Esmeralda Resort
Hotel La Plantation(Orient Bay)(Great Value!)
$162
$156
  • Breakfast included
Princess Heights Hotel(Oyster Pond)(Great Value!)
$130
Hotels.com
All reviewscoco beach barprivate poolastrolabe restaurantgrand caseorient beachbeach boysindividual poolsst martincroissantssuperior roomcontinental breakfastmain restaurantonsite restaurantthe air conditioninglaid backcloser to the beachate there twice
Reviewed January 22, 2014

My extended family (age range: 8 to 60s) spent Thanksgiving week at the Esmeralda, and we had a very good experience. We were in their "superior rooms", which are the least expensive. The rooms were large and clean. We enjoyed having our own pool at our villa. The staff at L'Astrolabe was very nice and friendly and we enjoyed our two dinners there. We also ate breakfast there every morning -- a nice continental breakfast is included. It's just a short walk through the resort to the beach and the staff at the beachside restaurant was also very accommodating; our waiter would ask if we would like the same chairs the next day and he'd have them reserved for us. Since we were there right before the high season rates started, we thought we got a good value for our money. We would return!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank ckd123
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed for three nights about two weeks ago and had a wonderful time. The room was spacious, simple, clean and well equipped. The bathroom had one of the biggest showers I have seen and a fantastic shower-head providing an exhilarating shower. I thought the grounds were well maintained and spacious. An amazing beach. Service at the Reception was variable, to say the least. Free wi-fi in Reception, but $10.00 per day if you have it in the room. Having arrived at the resort very late on my first night, it was clear that all the restaurants had closed at 10.30pm and the snacks kept at Reception were minimal. I went hungry that night! I have read a couple of complaints about cats. There were two around the resort. They were affectionate and no problem for me as I love cats. Would definitely come back back for another stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Andrew H
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I stayed at this property for three nights last week. Upon check out, my family was presented with the bill. It had a charge for a mysterious ninety dollars on it that the staff could not explain. It was removed but that leaves a bad taste. Although the rooms were nice the grounds were not impressive, with old dried up grass covering many areas. The continental breakfast was nice, and served in a nice setting, but the French woman who sits you was unpleasant. Every request we made turned into a big deal. On the contrary, Paula, from Venezuela was extremely nice and friendly. The hotel represents that you can use their card to charge from many nearby restaurants to your room, but this was not true. At least one restaurant, La Playa, did not honor the card. Finally, if you have dinner at the hotel restaurant, where you will pay about 100 bucks a head, be prepared to be besieged by cats that roam the area. not cool for fine dining. There is no fitness center. The location is excellent

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank akazin
Reviewed January 14, 2014

My husband and I and our adult son all enjoyed falling asleep to the sound of the surf. Our room was clean and comfortable. It was great having the pool right outside our door as a change of pace from the beach.The lush tropical breakfast setting was one of my favorite things. And of course the croissants were outstanding.I felt that there could have been more choices at the buffet i.e. cheeses, apples, bananas, slices of meat.We had a lovely dinner one night at the Astrolabe restaurant with live music.

The Esmeralda is in a good location..easy access to the beach, close to restaurants and great places for walking.

We have stayed at many other places in St. Martin...condos and hotels. I definitely would recommend Esmeralda.

There were 2 things that were annoying. 1. CATS - There were cats hanging around..both at the Astrolabe restaurant and our porch. My husband is allergic to cats and was irritated by them. We would shoo them away, only to have them return. 2. BILL OVERCHARGE - When my husband went to pay our final bill there was a charge for a fax on our bill. We never faxed or received a fax. The person at the desk apologized and immediately took it off the bill.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Susan K
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We love most things about the Esmeralda (and Orient Beach) and we've returned several times. The Astrolabe is an outstanding restaurant with a fabulous staff for dinner, and the Coco Beach restaurant is terrific as well. The continental breakfast is ok--nothing to write home about--and the staff begins shutting down the breakfast by 10:15 (though they technically serve till 10:30).The desk staff in the hotel lobby vary in their interpersonal skills and service attitude, but overall we always feel welcomed and satisfied, especially by Leo and Audrey. Our room was spacious but plain. I enjoyed using the pool outside our room although it's pretty tiny.The housekeeping staff is friendly and efficient. The beach is the most beautiful on the island and the service there is wonderful. Beware of the car rental guy!! He does his best to overcharge. We have finally learned how to deal with him, but do take a firm hand to get the car and price you want. I have offered a few small dissatisfactions, but the fact that we keep returning means we feel relaxed, indulged and happy at this resort.and always look forward to the next time.

Room Tip: WE have stayed in various rooms and enjoyed them all. Even the ones farther from the beach are close enough.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple