“Best pub meal ever” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Barford Inn
Wiltshire
“Best pub meal ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2012

Five of us went for an evening meal on Bank Holiday Monday. Despite it being Bank Holiday, the "3 courses for a tenner" offer was still on and we all had three courses. I have to say that every single dish was delicious - beautifully served and perfectly cooked. The service was fast and efficient and extraordinarily good value for money. Tow of our party were from New Zealand. They had expereinced many pub meals in England and said that this was far and away the best. I shall be taking all my friends there in future.

Room Tip: I did not stay here so cannot comment
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
kaz67g, Owner at The Barford Inn, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Thank you very much for your comments, I,m very pleased you all enjoyed your meals with us, we hope to see you again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Shaftesbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

As we were passing by we decided to try the Barford Inn for Sunday Lunch. First impression was not good, it looked tired and shabby as we entered the bar. No problem with the welcome though and they were able to accommodate us without a prior reservation.

The menu and order taking were prompt and efficient

The problem was the food. Mediocre, uninspiring and tasteless. Even allowing for it being a two course for £10 lunch, it was a very poor effort - we will not return.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
kaz67g, Owner at The Barford Inn, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
I'm very sorry you felt this way, again I say to people please try us for yourselves to get your own views on us.
p.s If your trying us for Sunday lunch please book as we are full most Sundays before we open the doors!
Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2012

I am at a loss to understand how any visitors to this establishment can find the food other than very good.

We had the 'three-courses-for-a-tenner' meal deal and could only manage two courses - but it was still excellent value. It should be renamed '£10 belly-buster'. we are looking forward to eating here again. The chips I would particularly highlight. Vince knows how to cook them - double fried, crisp on the outside and fluffy inside. If you only know McDonald's or somesuch - well, go to McDonald's. THere's a branch not far away, in Salsbury. Connoisseurs will love them.

The pub has a good atmosphere and prompt, efficient srvice. The youngsters behind the bar are pretty good, attentive without being intrusive. We like the place very much.

Room Tip: Did not stay overnight so cannot advise.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ruari M
kaz67g, Owner at The Barford Inn, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
thank you for your comments, very glad you enjoyed the food.
Salisbury, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

I had been very ill with pneumonia and was really beginning to recover mid December 2011, so my wonderful partner wanted to take me out for a meal to a pub near where we had just recently moved. Imagine my horror when the good I had ordered, Beer Battered Cod with Chips was served. The Chips were awful. They looked like they had been cooked in oil that had been used over and over, they were not golden but blackish grey in colour, they tasted even worse, greasy. This is usually caused by oil that has not been sufficiently heated prior to cooking, but I felt these chips had been in the oil prior to my ordering them. I had the bubble & squeak cake topped with a slice of bacon and egg prior to my main meal. But there was no sign of bacon, only pieces of it amongst the copious mustard sauce the whole thing had been drowned in.

But the worst experience of all was by the owner herself. She actually wanted a full on argument with me. I was very polite with her from the start, I was not rude nor arrogant at all. I asked that they replace my meal, but I am told that is how they cook their chips and if I did not like it then I had to order something else. I knew that whatever I wanted from their menu that night would include chips and I tried to explain this to her. She told me I had an attitude problem and she had met people like me before, she told me she had never received any complaints about her food before. Eventually, brow beaten, and as I could not believe behaviour she was exhibiting toward me, as she was quite threatening, I said to forget it, and I was not going to eat anything else. She refused to leave out table, I looked at my partner saying "what is happening here?" He shook his head in disbelief. In the end I had to ask her to leave our table 4 times!, as she was refusing and kept on telling me i had a problem.

We left and unfortunately we paid too, as we were eager not to get involved in a showdown due to my ill health. It was horrible, and while we were paying £32 for food we didn't or couldn't eat, the bar staff, a tall dark haired young man, was laughing his head off!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
kaz67g, Owner at The Barford Inn, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
I am all for freedom of speech!!
In this instance the only response this review needs is to say A very big congratulations to the lady that wrote it, she must be very proud to have been nominated for both the "MAN BOOKER PRIZE" and also "THE STORY PRIZE" and I,m very sure that if she continues with her reviews next year she must surely be a winner of one of the above prizes! (for those of you not familiar with these awards feel free to google them)
I'll finish by saying once again, feel free to judge us on our reviews both good and bad! but the best way to see how GOOD we are or bad! is to visit us for yourselves! what have you got to lose?
hope to see you soon if your passing our way. regards The Landlady.
southampton uk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2011

have many times met friends at the Inn and always the food and service has been excellent. The standard of cooking is superb and the ony complaint is that the portions were a bit too large. Have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone for lunch or dinner

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2011

The carpeted entrance area into the pub itself is black. With dirt, not by design. The accommodation block has a substantial stair and landing carpet that is probably domestic grade. It has a worn dirty track down the middle. My room carpet was also stained and dirty. There were other issues but for the sake of brevity lets just say the place needs investment and some experienced hotel keeping input. On the good side the heating worked very well and the sheets and towels and bathroom were clean. The restaurant seemed busy, probably owing to three courses for £9.99 [I think.] However if the landlords couldn’t keep the carpets clean I wasn’t going to trust their kitchen. I paid about £55 a night for three nights b&b. Good accommodation and good food in this area seems generally more expensive than other rural areas of the UK. Maybe because of the lack of budget hotels.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
      Rooms
1 Thank PYAshington
kaz67g, Owner at The Barford Inn, responded to this review, October 14, 2011
I would just like to say that we are a very busy country pub and do not have time to respond to every review written about us, obviously reviews are a very personal view and as long standing experienced publicans of over 15yrs we are well aware that you can not please everyone all of the time, we do however try our very best to give a very warm welcome, and provide clean and comfortable rooms for your stay, and our chef's produce home made food to a very very high standard, we have a lot of regular diners and also a lot of repeat customers in our rooms, so I think this speaks for itself.
The gentleman in question who wrote the review was travelling with a colleague who also stayed with us, and returned the following week for another stay!
I always think the best way to find out about a place is try it for yourself! so if your passing our way and want a traditional country village Inn that does great food pop in and try us or better still stay the night and really soak up the atmosphere and enjoy.
Basingstoke
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

Popped in en route to Somerset for a bite to eat, had the club sandwich and thought Pasta with Pesto was a great option for the kids menu, if anything the portions were overly large (shouldn't complain really), really enjoyed it. The young chaps behind the bar and serving were very attentive and polite.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Ludwell
Grasmere House Hotel
Grasmere House Hotel
#13 of 16 in Salisbury

Been to The Barford Inn? Share your experiences!