“Cheap and fresh food”

Cuisines: Indian
Bengaluru, India
“Cheap and fresh food”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We really enjoyed the cake, egg samsa and the veg patties from Risara bakery. One of the cheapest in the locality. The tea tasted nice as well.

Visited November 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Albany, Australia
“YUM!!!”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Risara is where the locals come to eat - there is nothing fancy about it. But the food here was cheap and one of the most delicious I had in Sri Lanka. We only came the once, but oh my...plate after plate of hoppers with little bowls of different curries to dip them into. The curries were amazing - hot and spicy (yes, finally some spicy food!). The hoppers are cooked fresh downstairs at the entrance. There is a bakery underneath that also sells delicious samosas and pastries, as well as, incidentally, packets of really good tea. I'd had a cup of the nicest tea I'd ever had that morning in a tiny tea shop outside the Dambatenne Tea Factory and the man there told me I could buy that tea at Risara which is why I went there in the first place. That little purchase added a few kilos to my backpack! If you are in Haputale (which you shouldn't miss anyway), go to Risara.

• Visited July 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Best place in town to eat”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We ate here most days . There is a room upstairs which is often less crowded . The staff were very good to us and went out of their way to serve us good food . The Biryani rice was truly excellent as were most dishes .

• Visited May 2013
Kuala Lumpur
“Wide pastry choices, yummy samosa”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

They have a wide range of breads and short eats to choose from and I especially love their samosa (egg). A very local and affordable place indeed. I asked my tuk-tuk driver to stop us here to get some breads on our way to Lipton's Seat as it's on the way (the bus stand is just a street). It's also very near with the train station, 3 minutes walking time perhaps, turn left after you walk out of the station.

I didn't try their restaurant however, because the environment doesn't look so appealing to me, and I am exactly brave. But still, I think their breads and short eats are good.

• Visited July 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Best Option In Haputale”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Food here was surprisingly good. I came here on a few occasions, as lunch and breakfast was very cheap. For breakfast, they serve up rice or string hoppers with two types of curries. Lunch has a bit more on offer, but I always came back for their fried rice with curry sauce. I loved their samosas, served in their bakery downstairs and were always done fresh in the afternoon as they turn them around pretty quickly. The spicy sausage baked roll was my favourite from their bakery.

Visited April 2013