“Amazing view, less than amazing room”

White Monkey - Dias Rest
Ranked #3 of 41 Haputale B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 30, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights while in Haputale. Dias has arguably one of the best pieces of land in town. The view from the guesthouse is absolutely amazing (assuming you are not socked in by clouds). Dias, the owner, is very friendly and is always ready to help with any tours or sites you want to see. I enjoyed sitting with him at night and discussing Sri Lankan history and culture.

The downside to this place are the rooms. Both of the cottages were booked, so we stayed in the room on the top floor of the half-built building. The room was ok, the bed was semi comfortable but the pillows were pretty bad. We had to ask for blankets and towels and the towels we got were absolutely flithy. We didn't dare use them and thankfully had brought our own travel towels which we were hoping to not use because nothing dries well in the rainy season there. We also had to keep asking them to turn our water on because it was turned off during the days when they were doing construction. I think even a small amount of care and attention to the rooms would go a long way here.

We had breakfast and dinner here and the food was great. It's all local food, so be prepared if you are not a fan of rice and curry. We always felt a little judged like we did not eat enough because our massive bowl of rice was not empty, so that was awkward at times.

Overall it was a good experience and as I said, just a bit more work and this place will be great.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 29, 2012

Travelled From Saudi Arabia, In November 2011.. Arrived on 24th…. Wanted To Be In A Place Where I Could Doubtlessly Be Comforted, Hence I Read The Facts About “White Monkey Dias Rest” Carefully From The Homepage It Obviously Gave Me An Impression That It’s A Simple, Basic & Highly Comforting Place Surrounded By Wonderful Landscapes & Sceneries, Yes It’s Where I Wanted To Be! I Mean A Place Where I Am Comforted By The Nature!
I was quite overwhelmed by Dias & Family! i was really missing my family when I arrived, but from the 1st day of staying in Dias Rest I felt like being with my family! just like my own family, well treated & as I expected the nature was absolutely pleasing me!
The Kind speech of Dias & the Children was an extra bonus to my stay! They helped me in trekking tours! I made my journey all around Sri Lanka! They have a team called “Eagle Rocks” organized by the German friend of Dias, The Name Eagle Rocks was originated since there is a mountain (Peak) just in front of Dias Rest which you see when you just come out from your room! The most captivating place from which you can even see a few districts in Sri Lanka! This Peak Can Either Be Known As De “Micro World’s End” Because it’s just similar to the “Horton Plains World’s End” in Sri Lanka; Visited By Almost All The Foreigners & Locals .
Since Dias Rest Has The Trekking Tour Information Centre, I Found That There Were Many Foreigners Playing “Geo Caching” Which Is Becoming Increasingly Popular World Wide!
Food & Stuff Were Quite Fine! The Method Of Serving Is Giving An Extra Ordinary Pleasing View to The Meals! (Well Done Dias & Family! I Thank You So Much!)
It Was A Long Stay In Dias Rest! I Was Planning to Stay For A Month; But Since Wanted to Complete My Trekking Tour I Extended My Stay Up To Two Months; Am Thanking Mr.Oliver & They Children For All Their Help In Making My Tour A Successful.
Am Thanking Dias & Family For All The Kind Service & The Lovely Treatment. & Thanks For The Smile!

Room Tip: Cottage Rooms Is Quite Comfortable! & The Family Rooms Too!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
15  Thank Zayd M
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Booked this place on the basis of the fantastic reviews it had received. Unfortunately when we arrived we were really disappointed as it certainly didn't live up to its reputation both in terms of the accommodation and the friendliness of the host - both really lacking to the extent that we made the decision not to stay there. We stayed in lots of places during our holiday in Sri Lanka this was by far the most miserable.

Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Martine D
Reviewed April 9, 2012

Our driver didn't believe there was a hotel perched on the edge of what land provided a view nearly equivalent to Horton's Plain. A great big family works and plays here with father, honest host Dias in charge as cook, chief bottle washer, father and uncle to many.The bigger kids could do a bit more work than play but in such peaceful and beautiful surroundings I'd play all the time too! Great food, different than the rice and curry you'll have plenty of opportunity to try elsewhere. Visit the kitchen. Ask Dias's German partner Oliver about geocaching and the good the two do for the local schools. Get to know the multitude of kids. This was a very wonderful stay for very little money. Drawback for some might be not knowing whether the linens are fresh but for the cost one can make do and learn to enjoy personal encounters instead. Very wonderful tea field views. Proof is Lipton chose a nearby location.

Room Tip: Get Oliver's cottage if he is not there. Check out hot water availability in other two rooms but...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank acooley123
Reviewed February 14, 2012

big room, hot shower, very low priced, fantastic view over the valley, be sure to ask for blankets as it gets quite cold at night. very friendly family, delicious rice & curry, perfect roti for breakfast. Oliver, a german who lives there, is very helpful and full of information.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank MagdalenaV
Reviewed January 23, 2012

Please make sure that you read all the reviews so you have the right expectations when you come and visit this lovely family.

The Diaz family is kind enough to open their home and welcome you more like a family member than a visitor. It is a large family and a small house so it will get busy. If you don't like to socialize or interact with other cultures and adjust to foreign customs then this is not for you.

There are currently a couple of family rooms and a cottage. We stayed in a family room and didn't get a chance to see the cottage. The rooms are very basic. There is hot water and two basic beds but the mattress is thin, the sheets are old and there is hardly any furniture. The bathroom is a toilet (western style), basin and shower that has an instant heater attached.
Again, it is very basic. It is clean and you fresh sheets and towels and a blanket if it is cold. If you need only one bed you may want to consider to put the mattress of the other bed on top of your to make it more comfortable. Even better you can bring your own sleeping bag. Why is it so simple? Think about where the White Monkey is located and how much money the family earn. It's not a simple matter to go out and buy new sheets or a new mattress. If you are looking for something even close to hotel style then this is not for you.

Food - we had breakfast and dinner. We simply loved it. Diaz is a great cook, it's great to watch him prepare the yummy dishes on the simple wood stove in the back of the house. You will get local food, Sri Lankean style, lots of rice, big portions and you get a chance to eat with the family. If you need western food, have special dietary requirements or looking for a la carte then this is not for you.

White Monkey is actually located three km outside of Haputale, not in Nuwara Eliya. You can get a train to Haputale and then a tuk tuk or bus to the 3km marker in Dambetanne. One of the key attraction is its location, at the edge of a high cliff with tea plantations and tea factories in the background. Clouds will travel up the cliff, the spot is just magic and fascinating. You can take excursions to Lipton's seat, into the tea plantations and the boys are available for tracking if you want to get adventurous, which is we really recommend you do if you come here. There are some steep steps going down to the rest house and the boys will help you with your luggage but if you need to be reasonably fit (and careful) to climb up and down else this is not for you.

I hope this gives you a bit of an idea what to expect and prepares you to a certainly degree to have a 5 star stay with the Diaz family. If it does and you do end up staying you will most likely agree with the rating.

Room Tip: See if you can get the cottage if it is available.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank martinSinSyd
Reviewed December 9, 2011

A very special place to stay! If you love nature, appreciate familiy contact and accept basic rooms, it's your pick. Extraordinary location 3 km outside Haputale with superb views. Very close to many nice places such as Lipton's Seat, Adam's Peak etc. Good location for trips in the region. Rooms are basic but clean. Good hot shower. No sheets on bed, but you get fleece blankets. Preferably take along sleeping bags and warm clothes as it might get fresh at night. Great owner family: Very friendly, you're welcome as a member of the family, they help you with everything you ask and know a lot about Sri Lanka, interesting trips, roads, weather, nature etc. They really care that every guest is at ease (eg they organized us a guesthouse at the coast as the weather in Haputale stayed bad). Nice home made Sri Lankan dishes. If the weather is bad (and it can be foggy and raining), it's not a big pleasure, but if the weather is good, it's a little paradise!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple