“I was also robbed at lhoste”

La Playa Orient Bay
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Orient Bay
New York City, New York
“I was also robbed at lhoste”
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I have stayed at lhoste for fifteen years. This June 20th I went out to dinner came back nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Went to bed, woke up the next morning check my wallet in the safe to see how much money I had and found the safe opened wallet with 1000.00 dollars gone. I put my iPad in the safe with my wallet, gone. My 35 mm camera on my dresser gone. My two iPods and back pack gone. People wake up. This safe had a digital code. Camera's on the outside of the hotel showed no entry. Well, where did my stuff go. I notified management with 4 days left on this island. Had to wait 3hours for police to arrive. The next day had too travel 1 hour to police station to file a report. I had no money, no car.. Management gave me 100.oo dollars. Taxi was 20' taxi had too wait for 1hour n charged me another 20.oo. And then another 20.oo to get back to lhoste.
I will never return back to st.martin with deep regrets. Made a lot of friends there but to know someone was in my room and stole from me, cannot do it. Staying in the states for awhile as this was tough getting over. Be careful, anyone that visits. Be on guard.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
8 Thank Charles S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Reviewed July 24, 2012

The french side of st Martin will greet you with high food prices and rude people, tourists and locals. I was disappointed in the steep prices for just about everything, and be prepared, if you don't speak French, to not hold a conversation in English even with waiters and such. The beaches are nice, but the sandy beds and nasty bug bites can really make or break your trip.

• Stayed July 2012
6 Thank Eemmiillyy
Cape Cod
Reviewed April 23, 2012

After reading some negative reviews that we thought were petty we gave L"Hoste a try and were pleased that we did. It was a wonderful resort, the staff was extremely helpful. The continental breakfast was perfect and included croissants and baguettes, juice , yogurt, cold cereal, coffee/tea....The beach bar had good lunches. The resort is right on the beach which was great for walking and swimming. There was a little surf that was just right. The beach is very European (topless) but no big deal, Within a very close walk (minutes) was a little plaza with 7 restaurants. Our favorite was the Tai Chi . Also a convenience store/mini mkt was just around the corner. We rented a car right at the hotel for a day which we did twice. Nice not to have to arrange to return a car to the airport as we were leaving.Recommend a taxi to and from the airport.($35). Room was clean but a little dated but truthfully we were there very little. There was daily maid service and the room was always clean. WiFi available in gazebo area near reception desk. We would definately go again.

Room Tip: We had second floor "Bamboo Room" with a balcony. Very nice but no ocean views.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank CapeCodKrumholtz
Laguna Niguel, California
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Older hotel on very popular beach. My son and I stayed here for 3 nites and had a chance to evauate the area. Staff were great - very friendly and helpful. Room was cleaned on a daily basis but on arrival, lysol odor was so heavy, we had to leave doors open for hours. Probably more Americans in area than French.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank mantasatnite
Nokesville, Virginia
Reviewed April 8, 2012 via mobile

The hotel was nice and was close to the beach. There were thefts from rooms during our stay. After being publicly ridiculed for bringing beer from another bar to our beach chairs we decided to go elsewhere for our relaxation.It was one of the most embarrassing things that we have experienced while on vacation. The hotel staff were equally confused and told us that they did no know of such a policy. Also, there is no work out room as advertised in expedia. The beach is beautiful and the island is awesome. For a great time sign up for the eagles tour boat excursion. It is week worth the money and you get picked up and dropped off at you hotel.

Stayed March 2012
3 Thank JohnL13551
Wilmington, North Carolina
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Me and my wife stayed here for a week and loved every minute of it ! We did not have one single issue or problem. You come here to soak in the laid back lifestyle of the French side. If you are looking to chill at the beach, enjoy fresh rum punch and local flavor come to L'Hoste ! Trust me we will be back to this same hotel again. Hit the pool cookout and get a drink from Diddy I think thats how to spell his name pronounced "DEE-DEE" Oh and go down the way to KAKAO outdoor bar and tell G.P. that Lou the "pizza man" said hello ! Best chill bar...cheers !

Room Tip: we like the upper room and pool cookout
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Lou L
Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We stayed there in Jan. last year, and were pleasantly surprised by the level of service and the area it is in. Our 2nd floor chalet was very close to the beach and was clean and spacious. Every morning we would have an umbrella and 2 chairs set up for us right on the beach, sometimes we'd stay for lunch, other times we would leave and come back and they would set it up for us again. The beach is special, as are all the pretty people who walk it. Heading into the French dinning district is a breeze ( we had a car ) and there are many very good places to dine. Also several places you could walk to, although not of the quality that are available in the French area. I did notice a KFC, with chickens running around in the back, thought that was interesting. Also if you get to the other side of the island, La Sammona ( sp ) is worth stopping in for lunch or a cocktail. And finally the beach bar at the end the runway, at the airport is a very cool place to watch the jets land. You can almost touch them! All in all a very relaxing and memorable place.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 8 in Oyster Pond
Esmeralda Resort
Esmeralda Resort
#4 of 8 in Orient Bay

Been to La Playa Orient Bay? Share your experiences!