“Too bad the hotel is on St. Maarten”
Review of Esmeralda Resort

Esmeralda Resort
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Orient Bay
“Too bad the hotel is on St. Maarten”
Reviewed January 16, 2006

I've read some of the reviews of this hotel and I would say people have points that are valid, and others that are just too picky. Hopefully this review will set the record straight.
This hotel is conveniently located within 300 feet of Orient Beach, one of the more well known beaches in the Caribbean....mostly due to the clothing optional possibilities.
We've been going to SXM and staying at Esmeralda for the past 10 years. We used to love going to this island, but we've probably made our last visit. Not because anything Esmeralda has done, but just the absolute filth, trashiness, and overpopulation of SXM itself.
The Esmeralda is owned by the Concord Hotel chain along with the Alamanda. It is an older resort that has made some moves to update its furniture, but it's not a Four Seasons or Ritz, even if they charge it sometimes.
There's absolutely no reason that I would pay more than $300/ night for this hotel even in high season. It's simply not worth it and you'll be disappointed. You;ll get there and have a miserable vacation because you're spending all this money for what? You could spend the nights in Anguilla where it's a much prettier island and have better service for the price you pay at Esmeralda.

Orient Beach has really grown up since the last hurricane that destroyed the island. It's to a point now that Orient is overcrowded, especially during high season. There are so many chairs and people around that it's not a very pretty beach which explains why you see so much seaweed on the beaches. Simply no time to clean it up.

The Esmeralda offers a kitchenette where you can cook some of your own meals. You have a mini fridge, small cooktop, and range in the room so you could cook virtually anything you needed. Especially for breakfast, this is handy.

The Esmeralda is hooked up with Coco Beach Bar which offers very good breakfast, lunches, and drinks. You're dealing with Euro prices, and they do not do a $1 for 1 euro like many restaurants do so you may want to limit the amount you're spending there.

I wish I could say some nicer things about the Esmeralda and the island itself, but I simply can't. Once you spend 2 hours in line trying to get your ticket to fly home on American, you get to the point of saying )#(*$ this island. I'm going somewhere where it's easier to get to and not so trashy.

• Stayed January 2006
22 Thank defore4735

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Korean first
Reviewed December 11, 2005

My finance and I were vacationing in St Barth's and were flying out of St Martin. We decided to stay two nights in St Martin because we wanted to stay on Orient Beach (we had heard so much about it in travel books). I looked through my Fodor's 2005 book and picked the hotel based on the review written and a look at the website.

I called when we got to Phillipsburg to get transportaion to the hotel, and they told me that I had to arrange that myself. We arrived at the hotel, checked in (the front desk clerk that night was wonderful) and then went to our room. We were quite dissapointed with the room. The beds were made up with scratchy cheap linens and bed spread, the bathroom was small and the room itself was very sparse.
We arrived at the hotel late, so went to dinner at the hotel restaurant. The food was so so, but the service was excellent. They had "live music" that night by two men who were obviously trying to revive the horrid 70's music of one hit wonders. The other guests at the hotel were much older then us, therefore really liked the music and were up dancing and having fun. That was nice to see but again, not what I expected.

If you are an older couple and travelling as a group, this place could be for you. But if you are younger, or on your honeymoon-cross this one off your list. All night we could hear the room next to us, coughing, watching TV etc. Not very romantic, and hard to be romantic with the thin as paper walls.

The beach was okay at best, there are many better ones on the island. The beach chairs were very comfy though so that was a plus.

All in all, the fact that they got a series of awards for hospitality 10 years ago, shows throughout the hotel and the lack of improvement in what seems like 10 years really sets this resort back.

• Stayed December 2005
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Maryland
Reviewed August 14, 2005

My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Esmeralda Resort. This is not a super luxury place, but you don't pay super luxury prices. It is located adjacent to Orient Beach, the beach being no more than a three minute stroll from any of the resort villas. The resort consists of 18 villas set in a beautifully landscaped garden. Each villa contains four living units, and each villa has its own swimming pool. Each living unit includes a private porch facing the pool, a small kitchenette facility completely suitable for preparing breakfast and lunch but probably not suitable for preparing dinner (no oven or microwave). (Why would you want to fix dinner in your room any way with Grand Case, the culinary capital of the Caribbean, just five miles away?) The beds are comfortable, and the bathrooms clean, bright and perfectly adequate. As noted, not a super luxury accomodation, but for our seven nights at Esmeralda in July, 2005, we paid about $1,200. Over and above the living units, however, this resort has two hallmarks which separate it from the rest of the hostelries on St. Martin. First are the private swimming pools. Many of the pools are quite private, due to the lush landscaping. After a day on the beach, whether Orient Beach or one of St. Martin's many other beaches, or after a day shopping in Marigot or Phillipsburg, it is such a pleasure to return to your own pool and enjoy a beer or cocktail in the pool or lying on one of the chaises alongside. It should also be noted that the resort management is very comfortable with nude use of the pools, so long as none of the other guests in the villa complain. When we were at Esmeralda in July, all of the guests staying in our villa enjoyed nude use of our pool, and through my conversations with others staying at the resort at the same time, no one seemed to have a problem with nudity in the other resort pools. The second hallmark of the resort is its location at the northern end of Orient Beach. To the south of Esmeralda, Orient Beach gets very crowded and looks a little like Coney Island on a hot summer day. By contrast, the part of Orient Beach which adjoins the Esmeralda Resort is quiet and subdued, is beautifully maintained (no ocean debris) and features a lovely, shady little beach restaurant ("Cocos") which serves drinks, salads, pizzas and more sophisticated french cuisine all day long. The Esmeralda beach has a clothed section and a clothing optional section, so that those who are so disposed can sunbathe and swim au naturel. While we were at Esmeralda, about two-thirds of the resort's guests seemed to opt for the clothing optional side. We heard no complaints about the resort from any of the guests that we spoke to and indeed heard several other couples vowing to return to Esmeralda for their next vacation.

• Stayed July 2005
31 Thank CAnC
travelsavvygal
Reviewed August 9, 2005

The Esmeralda ranks among the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. I booked a five night stay-- part of our honeymoon- through Orbitz. When we got to the hotel, they had given us to a room that had two single beds pushed together. I explained I had booked a king sized bed- this is our honeymoon!- and the receptionist on duty gave us keys to another room.

Once in the new room, I was appalled. The sheets on the bed were literally threadbare- I could see through them. There were holes in the curtains, and the toilet brush had been thrown on the bathroom floor, with clumpy bits of paper still stuck on it. The kitchenette was barely equipped. When we woke up the next morning, the bathtub was covered in hundreds of bugs.

When we complained to the receptionist on duty, I did not receive the response and action that I would have expected from a 4 star hotel. I was told that if I wasn't happy with the quality of my room, it was because I had received a "discounted" rate through Orbitz, so I got a "discounted" room.

After a lot of arguing, we were upgraded to a better room. I still feel it was shabby and poor equipped and felt the service to be inadequate. I was also disappointed that the hotel did not do anything special for us given that it was our honeymoon (not even a 'congratulations' note). Overall this hotel is very, very over-rated and my experience there was disappointing.

We had spent the first part of our honeymoon at the L'Esplanade in Grand Case which was far less expensive, but miles ahead of the Esmeralda in terms of service and quality.

Stayed July 2005
25 Thank travelsavvygal
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed August 9, 2005

My Husband booked a ten day stay at the Esmeralda resort as a surprise honeymoon. I could not have been more pleased with his choice. The bungalows allowed privacy when we wanted it and the 3 minute stroll to the beach allowed us to be in the heart of the action when we wished. The room was spacious and well appointed a comfortable bed and large closet with shelves and a dresser easily held everything two clotheshorses needed for 14 days away from home. The kitchenette was very convenient for breakfasts and snacks. Housekeeping was efficient and pleasant keeping us well stocked with fresh towels. The staff at Esmerelda were very friendly and we felt secure our entire stay, within the first night the security at the front gate knew our car and us on sight.

• Stayed May 2005
13 Thank jujubeez
Reviewed July 12, 2005

Great accomodations right on the beach. Private pools at each villa.
Friendly Staff and great location on Orient Beach. Will definitely be back next year.

• Stayed July 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 11, 2005

My husband and I stayed at Esmerada for our last 3 or 4 vacations. Most everyone who works there is very professional except for the manager, Claudie something or other. She was very rude to us and also to anyone else we saw her talking to. The last time we stayed the rooms weren't as well kept as in previous years. The airconditioning wasn't working correctly and the room was shabby in appearence. We left there in the middle of our vacation because of a problem with our room that Claudie refused to correct and because of the rude manner in which we were treated, will never return. As it turned out, the new place we found through word of mouth, L'Esplanade, was soooooooo much nicer and cleaner. Since we stay almost 8 weeks, I personally think that some considerations need to be made and L'Esplanade certainly made them for us, but that is for another review.....one that is much better than this one!

• Stayed July 2004
#5 of 8 in Orient Bay
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel

Been to Esmeralda Resort? Share your experiences!