Esmeralda Resort
Hotel La Plantation(Orient Bay)(Great Value!)
$169
$163
  • Breakfast included
Club Orient Resort(Orient Bay)
Palm Court Hotel(Orient Bay)
Alamanda Resort(Orient Bay)
  • Breakfast included
Privilege Resort(Anse Marcel)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewscoco beach barprivate poolastrolabe restaurantgrand caseorient beachbeach boysindividual poolsst martincroissantssuperior roomcontinental breakfastmain restaurantonsite restaurantthe air conditioninglaid backcloser to the beachate there twice
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I often read with interest the reviews/experiences of other travelers. Having recently returned from an amazing one week stay at "Esmeralda", I thought that I would offer a few personal observations about this property. I should first preface my review with a few comments about the writer. My wife and I are seasoned (sounded better than mature or old) travelers. We travel 5 or 6 times a year - and can be critical.
We had been to St Martin (Orient Bay) once previously, but this was our first stay at "Esmeralda". We really enjoyed the layout of our "villa" or pod. While we didn't use the small pool, it seemed that this common amenity to the 4 units (Bldg 55) was a catalyst to our meeting guests in the adjoining units. And we spent exceptional evenings becomming acquainted, and exchanging stories over a glass or two. And I think that the courtyards are exceptionally well kept.
The cleanliness of our room was acceptable. Some minor repairs are needed (screen door), but it is peak season. Sometimes it is small things which make for a more comfortable stay. In our case it was the rain shower systems.
We found the Esmeralda staff (cleaning, groundskeepers, lobby) to be engaging and helpful. Of particular note was the assistance we got from the "concierge". In a word, she is terrific!
Overall, the weather was pleasant, but there were a few showers, so the proximity of the hotel to (Co Co) beach is a real benefit. And our beach walks at sunrise were a highlight.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank 14Alpha
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Very nice, luxurious, clean villas, each 4 with their own pool; 100 yards from the beach with the greatest beach bar. Restaurant can get overwhelmed and is generally not the best bet since there are so many others around. Service is very friendly and helpful, some things don't work just like they would in the US but overall we had a wonderful experience and are looking to go back again, and stay at Esmeralda!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank rada i
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We have been coming here for over 15 years. The 2.5M renovation 1.5 years ago was badly needed and much appreciated. The location,intimacy,restaurants,rooms and beach can't be matched anywhere. The only suggestions to raise it to a 5 star resort are simple and achievable . Requests for dinner reservations at the front desk will not be made until the afternoon of the day requested,no matter how long in advance they are requested. This requires multiple trips to the desk to check if they were made. I've had this problem for the last 2 years. Communication needs to increase between hotel and guests regarding use of electronics and availability of services in the room. Leo was great in showing me how to use the new cable system-using one controller for volume and on/off, and the other for stations. However, my neighbor never received the same instruction. I had to go over to show him.Wifi is available free at reception,but I didn't find out it was available in the room for a fee, until I was here for a week and asked. The A/C system is great,but not used much in the US. Guests need instruction on how to use the controller. All these instructions could be printed and available in the room upon check in.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jeff49085
USAsalesoffice, Director of Sales at Esmeralda Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Jeff: As director of the Esmeralda USA sales office here in Florida, we do follow our reviews diligently and take our customer comments seriously as we are always striving to improve services.

First of all, we all appreciate your loyalty to Esmeralda, are pleased that our recent renovations have been noticed and you consider Esmeralda to be one of the top couples resorts.

Your comments about putting instruction literature in the rooms is a great one and i will work with management to see how soon we can get this implemented.

Thank you again.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband I have been going to St Martin for 12yrs twice a year! We have been staying at Esmeralda for the last ten years! We have seen a lot of changes over the years.. Up until this last year it was steadily declining or run down! The new well needed renovations and price, location is what will bring us back this next spring! The staff is very friendly but can be take awhile to get something done but that's coming from a very type A American!
You can not beat the location to the beach!!! Coco is one of the best beach restaurants on the beach! It's location as well is excellent! It's just a short walk to the beach from the resort. The semi private pools are so nice to just chill by after a day at the beach. The best value in Baie Orientale we have found for as long as we have been going and the great location you can't beat!

Room Tip: The nicest villas are close to the main office!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
USAsalesoffice, Director of Sales at Esmeralda Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Thank you Ruth. It is nice to hear the opinion of such a long time fan of the Esmeralda Resort. We are glad that you appreciate the renovations we have done to our property (just in time) so we can look forward to hosting you again this spring... and for years to come.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We just returned from St. Martin. Loved the island and the food, but our room at this hotel had an adjoining room (I believe most or all of them do), common in hotels, but in this one, there seems to be less than zero sound proofing between the adjoining doors. When we crashed after or 15 hour airline ride, my wife says "what's that noise". It was our next door neighbor snoring. It was so loud I had to use ear plugs to sleep. The next day when our neighbors were talking quietly, we could still hear every word they said. Imagine trying to do something fun in private. When we complained, the desk said there was nothing they could do.
I wouldn't stay here again if they paid me.
The one star is for a nice shower.

Room Tip: don't get a room with an adjoining room
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank sleepdoctor

Dear Sleep Doctor:
We are sorry we did not live up to your expectations on your recent visit to our property. I did question management about your issues. I have been advised that there was indeed a noisy couple staying in the adjoining room. If I am not mistaken, they also had a baby. I hope you at least enjoyed all the other great features such as our location on Orient Bay and our fine restaurants in addition to our rain showers.