We just returned from French St. Martin (we prefer the French side...Dutch side too commercial). We stayed at a hotel that was new for us, Esmeralda on Orient Beach. We had been staying at another property down the road for almost 20 years. We left that other property because the property was deteriorating year by year.
However, we would always run by and through Esmeralda, and it always looked great. I contacted the property directly, and mentioned that we wished to make a change and why.
We stayed ar Esmeralda from Sunday, Feb. 24 through Sunday, March 3.
I requested a competitive rate, the possibility of a free upgrade, and a room as close to the sea as possible. The rate was ever so slightly higher than the other property, but I felt it was close enough to give Esmeralda a try.
When we checked in, we were greeted at reception by Leo...what an asset to the property. We were also extremely pleased that we were given a free upgrade to a suite, and within short walking distance to the water.
This suite had a full kitchen (we never cooked, though) with large refrigerator, stove, microwave, double sink, etc. We also had a full living area open to the bedroom, large bathroom with a separate room for the toilet. Each set of units has a pool, and parking close to your room.
The only downside was that we only received 2 packets of coffee, one decaf, upon arrival. I can't complain because of the free upgrade, but it would have been nice to have coffee available in the room. I am a runner, and both my wife and I like coffee before we work out. I was willing to go to the breakfast area, but the coffee would not be ready until just before I was beginning my run...too late for the caffeine to take effect.
Free WiFi is available at the reception area, or you can pay to have it in your room...$40 for the week. We chose the latter. $5-$6 a day is not a bad rate to be able to stay in your room and connect any time, day or night. Hopefully free WiFi will be made available at all hotels in the near future.
Overall, the quality was outstanding. We plan on returning, either this summer, or definitely next year at this time. Hopefully we will once again be upgraded, with a room close to the sea.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ESMERALDA RESORT, situated on the magnificent white sands of Orient Bay in French St. Martin offers just 65 rooms and suites spread among elegant tropical gardens in 17 villas. Esmeralda is the only four star hotel in St Martin on Orient Beach.Esmeralda's Coco Beach Bar offers beachfront lunch & cocktails. L'Astrolabe, the resort's fine dining restaurant offers French Creole and Continental cuisine. Guests receive dining privileges at 12 + restaurants in Orient Bay. Only minutes to more fine dining,shopping and entertainment. Rooms include a kitchenette, king bed, sitting area and patio. What makes this property so special is it's unique plantation style layout with only four rooms or suites per villa. For privacy, each villa has its own swimming pool and each accommodation has its own private entrance and terrace... Guests may reserve anything from a single superior or deluxe room or a generous sized suite or an entire 3 - 5 bedroom villa. Due to the way this resort in St Martin is situated on the property that is perpendicular to the beach there is limited availability in the two ocean front villas that include the Presidential Suites and deluxe oceanfront rooms. All superior and deluxe rooms include kitchenettes. Suites offer full kitchens and large living rooms. Guests enjoy the peaceful surroundings and a cordial, pampering yet unobtrusive on-site multi-lingual staff prepared to assist with any special needs. Esmeralda offers free use of beach chairs & umbrellas. Each accommodation has a fully equipped kitchenette (suites have fully equipped kitchens including dishwasher), large tile bath with hair dryer plus a 110 outlet for shavers only, color satellite TV, room safe, air conditioning with ceiling fan, daily maid service. All bedrooms have Color TV by satellite (8 channels and video system), telephone, private safe, A/C, ceiling fan, private, furnished terrace, kitchenette with micro wave, electric coffee pot, refrigerator and dishes. SUPERIOR, DELUXE AND OCEANFRONT ROOMS: King or two double beds, kitchenette. Maximum occupancy: 2 people. Superior rooms have garden view and are generally located further from the beach. Deluxe rooms are a bit larger located nearer the pool. Oceanfront rooms are located nearest the beach. SUPERIOR SUITES: Spacious living room and bedroom area with king size four poster bed and full size pull-out sofa bed plus a fully equipped kitchen. Maximum occupancy: 2 adults & 2 children. PRESIDENTIAL SUITES: Large dining and living room area with full size sofa bed, separate master bedroom with king size colonial bed, TV in living room and master bedroom, 1 1/2 baths, radio/cassette/CD player and fully equipped kitchen. Suite is oceanfront. Maximum occupancy: 4 people. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, West Indies, TravelUp, Priceline, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Hotwire and getaroom.com so you can book your Esmeralda Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Esmeralda Hotel Orient Bay
- Esmeralda Hotel Marigot
- Esmeralda Resort Marigot
- Esmeralda St Martin
- Esmeralda Resort St Martin
- Renaisance Esmeralda Resort