“Renovations-where are they?”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Orient Bay
Minnetonka, Minnesota, United States
“Renovations-where are they?”
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We just returned from a 7 day/night stay at the Esmeralda Resort and have a few complaints as well. First off replacing doors does not constitute a complete renovation. Yes the toilet and shower head were new but that was about all the renovation unit 484 had. We also had stained and dirty linens, towels that were not replaced daily and the same old tile on the floors as was there the past 7 years when we first visited. Even the drapes on the unit were the same dirty ones as they were 7 years ago. The free breakfast at L' Astrolobe in the morning was skimpy but the pastries (french bread toasted and the croissants) were excellent. Anything beyond that and the mixed cereal in the glass jar were extra. As far as the beach boy Ty goes, as long as I tipped him $10.00 a day, he was pleasant and made sure we were taken care of with beverages and food on the beach. We spent a lot of time on Cocoa Beach and spent a fortune in food and beverages too. I would think this would have made anyone happy even without a tip. Esmeralda staff and management should not mislead their customers on a complete renovation advertisement when little more than the bare minimum was done at the resort. One good thing is that they finally replaced the air conditioners in each unit so at least those worked well and cooled our unit. There needs to be screens on the french doors so that the cats and dogs do not come in. The cats and dogs that live there are fun to feed but do pose a problem when people who have fed them leave. Fortunately, they are part of the charm that is left on the Esmeralda Resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a room or unit that is completely renovated- not one they are just starting on. I would hop...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Wendy S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Korean first
Highland Village, Texas
Reviewed May 21, 2012

First, look at the photos I attached, they back up they following: There is no excuse for stained sheets, stained blanket, old, old, old, did I say old sunken-in mattress, black hair on the walls and floor, and 1960's pink and orange decor, with broken mis-matched furniture. We have traveled the caribbean and lived in the USVI for almost two years so we have a good feel for the caribbean standard. But what gets me is how do you go to what is called a 4 star resort, who lists the room price at $400 USD per night and then get a room like we did? Help Hotel Impossible! Ok so the room was old, but that is no excuse for not being clean and why would any pay even $50 for this treatment. How much can it cost to put in modern drapes, bedspread, and a blanked and sheets that are not stained? That is all it would take until the proverbial "hotel remodel." Had the sheets been stain free, updated simple decor, this would be a much better review. This property should be ashamed to allow anyone to stay in rooms such as these. And yes, management really did not care. So at the end of the day management can respond and say they are in the process of remoldeling (their advertizing said they already remodeled), but the fact that they consider this room presentable simply says this resort is way below standards. Further, we booked the room through American Express Travel who will now think twice about booking at this resort after being told it was remodeled.

Positive points: This is on Orient Beach and is considered a nice beach and a lot of nudity, so it is popular area. We left our safe open one day and nothing was taken :) No charge for parking. We felt safe in the area even after dark. The grounds are ok.

Other points to consider: No ocean views as it appeared all units are a couple minute walk to the beach. On the Atlantic coast so stronger winds and larger waves. As other reviews stated before us, the French are not friendly so don't expect warm communications. The continental breakfast is very skimpy as they really try to get you to buy a real breakfast.

In sum, book elsewhere because there is no excuse for not spending a few hundred dollars to give guests expecting four star resort this seriously sub-standard room!

Room Tip: A taxi will cost easily $25 USD to go anywhere. We rented a car for 3 days for under $100. See the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank jcanberra
Portsmouth, RI
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We have been to the Esmeralda for seven consecutive years, and have just returned from our 7th visit on 17 April 2012. We stayed for 9 nights, and this year we have been very pleased with their upgrades and renovations. The villas have all been freshly painted inside and out, and the kitchens have been upgraded. The stove top ranges are gone, but they have been replaced with nice microwave ovens. The deck furniture as well as the pool furniture is all new, and the showers have been renovated with new large shower heads. The exterior lighting has been enhanced and the grounds are well lit after dark. The best upgrade was the air conditioning. It was excellent for keeping the temperature, and was a quiet as as any I've seen/heard.
We would recommend the Esmeralda for those that want to stay on Orient Bay. It is a great beach for walking or just lounging, and there are ample restaurants in Orient Village to visit without having to rent a car. We walked the beach every night, and felt very comfortable doing so.
The rooms are clean, and the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. We really don't need much, but they were/are attentive when you ask for anything. They have a car rental agent on the property as well as a concerige on site during the day to help with local information. The Esmeralda has a nice little book exchange - leave one, take one. I usually take one or two books, and have ample to chose from when I finish the ones I take along.
Bottom line; it was and is a great place to stay. We had no problems, and will definitely return...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Claude419
Boston, MA
Reviewed April 11, 2012

My husband and I stayed at The Esmeralda Resort a few weeks ago and really liked the property. We began our trip by staying on the very busy Dutch side for a few days and then went off on a cruise. By the time we arrived at Esmeralda we were craving a quiet, relaxing resort - which is exactly what we found.

Our room was nice and big with an efficiency kitchen (that no one seems to use - we didn't either) and new furnishings. This is not a new property, but it has been nicely updated. There are a few tell-tale signs of the older property (a cracked tile here or there) but our room was bright, clean and comfortable. We especially liked having a private pool right outside our door. The resort is comprised of one story villas (that house 3 guest rooms) and share a private pool. It's great not having to take an elevator to your room and activities, and no thumping of other guests over your head - just slide open the patio door and step out to the terrace and pool. Just a short walk down the hillside path is Orient Beach with all the beach-party atmosphere you could hope for.

One of the advantages of staying at Esmeralda is it's affiliation with the Coco Beach Club on Orient Beach. You get the use of 2 lounge chairs, an umbrella and beach towels, free of charge. (Yes, a tip for the beach boy is expected.) We enjoyed eating at the Coco Beach Cafe, perched right on the beach, toes in the sand, and great people watching. Pizza and beer was a great inexpensive choice. You can also use your room card to charge food and beverages at several beach clubs along the bay. We took along a backpack, bought a bucket of beer (san the bucket) 6 bottles for $10 at a cafe down the beach and took them back to the room (equipped with refrigerator) and enjoyed them by our own quiet pool. Breakfast was ok - loved the croissants. We had a nice dinner at L'Astrolabe -again quiet and relaxed. There was nice easy-jazz entertainment Saturday evening.

After reading some of the last reviews, I have to put my two cents in about the service expectations at French destinations. Whether visiting France or a French island, I never expect a warm and gregarious encounter. I find the French to be private and reserved, but nice enough if you start out with a smiling Bonjour or Bonsoir. We didn't encounter any issues with the staff while staying at Esmeralda, but then again, we didn't ask for much assistance.

For more info, here is a link to my full trip report for the Esmeralda Resort, complete with pictures: http://www.wickedgoodtraveltips.com/2012/04/esmeralda-resort-st-martin-a-tranquil-beachside-retreat/

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Boston-Travel-Diva
New York, NY
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Visited Esmeralda in Orient Bay, Saint Martin for a 4 night romantic getaway with my girlfriend. Here's the good, the bad, and (unfortunately) the ugly:

The good: Orient Bay is stunning, with beautiful fine sand and clear, warm turquoise water set against a backdrop of green mountains and two small islands offshore. The hotel is located on the less crowded end of the strip, which is a plus. The nearby village of Grand Case is 10 minutes away by car/taxi and has phenomenal French restaurants -- I especially recommend Le Pressoir. We went to Grand Case for dinner for 2 out of our 4 nights.

The bad: Nightlife in Orient Bay is practically non-existent, which I found weird since the entire beach is dotted with beachfront bars and restaurants. They all close by 8:30.

The ugly:
1) Hotel room: The room was dilapidated -- tiles were missing from the floor in the bathroom, shutters were missing from the shutter, the shower ran out of hot water very quickly, electricity was hit or miss. Our "King Size" bed consisted of two double beds that were pushed together. There were some stains on the comforter. All in all, it felt more like a youth-hostel than a $300+ p/night resort accommodation. I was just happy that the roof didn't blow off during a heavy rain and windstorm on our first night.
2) Hotel staff: You don't get the feeling that they are there to ensure you have the time of your life. One desk clerk/concierge couldn't be bothered to pick up the phone to make a dinner reservation for us; another gave me a hard time when I asked for extra towels for the room. These are just basic services that you shouldn't have to worry about.
3) Beach staff: As the prior reviewer mentioned, we were also told in those exact same words that if we wanted a good location for our chairs, that we needed to "take care of the beach boy." It was impolite, tacky, and just not what you expect to hear when you're on vacation. Of course we are going to tip well for good service - no need to set an intimidating precedent.
4) Restaurants: Coco Beach was fine, but pricey. We made a reservation for Friday night's L'Astrolabe "Lobster Party" and when we arrived were told that we had only the worst seats in the house available to choose from, even though there were plenty of poolside tables still available. The restaurant owner eventually let us move per my visible agitation, only to blow my mind like it's never been blown before when it started drizzling and he moved the umbrella that was protecting my girlfriend's head and plate away from her and closer to the adjacent table of "regulars." (He realized his mistake and moved our table under it again after she gasped and asked aloud "Is He Serious???!!!") The food was okay, but nothing compared to what we experienced in Grand Case, and the behavior of the staff and the proprietor was simply obnoxious.

My girlfriend and I had a great vacation enjoying each other's company in a beautiful part of the world; it was just a shame that we had to encounter such impolite and unwelcoming behavior from the hotel, restaurant, and beach staff. It's just not what you expect or are looking for when going on a short -- and luxe-priced -- beach getaway in the Caribbean.

I don't recommend staying at Esmeralda, and if I ever go back to the island, will most likely check out the Dutch side. The French-side is just a bit "tude" heavy. You have been warned!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
13 Thank bronx236
NJ
Reviewed March 5, 2012

First time on St Martin

Room was very dirty. Ants in the bathroom. Curtains stained & dirty Dust balls under the sink floors dirty, white slatted doors looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a year, had to slam the doors to get them to close. Small kitchen area with coffee pot, no coffee, microwave and sink.

When I told the desk manager about the dirty room he said " well we ve been very busy, maybe the maids haven't had time to clean properly! I'll make sure they do a good job tomorrow!"

I asked him how do you explain the ants? I just killed at least 12 of them He said "well thats a little hard to believe. We just had renovations and don't have ant problems!" As if I was making it up!
He couldn't relocate us because the resort was sold out. I found a few ants every day of our stay. And by the way, my legs are covered in bug bites.

The reception area is just basic, nothing special. Staff not very friendly.

We went to the beach and we were told flat out from the beach boy that if we wanted a good location on the beach, we needed to make sure we 'took care' of the beach boy every day.

When we came back at 5 30 to shower. We had no water Called the desk and they said 1 hr. 6:30 still no water At 7pm I called and they said a few more minutes A few more minutes, still no water. So we went to dinner,no shower no brushing our teeth The desk said by the time we re done withdinner the water wil be back We came back 10 30- no water! My husband went to the desk to complain and they tell him we can buy water for $3 a bottle because the water here is not good to drink with anyway ! This is a very common occurance in that area. Are you kidding?? Shouldn't someone have told us that when we got there??

I called the desk and say this is unacceptable at this point 4 hours with no water should be compensated in some way. Maybe they could give the guests who complain 1 bottle of water . NO we cannot do that! I ask why won't you take care of your guests and customers? I was told
"It's not their fault and there is nothing we can do for you."

When I said that we paid good money to come here and this customer service is really unacceptable, I was told, " I know what you paid for your room and you got a good deal ! " Unbelievable! Then he said "Listen to me sweetie ! I said excuse me but please don't call me sweetie...EVER! I'm an angry paying customer & you re calling me sweetie? We will never be back here again to which he replied " listen ma'am,miss whatever you want to be called, there is nothing I can do At that point I ended the phone call with this rude arrogant person. The water came back around 3 AM

I have never dealt with such arrogant,rude, unaccomadating employees anywhere ever! Seriously just wanted to fly home the first night. Would never stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Mstjs
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Just returned from 6 days on the island Stayed at Esmeralda. We stayed in room 393 near the entrance. The room was nice; located close to our pool. Not sure it was worth more than $400. per night. The other 3 units were occupied, but we hardly saw them. We were the only ones to use the pool the entire time. The beach IS a very short walk away as advertised. They have security at the main road entrance in the evenings, but they did not even stop us. I was worried about crime reports but we were carefull and felt safe at all times walking the grounds. We drove to Grand Case for dinner and returnedaround10pm each night with no troubles. We also drove one road north to Boo Boo Jams for dinner and dancing on Sunday. It was a mixed crowd of native St. Maartens and tourists. Everyone was very friendly. The Internet service in the lobby is slow, but works. Our only negative came on Sunday when the water went out for about 8 hours. They said it was everywwhere, but Boo Boo Jam had water. Not a big deal.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
#2 of 3 in Anse Marcel
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Esmeralda Resort? Share your experiences!