“Once again fantastic”
Review of Estbek House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sandsend
Estbek House
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sandsend
Chesterfield
“Once again fantastic”
Reviewed March 12, 2010

Having been to Estbek for our wedding anniversary in December I requested a return trip for my birthday. It was just as wonderful. Yes the car park is over the bridge; yes the house isn't the most accessible - that's because its old!!!! It is, though, truly charming. David and Tim are very welcoming and, to us, it felt like home. We met up with guests we'd first met in December (only four rooms so you do get to mingle with other guests - inevitably like-minded folks). An extra treat for me this time was meeting Evie the new Scottie pup (aaaah!). The food was, once again, heavenly. It helps if you love fresh fish, as we do, as that is their real speciality and quite right too, being so close to Whitby. The rooms are cosy and beautifully furnished. It's just wonderfully quaint. By the way, the wine list is to die for - we intend to work our way through it!!! We will be back as soon as we can. Everyone else keep away so we can get in when we want to go, please.......

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Sheffield
Reviewed August 15, 2009

I have visited the Estbek several times a year since its opening (can't remember when, sorry!) and i can honestly say that it has never disappointed me!

As soon as you walk in you are greated by one of the many members of staff. I can recommend the Jansk to start off, what will always be a memorable evening.
The food is excellently prepared by Tim and his colleagues and if you need any help with chosing your wine from the extensive list then Dave is always happy to help. I won't go into what wines are great because they all are!!!!!!
As one of the other reviews state you do get what you pay for, you pay alittle bit more than the other restaurants in the area, but this is soo much more worth it!
There is free off road parking a very short walk away! (across a little bridge)

The Estbek has a great atmosphere for either a special night with a loved one or a great meal with a friend.

I really don't know how anyone can fault this place as its fantastic!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Likest0eat0ut
Tees Valley
Reviewed August 2, 2009

Was really looking forward to eating at Estbek House having read the rave reviews and we were happy to drive the 70 mile round trip for the dining experience. Wanted to add to the other excellent reviews and add this to our favourite list of places to eat particularly as there are so few really good seafood restaurants in the area. Maybe our expectations were too high.
The setting is beautiful but unfortunately no designated parking near the restaurant as it is on the main seafront road. The location of the restaurant and the stairs up to the dining-areas make it disabled unfriendly but the proprietors can hardly be blamed for that. It is a quaint building furnished tastefully. Unusually the kitchen is downstairs as you come in with the small bar to the right. The two small dining rooms are at the top of the stairs, either side which means there is constant 'traffic' on the stairs.
It was a busy Saturday evening and the place was heaving. We waited an hour to be seated but expected this on a busy night.
The starter I ordered had been sold out which was a disappointment (the brown shrimp and crab ravioli). The figs I had as a substitute were bland, had no discernable flavour apart from charred rosemary stalks which they had been roasted on and I found no sign of the goats cheese supposed to be contained within.
My partner was equally disappointed with his salmon and prawn starter, it was quite average in terms of the quality of ingredients and to be honest guys the seafood throughout had the consistency and taste of pre-frozen.
My lemon sole was delicious, served with a couple of boiled potatoes and a bundle of vegetables. The mini 'lobster' thermidor I paid an extra £5.50 for lifted what would have been a very ordinary fish supper.
My partner had the fish pie which is a stack of salmon and seafood served with a very dry potato cake. He was bitterly disappointed with the quality of the ingredients having looked forward to tasting succulent fresh seafood.
My creme brulee with raspberries was superb and the complimentary chocolates delicious.
As my partner was driving, he only had water and was curiously told we werem't allowed to pour it ourselves even though we were sat next to the carafes of water! The waitress explained that this was because there were not enough water jugs to go around. Bizarre! I has 3 small glasses of wine at £6 each which is rather excessive.
Staff were pleasant, we did not feel inclined to complain because it was clearly a case of our expectations simply not being met by the food in this restaurant.
Sorry guys, it lacked any 'wow' factor for us. We are fair critics of food and can see that the restaurant is popular but it doesn't live up to our expectations.
As my partner did not have wine or a dessert, we had no coffees (too late by then, it took much longer than expected), we felt that the price tag of £85 was rather excessive.
Disappointing, wished our review could have been better but it's given fairly and we wish your business well.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank julesTeesValley
Nottingham
Reviewed August 1, 2009

My partner and I stayed in Alum and dined in the restaurant for a special occasion. We were somewhat disappointed in the size of the room as a first impression but everything was of good quality and the en-suite was particularly smart (warning to six-footers; careful you don’t knock yourself out when standing up after using the loo, like my partner nearly did!). The ‘stunning views’ described on the website were not quite as we expected (see photo) although the bed was very comfortable and the room had everything we needed. We paid a dining rate of £140 for one-night's stay. Had we not eaten in the restaurant, the cost would have been £180.
It is the second time we have dined at Estbek this year and we were surprised to see that the menu was almost identical to the one we had in April this year. The changes that had been made were detrimental to meat-eaters as there was no meat dish in the starters at all (my partner had belly pork previously) and the main course meat dishes consisted of only two steak dishes and duck. No white meat at all and everything else was fish or seafood...obviously they specialise in fish dishes but a bit more choice would’ve been great. We both chose Whitby Kipper Pate and Fillet Steak with Shiraz glaze....both of which were delicious. Desserts of Creme Brulee and Eton Mess were lovely and the service was very good. The meal (with drinks) came to just over £100.

Breakfast was really good with yogurt, cereals, full English and toast with delicious preserves. We were surprised that no-one asked us if everything was okay at any time during our visit or at checking-out time but all-in-all we had a comfortable stay with great food.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kimlorraine
Sheffield
Reviewed July 23, 2009

We stayed for two nights in Alum and ate in the restaurant both nights. Not cheap but 'you get what you pay for' is a good motto to keep in mind. The food was excellent for a fish eating 'vegetarian'. My partner who is properly vegetarian, but doesn't like goat's cheese, asked if anything else could be prepared for our second evening and was offered a choice of two dishes. Nothing too much trouble. The fish pie was like no fish pie I've ever had and was absolutely gorgeous. Fresh eggs from the hens in the back garden for breakfast - lovely. The room was spotless and very comfortable and contained chocolates - what more could you ask!! All of the staff were friendly and cheerful and I really like how every member of staff is included in the room information and their website. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Monkeyplush
UK
Reviewed June 28, 2009

if you stay and eat here then you will not be disappointed. i chose this restaurant because we like fine food. it's even better when you can just crawl up to be after! we stayed in Alum. the biggest room after being told that they had a cancellation after we had orginally booked Flo. Room was perfect and had everything you need for a overnight stay. If we were staying longer I would have asked them to try and loosen the window catch so I could let some air in. I just like to sleep with the window open. The truffles were very nice, don't know if they were left for my birthday or they do this for all the guests but it was a very nice touch. The bed was big and very comfortable as we nearly slept in for breakfast!
The restaurant; what can I say other than take your time looking at the menu as you will have dissiculty choosing what to eat as ALL the dishes were tempting. I had the scallops followed by the fillet and mushroom basket - a sheer joy to eat. Hubby had the ravioli follwed by the turbot and he ended up textin all his foody friends! The big decision came for the pudding but we settled on the tawny cheeseboard for him and the creme brulle plus sparkler for me. None of your bland pale eggs in this pudding as the eggs were free range from the back garden a brillant yellow in colour!
Sandsend is a wonderful little hamlet, we counted at least 5 coffee/tea shops on our little walk around. There are more woodland walks but we didn't have the time to explore properly.
When you decide to come here I am sure that you will be coming back again as I'm thinking of booking up for my hubby's birthday next!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dunedinhen
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 11, 2009

This was our third visit to "Estbek House". So pleased to learn that Dave & Tim had been awarded a Second AA Rosette. Hospitality, Service and Quality are words that come to mind. This time we stayed in Nora, having previously stayed in Flo and Alum. All have their differences and provide that little bit extra to make your stay enjoyable. Our dining experiences were worthy of a Two AA Rosette. I can only say we look forward to a return visit.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ptrA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandsend
Raithwaite Estate
#7 of 20 in Whitby
The Angel Hotel
The Angel Hotel
#3 of 20 in Whitby

Been to Estbek House? Share your experiences!