my mum went to scout out 'Elly Beach Hotel' and their pool was green and murky with what seemed to be broken things everywhere.

Liapades Beach Hotel is very clean and they do what they can to tackle the wasps issue but you just can't escape them.

The pool bar was very nice, a massive selection of cocktails to try every day which I think I spent most of my holiday spending money on oops!

THINGS TO DO:
Visit Paleokastritza, Corfu Town, Rovinia Beach, Paradise Beach, the 1st bar snacks cafe on the beach front is brilliant. Lovely staff members and brilliant cheap food. Lovely place to sit and watch the sun set over the mountains and sea.

This is definitely a relaxing/swimming holiday. After 3 days I felt fully rested and ready to go back to work but had 4 more days left. If I were to return I would book direct with the hotel so it's cheaper and only go for 3 nights. I absolutely loved Rovinia beach. Such a good place to relax until it got busy midday! Once you get over the shock of difference to home luxury its actually a really lovely hotel and great when you have a very busy work lifestyle at home and need a break! :) I'd definitely return, but out of wasp season. This is what made it hard to relax in the last few days.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front overlooking the sea & mountain!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Diana_Field
St.Petersburg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2012

I have just back from the Liopades Beach, where I was with my family during two weeks. First of all.
I have been seen very friendly and open atmosphere in the hotel, very kind relation between Spiros, staffs and guests. We have had HB; the cuisine was very good on dinner as well as in restaurant.
I have highly recommended the Liopades Beach for any one.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2012

We have just returned from spending a wonderful few days at the Liapades Beach Hotel. The Hotle is in a great location and is away from the many other crazy holiday locations in Corfu. The room we had overlooking the pool area was light spacious and had a brilliant view. The pool area was also very welcoming.
However the best part of the hotel was the attached Cricketers Taverna - what a lovely setting! The food was brilliant and the staff very friendly. I am not one for returning to places (there is so much to see, but would go back to this Taverna).

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank LiamHum
Rolleston on Dove, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2012

We have just returned home after spending three weeks at the Liapades Beach hotel and I re-iterate exactly what I wrote last year. The welcome from Spiros and his staff is just as warm, the ambiance is just as good. Everyone works so hard to ensure you enjoy your stay without being intrusive. Ask for a room looking over towards Lakones and sit on the balcony in the evening watching the sun set and the eagles soaring in the sky, with a glass of chilled white wine, what more could you want, except one of Spiros delicious suppers! We are so pleased to have found this place and I think we will be returning for many years to come. Don't take my word, try it for yourselves.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank lakones
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

I love this hotel! We were here for six days in September 2011 and spent a great time. We were on HB board and everything was very tasty. The rooms are small, clean and pleasant, the staff is wonderful. There are great beaches nearby. I definitely recommend this small family hotel and surrounding area!

Room Tip: http://www.liapades-bliss.com/walking-guide/index.html - information about Liapades and beaches
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank zany_79
Sidmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2011

Cricketers Taverna part of hotel and was brill. Look at reviews of Elly beach hotel for reference to this hotel - a refuge for great food and 1st rate service.

• Stayed September 2011
3 Thank DoctorTechnical
Also consider these accommodations in or near Liapades
Blue Princess Beach Hotel & Suites
MarBella Corfu Hotel
#1 of 5 in Agios Ioannis Peristeron
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,020 reviews
Aeolos Beach Resort

Been to Liapades Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!