“I do not recognise Paul's review of 26th October as my local pub”
Review of The Barford Inn

The Barford Inn
salisbury
“I do not recognise Paul's review of 26th October as my local pub”
Reviewed November 8, 2010

Sorry but I just don't. The landlord and landlady are helpful to the 'n'th degree. The pub/b&B is in a small beautiful Wiltshire village.I have never, ever seen ditrty plates and cups outside on the patio on any morning.

I have used the rooms in the past for friends who come to visit and no one has ever mentioned a musty smell or complained about anything about the rooms.

This is a lovely warm friendly 16th Century Coachin Inn, nowa much used and popular B&B and local pub. .

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
kaz67g, Owner at The Barford Inn, responded to this review, May 7, 2015
thank you for taking the time to review our pub, we are always pleased to have feedback, and are happy to hear that you all enjoyed your visit to us so much, Apologies to your Aunt for being too full to be able to enjoy one of our home made puddings! hopefully next visit she will be able to manage one, if not she will have to have a doggy bag to take home. Hope to welcome you back again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 26, 2010

I booked this place through the LateRooms web site, and clearly marked on the booking that we wanted two rooms, and our party was made up of 2 adults and 3 children. On arrival, we entered the bar and were confronted with the worst mildew smell imaginable (except that it got worse later in our rooms). The first thing the manager (and I think owner) asked was, "how many of you are there, as I only have bedding for 4?" I responded by telling him that I had booked for 5 and clearly indicated this on the booking. He insisted he hadn't been told, and that the best he could do was provide bedding for one of the kids to sleep on the floor. At that point, we should have left to find accommodation elsewhere, but I tend to be a fair-minded person (read my other reviews) and so decided not to make a big deal of it for a single night. My youngest daughter was not too fussed about this, and all the kids were in "adventure mode", so were prepared to rough it a bit. I also mentioned the smell to the manager, and he said not to worry - it's only a slight musky smell, and barely noticeable in the bedrooms. Again, against my better judgement I accepted this and organised to head up to our rooms.

When we opened the door to the first room, we were confronted with such a rank stench, that I lost my breath. On closer inspection, the place had clearly undergone some flooding and the problem hadn't been rectified (see my attached photos). The other room was better, so my wife and I took the worst of the two rooms. At this point, my wife insisted that we ask for another room, but I pointed out that the manager had already stated that these were the only two rooms available - plus it was only for one night. We left the windows open, hoping that the smell would improve whilst we went out for dinner (unfortunately it didn't).

We spent a very sleepless night, actually sleeping with our feet to the bed-head (as that was where the worst mould was). We rose early and packed, heading down to breakfast.

When we got down to the lounge/bar, I again voiced my displeasure with the manager over the smell in the rooms. With a blank dead-pan face, he insisted there was no problem, and the "slight musky" smell was actually nothing to be concerned about. I requested that we take our breakfast out in the garden to avoid the smell, as I remembered seeing tables and chairs outside the previous night. He refused, essentially telling me that we would take our breakfast inside or not at all. He actually argued with me in front of other guests, and my wife had to intervene to calm me down (I'm not generally a quick-tempered person).

Whilst waiting for breakfast I went for a walk in the garden and saw the reason why he'd refused: glasses, plates, bowls, bottles, etc were scattered over all of the outside tables and ground from the night before - no one had bothered cleaning up yet.

Pretty much holding our noses the whole time, my wife, kids and myself wolfed down a breakfast (which probably was OK, but was overshadowed by the rest), paid, then made a quick getaway. I will never stay in this place again, and I will make sure I tell everyone I know who is planning on travelling within 50km of Salisbury to stay clear. I have travelled quite a bit, but this has to be the worst experience I've ever had. What a horrible place, and what a horrible man!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank paulhb
, Owner at The Barford Inn, responded to this review, November 2, 2010
I consider this to be a malicious review, these where a particularly awkward and obnoxious family
and were told so on their departure, probably the reason why they have posted such a damming review.The report is quite personal towards myself and wholly untrue,I feel it only fair I put forward
my side of the story towards what I would consider the family from hell.On arrival they were rude and ignorant,Yes they had booked for two adults and three children but it clearly states on late rooms
that they need to telephone in advance if they require a third bed,we are not mind readers.(not every family that has stayed here have required a third bed!)We did our best to supply extra bedding but this was not good enough for them. I carried their massive
bags up the stairs to the rooms whilst the mother and father continued arguing amongst themselves.I admit one of the rooms has a slight musky odour but this is a 16th century coaching inn but as for it being as described is quite ridiculous.We have not had a complaint or a remark before this nor since.I started cooking breakfast the next morning to be informed by all the other guests that the children in this family had been running a mock to the early hours of the morning, knocking on doors screaming and running up and down the stairs,We later found several bottles of empty spirits in the children's room. this family came down for breakfast they were again rude demanding and quite obnoxious. The father demanded to have breakfast in the garden,by now I had had enough and refused.The comment about plates glasses etc in the garden is a complete fabrication added just to guild the lily to justify any complaint they may have had.At this point I informed the father regarding his children's actions the night before and the complaints from the other guests re him his wife and his children.His response was"kids will be kids".Oh how I wish I had stuck with my original gut reaction and asked them to leave the night before.They eventually paid and left.I hope anyone who reads their review treats it as a comical work of fiction by a vindictive man.Please read our other reviews on this site and also on late rooms and form an opinion based on their reports. Or better still visit us and discover a very friendly cosy village pub that does its best to provide an excellent service to all who visit us.
Outer London
Reviewed September 18, 2010

Stayed here on the way back from dropping my son at uni in Plymouth. Service was very friendly, food excellent and the room comfortable, clean and spacious.

Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
Reviewed September 6, 2010

What a place! This was the very first night I ever slept in England, and it couldn't have been nicer. The room was in the old brewery, and very cozy and comfortable. Small, but clean and quiet. We went to dinner in the pub, and the food we ordered was prompt hot and excellent, plus there was and open buffet that had cold poached salmon. Great food, location (it is in about the middle of nowhere, but that is what we wanted). I'd definetly go again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
poole
Reviewed March 14, 2010

We did not stay at this inn but five of us decided to try this pub for lunch.

It is very old and quite cosy. Staff were very friendly and attentive. Service was excellent. Above all the food was great. Even though we chose simple meals, it was obvious that good quality ingredients had been used and the meals cooked with care.

There were some excellent more unusual meals on the Specials Board.

Definitely recommended.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Worthing
Reviewed October 11, 2009

We stopped here for lunch after visiting Stonehenge. It is an old coaching Inn with lots of olde world atmosphere. We arrived after 2.00pm but food was still being served. The service was friendly and attentive, without being over attentive. The choice of food is wide and the quality was excellent. We were not stopping the night, but felt sure that had we done so we would have been very happy. We would recommend this to anybody who was looking for somewhere good to eat.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 7, 2009

We stayed at this pub for one night only to attend a wedding. The pub is in an attractive location, the room was good enough but probably needs redecorating and updating. Breakfast was standard 'full English'. The pleasant surprise was that having left something in the room, this was kindly sent on to us on request and free of charge. While not exceptional, this pub/B&B provided an acceptable one night stay

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Best Western Shaftesbury The Royal Chase Hotel
Milford Hall Hotel
Milford Hall Hotel
#6 of 16 in Salisbury

Been to The Barford Inn? Share your experiences!