“Amazing staff, welcome and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Barford Inn

The Barford Inn
Calne
“Amazing staff, welcome and food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

We moved to Dinton in August of this year. On numerous occasions we passed the Barford Inn and I thought that we could try it as we had our great friends coming up from Devon. We booked a table for 4. The menu was presented to us and we were wondering which of the items on the menu were included in the £11.00 for 3 courses. We were told everything on the list was available, we were quite surprised and delighted by this. Thinking the portion size might be small ( great sized portions arrived ).
All our meals were delicious, finished off with Creme Brûlée man it was great.

We have chosen the Barford Inn as our local eating house as each time we go there the welcome matches the food, it is always great. Our friends liked it so much that they asked their family to meet us there and they also enjoyed it.

My family have just visited from Ireland and we went to the Barford Inn on 3 occasions and each time the food was great.

The owner should be proud of the standards of the restaurant and his staff, we will be visiting as often as we can, I am trying to diet but it is so difficult as I know the Barford is just down the road. We love going there.

We will be back time and time again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank andyandantoCalne
kaz67g, Owner at The Barford Inn, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Thank you So much for your comments, we are very glad to hear that you enjoyed our Pub so much, and we are very happy to have you as regulars.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed locally to this pub for two nights last week, we were stuck for somewhere to eat and having driven past earlier in the day decided to give the "Barford" a go.

£11.00 for 3 courses? we were stumped as to how this could be a achieved with decent food. But were not disappointed, the service was polite, attentive and in good time. Food not Michelin starred but good pub fayre and the portions were huge! The wine was averagely priced but of a very good standard.

Were we impressed? Only enough to book up for the Friday night as well!
£13.50 on the Friday, it was very busy with two parties in eating, one of 16 people, but, the service and food were once again very good!

Thank you.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
kaz67g, Owner at The Barford Inn, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Thank you very much, we are pleased you had a good time in our Pub, hope to see you again.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

We called into this pub twice for lunch, on our way to and from Devon. The pub is dog friendly, which is perfect for us because we had our dog with us and the weather was such that we couldn't sit outside.

On our second visit, it was cold and pouring with rain outside. The pub have an absolutely gorgeous inglenook fireplace in the bar and I couldn't understand why they left the fire unlit. The pub was cold inside, which really affected the atmosphere and I had to fetch my coat from the car!

On our first visit, the Landlord seemed reasonably welcoming. On the second occasion, we felt he was rather offhand. A bit odd, we thought, for a country pub.

We selected sandwiches from the menu, which were very good value and the baguettes were enormous. The reason for the 3 star rating however is because, apart from lacking in atmosphere, on our second visit I ordered an egg mayonnaise baguette and it was obviously made with salad cream - which is NOT mayonnaise. It was unpleasant and consequentially I left most of it.

Would we return? Not sure. If we found another dog friendly pub en-route, then maybe not.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
kaz67g, Owner at The Barford Inn, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
I am very sorry if in your opinion our pub did not live up to your expectations, but I would just like to be able to explain a few points, Firstly the landlord although busy made a special visit to your dog and gave him treats and tit bits, Secondly our Real Fire is lit every day between 1st Nov until end of March we do not light it sooner as it gets too hot and is difficult to control, so instead we have back ground heaters as and when needed,Thirdly we do not stock SALAD CREAM so there is no way at all that it could have been used to make your Baguettes!
Finally I would just like to point out that if my Dear Husband seemed a tad distracted or not as friendly as you would have liked him to be, it could possibly have something to do with the fact that since August 5th when I had an accident and broke my back, he has been running the place on his own working from breakfast until closing time 7 days a week, as well as being extremely worried about his wife who has also had a Pulmonary embolism to cope with!
So please before jumping to conclusions and writing these reviews spare a thought for all the folk in this industry that do a dam good job under sometimes difficult conditions! NO we don't always get it right but we do work dammed hard whilst trying!
Sorry if this seems a tad harsh response but as you can see we have had a rough few months and I am sick and tired of people expressing THEIR views on line without having all the facts!!!!!
breaston,derby
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We had one evening meal at the Barford as we were staying in a b&b not far away.They advertise the meal as 3/4/11 and that's what it is 3 courses for eleven pounds.The pub was nice and clean and the service very good considering that the landlady had,had quite a nasty accident with her horse and had just come out of hospital(hope she is recovering) and the remainder of the staff were coping very well.The meal was well presented and and we did not have to wait long.If you want a meal which is not going to cost a lot you cannot go wrong and the local badger beer was quite nice.If we went back to the area we would not hesitate to call in.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
kaz67g, Owner at The Barford Inn, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Hi very glad to hear you enjoyed your meal with us, and that you where well looked after, It was as you say only a few days after my horse related accident in which I broke my back, so as you can imagine it was a difficult time for all involved, which makes me even more pleased to hear how well everything was running in my absence, thank you very much for your review, and good wishes I am very much on the mend now.
Bucks
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Popped in for lunch and had the best experience of several previous visits. Excellent welcome,shown to a table quickly and 2pints of wonderful Badger beer arrived immediately. Mains of steak and kidney, and venison steak with a creamy peppercorn sauce. Both very well cooked and presented. Most enjoyable,especially the wonderful charming and smiling waitress who offered bread to mop up the gravy!. Good old basic puddings of Crumble and Bread n Butter + custard--great
Hope future visits will be as good, and that the waitress is there. No sign of the Landlord, !
Prices reasonable food and 4 pints £47

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
kaz67g, Owner at The Barford Inn, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Hi,
I,m very glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to us so much and that our waitress looked after you so well.
I apologise that the landlord appeared to not be about , but can assure you he is never far away, he is one of the chef's so may have been in the kitchen? and also at the moment is running the whole place with out the help of his wife as I have unfortunately had an accident which resulted in my back being broken! So as you can imagine things are not quite as normal at the moment.
That said despite everything going on behind the scenes the fact that you still had a very enjoyable visit speaks volumes and is a real credit to my team in my absence so for that I am very pleased.
Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

I don't think I realised what good value there was on our proverbial doorstep! Thirteen pound fifty for three course meal could not be better value and the buzzing busy restaurant showed that this offer was well received. Every table was taken. The bar down a step was also busy with local folk enjoying the bar atmosphere and the billiards. This pub has got a lot right in these troubled times.

And the food was excellent value. Speaking for myself....tasty bubble and squeak etc, succulent chicken with bacon and pea purée was piping hot and tasty ,the cherry pannacotta really good.
We shall go again. The service was good without being over the top and a suitable tip was gladly given. Lovely atmosphere and lovely food at sensible prices. Boxes ticked!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank NotLordPercy
Fleet, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013

Booking in seemed to be a disruption to bar staff attending to drinks for other customers, room had slightly stale smell, pillows well past their sell by date and after 10 minutes head down the lumps could be felt in the pillow stuffing. The bathroom whilst clean was so dated and worn out, extractor fan didn't do too much at all. It just rang bells of the accommodation being a money making add on that no money has been spent on for a while. The HB lager, humm is it meant to be flavourless and flat? If not it needs looking at, have never experienced a drink quite like it.

Hate leaving negative feedback for anybody but if the pub is going to justify the £60 per night they could do with lifting the profile of the rooms, they don't need to spend big bucks but they do need to make some changes.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
#2 of 16 in Salisbury
Grasmere House Hotel
Grasmere House Hotel
#13 of 16 in Salisbury

Been to The Barford Inn? Share your experiences!