I've read some of the reviews of this hotel and I would say people have points that are valid, and others that are just too picky. Hopefully this review will set the record straight.
This hotel is conveniently located within 300 feet of Orient Beach, one of the more well known beaches in the Caribbean....mostly due to the clothing optional possibilities.
We've been going to SXM and staying at Esmeralda for the past 10 years. We used to love going to this island, but we've probably made our last visit. Not because anything Esmeralda has done, but just the absolute filth, trashiness, and overpopulation of SXM itself.
The Esmeralda is owned by the Concord Hotel chain along with the Alamanda. It is an older resort that has made some moves to update its furniture, but it's not a Four Seasons or Ritz, even if they charge it sometimes.
There's absolutely no reason that I would pay more than $300/ night for this hotel even in high season. It's simply not worth it and you'll be disappointed. You;ll get there and have a miserable vacation because you're spending all this money for what? You could spend the nights in Anguilla where it's a much prettier island and have better service for the price you pay at Esmeralda.
Orient Beach has really grown up since the last hurricane that destroyed the island. It's to a point now that Orient is overcrowded, especially during high season. There are so many chairs and people around that it's not a very pretty beach which explains why you see so much seaweed on the beaches. Simply no time to clean it up.
The Esmeralda offers a kitchenette where you can cook some of your own meals. You have a mini fridge, small cooktop, and range in the room so you could cook virtually anything you needed. Especially for breakfast, this is handy.
The Esmeralda is hooked up with Coco Beach Bar which offers very good breakfast, lunches, and drinks. You're dealing with Euro prices, and they do not do a $1 for 1 euro like many restaurants do so you may want to limit the amount you're spending there.
I wish I could say some nicer things about the Esmeralda and the island itself, but I simply can't. Once you spend 2 hours in line trying to get your ticket to fly home on American, you get to the point of saying )#(*$ this island. I'm going somewhere where it's easier to get to and not so trashy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ESMERALDA RESORT, situated on the magnificent white sands of Orient Bay in French St. Martin offers just 65 rooms and suites spread among elegant tropical gardens in 17 villas. Esmeralda is the only four star hotel in St Martin on Orient Beach.Esmeralda's Coco Beach Bar offers beachfront lunch & cocktails. L'Astrolabe, the resort's fine dining restaurant offers French Creole and Continental cuisine. Guests receive dining privileges at 12 + restaurants in Orient Bay. Only minutes to more fine dining,shopping and entertainment. Rooms include a kitchenette, king bed, sitting area and patio. What makes this property so special is it's unique plantation style layout with only four rooms or suites per villa. For privacy, each villa has its own swimming pool and each accommodation has its own private entrance and terrace... Guests may reserve anything from a single superior or deluxe room or a generous sized suite or an entire 3 - 5 bedroom villa. Due to the way this resort in St Martin is situated on the property that is perpendicular to the beach there is limited availability in the two ocean front villas that include the Presidential Suites and deluxe oceanfront rooms. All superior and deluxe rooms include kitchenettes. Suites offer full kitchens and large living rooms. Guests enjoy the peaceful surroundings and a cordial, pampering yet unobtrusive on-site multi-lingual staff prepared to assist with any special needs. Esmeralda offers free use of beach chairs & umbrellas. Each accommodation has a fully equipped kitchenette (suites have fully equipped kitchens including dishwasher), large tile bath with hair dryer plus a 110 outlet for shavers only, color satellite TV, room safe, air conditioning with ceiling fan, daily maid service. All bedrooms have Color TV by satellite (8 channels and video system), telephone, private safe, A/C, ceiling fan, private, furnished terrace, kitchenette with micro wave, electric coffee pot, refrigerator and dishes. SUPERIOR, DELUXE AND OCEANFRONT ROOMS: King or two double beds, kitchenette. Maximum occupancy: 2 people. Superior rooms have garden view and are generally located further from the beach. Deluxe rooms are a bit larger located nearer the pool. Oceanfront rooms are located nearest the beach. SUPERIOR SUITES: Spacious living room and bedroom area with king size four poster bed and full size pull-out sofa bed plus a fully equipped kitchen. Maximum occupancy: 2 adults & 2 children. PRESIDENTIAL SUITES: Large dining and living room area with full size sofa bed, separate master bedroom with king size colonial bed, TV in living room and master bedroom, 1 1/2 baths, radio/cassette/CD player and fully equipped kitchen. Suite is oceanfront. Maximum occupancy: 4 people. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, West Indies, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, TravelUp, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Esmeralda Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Esmeralda Hotel Orient Bay
- Esmeralda Hotel Marigot
- Esmeralda Resort Marigot
- Esmeralda St Martin
- Esmeralda Resort St Martin
- Renaisance Esmeralda Resort