“Nice place to stay”

Ranked #1 of 2 Stoford B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Nice place to stay”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This pub/hotel is great. The room was very modern and nicely decorated. The rooms have all the extras of a 5 star hotel. Toiletries in the spotless bathroom, biscuits and flavoured teas, plus all the usual on the tea tray and a very welcoming fan in this hot weather. The breakfast was great and they are more than happy to cook want you want if you don't go for the full English.The staff are very friendly and nothing was to much trouble. There are tables outside the hotel in the garden at the side of the hotel or you can sit in the garden across the road by the river and the staff are happy to serve you there. If passing again would defiantly stay here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 3ohappycouple
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thanks for the fantastic feedback - I am delighted you thought we had 5* attributes and hope to welcome you back soon.

Liz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013

This was a two night KGB deal during one of the hotest parts of the year. The establishment is currently a family run business who have had the property just over 12 months. The room we had was tastefully decorated, with the added touch of a fan in the room.

The breakfast was anything off their standard breakfast menu not necessarily full English! Evening meals were reasonably priced and did not need to be booked in advance, The garden (although across the road) was lovely situated on the edge of the river.

The staff were pleasant and extremely helpful - nohing was too much trouble.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Liz M
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thanks for the great feedback - We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

Montriond, France
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Working in the hotel/restaurant industry my self I find it hard to eat out without being constructive about something until the other day! My partner and I visited the Salisbury area and booked in to the Swan at Stoford. You never get a second chance to make a first impression, and the Swan did not disappoint, we were met with a smile and checked in without delay. Our room was called the gravely and did not disappoint either, the room was immaculately clean, spacious, nicely decorated and comfortable. If this wasn't good enough we were then wowed as we ate in the pub part of the hotel. Our waitress was an American girl who was absolutely delightful, smiley, polite, professional and efficient. She looked after us and brought us delicious food without delay. Overall a great experience, watch out though management as I will be back and will probably try to steel some of your fantastic staff! :) good job, see you again soon.

Room Tip: Grovely was flawless as I'm sure the rest of the rooms are
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thanks for the great feedback, we are glad you enjoyed your visit with us and look forward to welcoming you back (keep your hands off our staff though!).

Liz (Owner)
Warminster
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My husband and I went to the Swan, which is fairly local for us, to meet our friends for a quiet drink and a meal. The Swan often advertises tribute acts which I assume perform there, well, lucky for us (not) that night they had a 70's style totally un PC comedian tribute act disguised as a waiter. Inappropriate and offensive jokes, 'amateur psychology', you name it we got it.. the more we tried to ignore him the more it spurred him on. It totally ruined the night. The food was OK, although my friend has since said that her salmon was cold. I would have happily brought that to the manager's attention at the time had I known, but the waiter had annoyed my friend so much she just wanted to eat and leave. Its a shame, the Swan used to be a nice pub to eat but with such unprofessional staff working there, we wont be returning.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Sam D
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our pub. I am sorry that you found our waiter's brand of humour inappropriate. We teach our staff to be professional and customer-focused at all times and I am sorry if on this occasion a member of staff crossed the line. This is something we take very seriously and the member of staff has been dealt with as appropriate. I can only apologise for your experience and I am sorry that you don't intend to return.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Just got back from 2 Wonderful nights at The Swan with my friend we had the twin room which overlooked the road, the triple glazing helped not much noise slept well, Lovely modern clean rooms, lovely bathroom, well stocked tea, coffee etc. Fantastic people who work there, so polite and happy.The food is Amazing, both Mornings I had the Full English Breakfast, very tasty and plentiful, refills of juice and tea or coffee.I had the Rib Eye steak with Blue cheese sauce twice sooooo tasty and melted in your mouth, my friend had the Liver and Bacon and she said is was so tender and good portions too. The desserts are just as tasty too. The Swan is not far from a lot of Interesting Sites, we went to Salisbury Cathedral which is only 6 miles away, also Stonehenge is around the same distance. Also Old Sarum, The White Horse and Wilton House not too far also. we also went to Old Wardour Castle which is about 30 mins away well worth looking round, Thank you to everyone that made me and my friend very welcome. If I ever come your way again I will stay with you :-) P.S if you are a Premier Barclay Card Holder you get into all the English Heritage sites for free and guest and up to 6 children :-)

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Wow - great feedback! Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed your Rib Eye Steaks - and your stay in general. Great feedback about our staff. Thank you so much.

Liz - Owner
cwmbran
Reviewed June 22, 2013

My friend and I have just returned from a two day stay at The Swan. My friend very kindly booked this last August as a birthday surprise for me. I have always wanted to visit Stonehenge for the Summer Solstice and she had assurances from Dan (Owner) that they would be running a mini bus to the stones at 4am and bringing people back later. He was going to provide bacon butties to take and all sounded lovely. However, when we arrived my friend went to find him (having only spoken to him on the phone the day before!) and was told that he could take us for £10 per head but couldn't bring us back. When my friend pointed out the promise he'd made and the fact that the main reason we'd booked the place was because of this, his reply was 'well what do you expect? I'm not a tour guide!' We were very upset. We set about making arrangements to get back. However later in the day, one of the staff had to come and tell us that in fact he couldn't even take us anymore! Of course, he was nowhere to be seen!
If It had not been for the help of Vida, a wonderfully helpful and friendly member of staff, I don't know what we'd have done at such short notice but she helped us to sort everything out. All I would say is if you are planning a wedding or other function, make sure you have everything in writing as his word doesn't seem to count for very much.
That aside, the hotel itself is fine. It is only 5 miles from Stonehenge so a good location if that's what you're going to see (there's not much else around). They are redecorating at the moment and making an effort to update it, which is good. The beds are exceptionally comfy - always a plus point. Food is ok. Breakfast is good but both of my evening meals were over-cooked. I sent the Salmon back as I couldn't eat it. They do make a mean fish finger sandwich though!
Overall, I would say the best part about this hotel is the staff. I hope the owners do everything in their power to keep them as they are a real asset.
We did have a very enjoyable stay there but the fact that we were let down at the last minute (with not so much as a hint of an apology!) did mar our opinion of the place really; this is a great pity and I hope that Dan will think twice before offering a service that he either cannot or does not want to provide again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank lynnmorgan
kingy85, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thankyou for taking the time to give me your feed back once again. I am delight to hear that you like my hotel and find the quality of the staff at an exceptional level. These type of review forums are generally used as a tool against hoteliers when a guest has a grieveance and are normally very one sided. I am deeply sorry that you think the location is only ideal for stonehenge and not much else however we get hundreds of tourist visiting my property every week who have come to explore the beautiful surrounding and enjoy the close proximatey to Salisbury, Wyle Valley, Bath, Stonehenge, Wilton House, Longleat the list goes on - Wiltshire has all you can imagine right on our doorstep.
With regards to Stonehenge summer solsice I would like to apologies if you felt let down and miscommunicated to however I would like to point out that my venue has not offered a mini bus and bacon butty service to the Solisice on the day in question nor did it plan to nor was this confirmed on telephone the day before, the reason for this being that most of our guest like to reach the stones much earlier in the evening to enjoy the atmosphere before the sun rise. On the day in question I offered to arrange taxi's for you and also a complimentary coach ticket to and from the stones from the campsite in the next village - both were declined. The stones had 30,000 visitors this year all of whom managed to utilise the local transport to get safely to and from the site. I feel it is completely unreasonable for you to take a lift with a member of staff as should an accident have occured you would have invalidated both the employees insurance policy and possibly their future career development in my business's.
As for the food I am continually working to improve our menus, sources local fresh ingrediants & recruit exceptional experienced chefs. I believe that our feedback on this site and also being a finalist in the business of the year awards proves just how solid our food business is and how well it has grown in the year it has been trading. Dan (Owner)
London
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed two nights in mid-June. The room was very clean with a decent-sized bathroom and good bed linen. Although it faced quite a busy road it was triple-glazed and traffic noise was not a problem.

Food was good, but not exceptional in the evenings, but breakfast was very good. The staff were very friendly and welcoming and I thought this was just really good value for the price.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Liz97, Owner at The Swan at Stoford, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thanks for the great feedback - We are pleased that you found us good value for money and look forward to welcoming you back.

Liz - Owner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoford
The Stones Hotel
#12 of 16 in Salisbury
Legacy Rose & Crown Hotel
Legacy Rose & Crown Hotel
#8 of 16 in Salisbury

Been to The Swan at Stoford? Share your experiences!