My wife and I stayed on the week of June 16, 2005 for 4 nights at the Esmeralda Resort. We have been St. Martin travelers for quite a few times and I have to say Esmeralda is great.
First, the location can´t be beaten. Its right on Orient Beach, and that is like the SoBe for those Miami readers. The beach is beautiful, lots of place to lay down, no one bothering, great beach bars to drink/eat, and best of all the freedom to walk around naked among the rest and no one gawking or harrasing!! Dont worry about physical fitness...all shapes and sizes blend in perfectly.
Esmeralda rooms are large, comfortable and well equipped. Air conditioniong is excellent -and believe me I come from the tropics- Kitchenette helps save some Euro$. The atmosphere is quiet, so if you are looking for a lot of walking distance nite life go elsewhere.
The way the resort is arranged makes it very nice and you can have your car parked right in front of the villa, so there are no worries. Guards walk around and after dark a guard keeps the entrance to the resort fairly safe.
Ok, the food...well I agree with the fellow traveler, avoid L' Astrolabe. Its really expensive, uncomfortably hot dining room and the food is not up to the prices they charge. If you want to save some bucks, there are a lot of cheap restaurants in the Dutch side. Stop by the grocery (Supermarche) on the way to hotel and stock up water and snacks. For fine food, the place is Grand Case. Expensive and they dont have any air conditioning but the food is good and a fine dining experience. I personally recommend Spiga. It is located on the starting point of the Grand Case restaurant row, not waterfront, but very nice Italian food. The chef/owner comes from Savoy at London, so you get the idea. Nevertheless, expect a $120.00 check for a two person dinner including only one glass of house wine per person. The service is very attentive though, and that is quite a lot to say for the french side.
The island is an all around vacation spot so we recommend it strongly if you are planning a trip to any Caribbean island.
Do rent a car, its cheap and there are a lot of concessionaires right on the doors of the airport, so no reservations are really needed. Dont expect taxis around and if at all, are very expensive. For the cost of a day rent of a car you can only pay for one trip in a taxi. Roads are well posted and easy to drive.
Enjoy the trip!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ESMERALDA RESORT, situated on the magnificent white sands of Orient Bay in French St. Martin offers just 65 rooms and suites spread among elegant tropical gardens in 17 villas. Esmeralda is the only four star hotel in St Martin on Orient Beach.Esmeralda's Coco Beach Bar offers beachfront lunch & cocktails. L'Astrolabe, the resort's fine dining restaurant offers French Creole and Continental cuisine. Guests receive dining privileges at 12 + restaurants in Orient Bay. Only minutes to more fine dining,shopping and entertainment. Rooms include a kitchenette, king bed, sitting area and patio. What makes this property so special is it's unique plantation style layout with only four rooms or suites per villa. For privacy, each villa has its own swimming pool and each accommodation has its own private entrance and terrace... Guests may reserve anything from a single superior or deluxe room or a generous sized suite or an entire 3 - 5 bedroom villa. Due to the way this resort in St Martin is situated on the property that is perpendicular to the beach there is limited availability in the two ocean front villas that include the Presidential Suites and deluxe oceanfront rooms. All superior and deluxe rooms include kitchenettes. Suites offer full kitchens and large living rooms. Guests enjoy the peaceful surroundings and a cordial, pampering yet unobtrusive on-site multi-lingual staff prepared to assist with any special needs. Esmeralda offers free use of beach chairs & umbrellas. Each accommodation has a fully equipped kitchenette (suites have fully equipped kitchens including dishwasher), large tile bath with hair dryer plus a 110 outlet for shavers only, color satellite TV, room safe, air conditioning with ceiling fan, daily maid service. All bedrooms have Color TV by satellite (8 channels and video system), telephone, private safe, A/C, ceiling fan, private, furnished terrace, kitchenette with micro wave, electric coffee pot, refrigerator and dishes. SUPERIOR, DELUXE AND OCEANFRONT ROOMS: King or two double beds, kitchenette. Maximum occupancy: 2 people. Superior rooms have garden view and are generally located further from the beach. Deluxe rooms are a bit larger located nearer the pool. Oceanfront rooms are located nearest the beach. SUPERIOR SUITES: Spacious living room and bedroom area with king size four poster bed and full size pull-out sofa bed plus a fully equipped kitchen. Maximum occupancy: 2 adults & 2 children. PRESIDENTIAL SUITES: Large dining and living room area with full size sofa bed, separate master bedroom with king size colonial bed, TV in living room and master bedroom, 1 1/2 baths, radio/cassette/CD player and fully equipped kitchen. Suite is oceanfront. Maximum occupancy: 4 people. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Esmeralda Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Esmeralda Hotel Orient Bay
- Esmeralda Hotel Marigot
- Esmeralda Resort Marigot
- Esmeralda St Martin
- Esmeralda Resort St Martin
- Renaisance Esmeralda Resort