Esmeralda Resort
Hotel La Plantation(Orient Bay)(Great Value!)
$170
$164
  • Breakfast included
Club Orient Resort(Orient Bay)
Palm Court Hotel(Orient Bay)
TripAdvisor
Alamanda Resort(Orient Bay)
  • Breakfast included
Privilege Resort(Anse Marcel)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewscoco beach barprivate poolastrolabe restaurantgrand caseorient beachbeach boysindividual poolsst martincroissantssuperior roomcontinental breakfastmain restaurantonsite restaurantthe air conditioninglaid backcloser to the beachate there twice
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 5, 2012

First time on St Martin

Room was very dirty. Ants in the bathroom. Curtains stained & dirty Dust balls under the sink floors dirty, white slatted doors looked like they hadn't been cleaned in a year, had to slam the doors to get them to close. Small kitchen area with coffee pot, no coffee, microwave and sink.

When I told the desk manager about the dirty room he said " well we ve been very busy, maybe the maids haven't had time to clean properly! I'll make sure they do a good job tomorrow!"

I asked him how do you explain the ants? I just killed at least 12 of them He said "well thats a little hard to believe. We just had renovations and don't have ant problems!" As if I was making it up!
He couldn't relocate us because the resort was sold out. I found a few ants every day of our stay. And by the way, my legs are covered in bug bites.

The reception area is just basic, nothing special. Staff not very friendly.

We went to the beach and we were told flat out from the beach boy that if we wanted a good location on the beach, we needed to make sure we 'took care' of the beach boy every day.

When we came back at 5 30 to shower. We had no water Called the desk and they said 1 hr. 6:30 still no water At 7pm I called and they said a few more minutes A few more minutes, still no water. So we went to dinner,no shower no brushing our teeth The desk said by the time we re done withdinner the water wil be back We came back 10 30- no water! My husband went to the desk to complain and they tell him we can buy water for $3 a bottle because the water here is not good to drink with anyway ! This is a very common occurance in that area. Are you kidding?? Shouldn't someone have told us that when we got there??

I called the desk and say this is unacceptable at this point 4 hours with no water should be compensated in some way. Maybe they could give the guests who complain 1 bottle of water . NO we cannot do that! I ask why won't you take care of your guests and customers? I was told
"It's not their fault and there is nothing we can do for you."

When I said that we paid good money to come here and this customer service is really unacceptable, I was told, " I know what you paid for your room and you got a good deal ! " Unbelievable! Then he said "Listen to me sweetie ! I said excuse me but please don't call me sweetie...EVER! I'm an angry paying customer & you re calling me sweetie? We will never be back here again to which he replied " listen ma'am,miss whatever you want to be called, there is nothing I can do At that point I ended the phone call with this rude arrogant person. The water came back around 3 AM

I have never dealt with such arrogant,rude, unaccomadating employees anywhere ever! Seriously just wanted to fly home the first night. Would never stay there again.

11  Thank Mstjs
Reviewed February 28, 2012

Just returned from 6 days on the island Stayed at Esmeralda. We stayed in room 393 near the entrance. The room was nice; located close to our pool. Not sure it was worth more than $400. per night. The other 3 units were occupied, but we hardly saw them. We were the only ones to use the pool the entire time. The beach IS a very short walk away as advertised. They have security at the main road entrance in the evenings, but they did not even stop us. I was worried about crime reports but we were carefull and felt safe at all times walking the grounds. We drove to Grand Case for dinner and returnedaround10pm each night with no troubles. We also drove one road north to Boo Boo Jams for dinner and dancing on Sunday. It was a mixed crowd of native St. Maartens and tourists. Everyone was very friendly. The Internet service in the lobby is slow, but works. Our only negative came on Sunday when the water went out for about 8 hours. They said it was everywwhere, but Boo Boo Jam had water. Not a big deal.

2  Thank Mark O
Reviewed February 26, 2012

I must have stayed at a different Esmeralda. My conclusion is that the place is okay, but not worth the a lot of money and not worth a lot of effort to get there. The rooms are indeed large (but sparely furnished), the pools are excellent (but no depth indicators), the employees try to help (but in French), the grounds are clean (but not more than that), and the beach is nice (but tight packed). The rooms have coffee makers (but no coffee). If you ask at the desk, the answer is there should be some for sale in the “pantry.” If there isn’t, and there wasn’t for a week, you can walk down to the Orient/American Village where you can buy it for twice the local market price.

Then there is the breakfast, which would be below par at a LaQuinta let alone a Drury’s. Every day the same apples and grapes in juice, canned OJ, and coffee, plus a basket of bread with individual jams that may or may not have been used. After three days, you are ready to buy the yoghurt.

The beach is operated by what I assume is an affiliate, since the loud spoken woman who runs the restaurant moves to the beach shop after breakfast. The beach is tight packed indeed. Beach chairs and umbrellas with a couple of feet clearance from one end of Orient Beach to the other. The rate is 15€ but is “included” in the room rate. Its fun to walk up and down the beach to compare the various offers. The beach boys have enough attitude to sink a battleship. The hotel restaurant is closed for lunch so you will probably end up eating on the beach. There are some small meals. A salad is 15€ (but halfs are available), mini pizzas are 8€, the specials usually range from 20€ to 40€. Generally speaking we found Orient Beach prices to be almost double the prices in Philipsburg, Marigot, or Grand Case.

Although the room card says the lobby is staffed 24/7, it really isn’t, its just the security guy in the evenings and early mornings.

Best to get a car before you go stir crazy. A cab to Marigot is $21 and to Pinel $20. Get a car and you can get away and enjoy Philipsburg, Marigot, Pinel, and Grand Case. Watch in the paper how many ships are in port. When it get to 6 or 7 the island goes into gridlock.

If you are on the East Coast and get away for two weeks a year, this place may be ok for one of them. But for my money I would either go upscale to a true luxury resort, or downscale to a spot on a deserted beach. I just thought that after spending a fair amount of money (Parisian prices was one phrase I heard) it was ho-hum.

Room Tip: The closer to the beach the better. Some very large accommodations available.
2  Thank Sausca
Reviewed February 9, 2012

My husband and I (61 yrs) took my parents (87yrs) to the Esmeralda Resort for a week in January 2012. The resort was not a fancy, luxury resort but was an attractive, well laid out resort that suited us well. The restaurant is the Astrolabe and that's where the breakfast was served. Continental breakfast is part of the deal. You could order eggs, pancakes etc at an additional cost. At night you NEED to have reservations - any night. The dinners are pricey but elegantly presented and very good. The drinks are expensive at all the regular restaurants but sometimes cheaper at beach bar/restaurants. There are 65 units put in groups of four - all on ground floor. Each quad had it's on pool - which was wonderful. Nobody else was ever there when our family used it - which we did often! Orient Beach is an easy 10minute walk through the resort - my parents had no difficulty with it. The beach restaurant for Esmeralda is Cocoa and we really enjoyed its amenities. As a guest they provided you with nice lounges and umbrellas, places to sit in the shade, someone to take drink orders and a fun boutique where I probably spent too much money! All along the beach are good restaurants, bars and boutiques. The end of the beach is a nudist area and totally nude people do stay in that area but there are a lot of topless women all over the beach - and other beaches on the island. The grounds were well kept and attractive and always had somebody working on them. The rooms themselves were like hotel rooms. We had king size beds, one soft chair, a table and two straight chairs. The "kitchenette" was the lowest point. There was a sink, cupboards with a meager amount of dishes, a hotel refrigerator and NOTHING to cook on. No microwave, burner etc. There was a decent coffee pot. They do not provide coffee but the bathroom has everything you need. Including a hairdryer. Each unit had a private outside patio with a small table and two chairs which faced the pool and we used a lot. We also had lovely mountain views. I would easily recommend this resort to anyone , families, couples young and old.

Room Tip: Our units were in the 540s and were well placed for everything. They were also adjoining my parents' room - which was very nice. Request a king size bed if you want one.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank kathyincornwall
Reviewed February 6, 2012

Esmeralda was a great experience. The location is perfect...right on the beach. The room was beautiful, bright and very clean. The staff was extremely helpful. The beach is very quiet and away from all the "cruise" crowds.
We had had a bad experience at a nearby hotel and the staff at Esmeralda could not have been more accommodating.
This will be our hotel of choice from now on!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple