“Recommended for all!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Haputale
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“Recommended for all!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2012

This looks like a small hotel from outside, but when you go inside there are approx. 5 floors in the hotel with 29 rooms and some more coming up on the other side where the construction is going on. Superrrb Location and one of the most scenic views I have ever seen. The weather too is not too cold and not warm at all.

The hotel service was very good and the staff were all smiles always and ever ready to help and make the stay comfortable. There is enough staff all over the hotel and all willing to help you in anything.

The rooms were very very clean and spacious. The beds were comfortable too and there were lots of amenities which some of the star class hotels do not provide such as the sewing kit, ear buds, tea and coffee facilities, modern tv, divan, cupboard, clothes rack, fridge etc.However, the fridge was empty and I believe the mini bar facility is not available. Washrooms were clean as well. even though quite small compared to the size of the room. Air condition is not available but a fan is there because of the natural cold weather in haputale. We did not even require the fan to be on during our stay.

They did a good job with the food. There was not a large variety of items, but about 10 main dishes which were very tasty and sufficient. We enjoyed the food and I believe they could maybe improve on their rice and curry set menu for lunch with one or more items coming in.

Recommended to all to visit the hotel and sure you would enjoy the stay.

Room Tip: The southern view rooms are good. Request for an upper floor room to get a much better view.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
Bengaluru, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

Tucked away on a small hillock about a km from the train station, this hotel is an excellent place to stay. The rooms are not luxurious but are clean and comfortable. The pastry shop outside is excellent and it's worth coming here even if you don't intend to stay at the hotel! Haputhale is a good stopover if you are travelling from north to south and this is the place to stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
OlympusPlaza, Owner at Olympus Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

It gives us immense pleasure in writing to you, expressing our sincere thankfulness to you for choosing Olympus Plaza Hotel for your stay in Haputale.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guests and would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your collaboration and we hope to see you again soon at Olympus Plaza Hotel.

We truly appreciate for taking your valuable time to share your experience of your stay at OPH

Colombo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

I chanced to visit this Hotel about a month after its opening a few years ago and was imoressed by the quality of food, taste and the hospitality of the staff.

I made a return trip in May this Year and was surprised to find the same qualities still continuing, which, is a rarity in the proprietor owned hotels in Sri Lanka, where compromises are resorted to after the clientele is secured.

If you are an independent traveller make Haputale a stop over, because the climate is cold, there is mist in the mornings and by evening,

For local travellers mark this as a worthwhile hotel from which you can visit Diyatalawa, Badulla, Bandarawela and Horton Plains and return for a refreshing stay.

PS If you are a Railway buff this is a train spotters" spot

Room Tip: There are 2 options You could ask for the Beragala view to see far into the south of Sri Lanka, o...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mahinda W
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

I was staying with my wife in this hotel for one night. we found our room very very clean, the room was very specially arranged as we were honeymooners. staff with smily faces, helpful, attentive. very nice location. the extention which will be opened very soon, will have a luxury rooms with a wonderful view. i would say its the only hotel in haputale.

Room Tip: southern view or new extention which will be coming soon
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Colombo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

I'am really honored to be commenting on this hotel as my first hotel comment on a Sri lankan property. As a first time traveller to Haputale I was with an open mind on what I might come across there. I travelled with my family of four and friends totaling 7.I read a bit on Olympus Plaza and saw some images but was reserved with what I might get. When we turned into the parking area the first thing that caught my eye was the construction sight!!!!OMG( Where have we come to??). But once I got out and looked around passing the main entrance I observed the most amazing view. It was so calming for me who really was looking forward to a relaxing holiday. The view of unending mountain range with a cold breeze was really great. This did calm me down to explore more of this hotel. At the entrance we were met by a chubby person with an amazing smile by the name of Lasitha Samyadasa who I got to know later was the Managing Director of this hotel. From the moment I met Lasitha until we left this hotel me, my family and friends had the most amazing time. The rooms had enough space to move around specially since I had a 5 year old who is restless like a small pup!!!! The bathrooms are well maintained and stocked with the basic requirements. The best is out in the balcony. When you sit there you will forget about all the worries in the world. The scenery is really nice with a beautiful mountain range covered with mist. I did not want to leave this until my wife dragged me from there for the meals.
The two main chefs are a quite a pair too, the main chef being the gentle quite one and the second in charge being a very noisey and full of charm which complimented each other well. We altogether had 6 meals during our stay and I would give each meal a 10 out of 10. Lasitha also being a chef himself i think he had being able to get the best out of the kitchen staff at olympus. The creations that came to the table were gorgeous with a lovely presentaion. I have been in many hotels around the world but I would rate the food as one of the best.All sweet lovers will really enjoy the deserts!!!dont blame anyone if you had put on couple of pounds after your trip to Olympus.
Lead by the great Lasitha the whole staff in this hotel are very friendly and with a big smile to help you in anyway they could. This is a main requirement to make sure the guest will return back, which I will definitely do.
The hotel has a well stocked bar which is seldomly used by the guests which I think is a waste. It has a pool table and a karaoke lounge.
Wi Fi is available throughout the hotel which I think is a much needed facility to the modern traveller.
Hotel is situated in an area with many sites which can be easily traveled to. We loved the Liptons seat and the trip to a tea factory owned by Lankem.
Ok enough with the good side, I need to point some concerns too. The balconey which I greatly loved is presently covered with Stainless steel bars which is a bit of a concern if you have small kids.I already brought this up with the management and I was informed when I was checking out that they were going to rectify this with safety glass panels which will cover the front upto three feet height. This will also improve the view which was getting covered due to these horendous steel strcuture. Talk about quick action!!!
This hotel do not have a lift even though it has couple of levels.So I would advice the elderly and the disabled to request a room on the ground floor or the nearest.
A bit dusty due to the new additions coming on side of the hotel. I was informed this will be sorted after the building is completed by the end of the year with additional rooms and a big wedding hall.
As most of us travel with kids I would have loved to have enough space for them to run around and have some activities for them. This will help us parents to enjoy the holiday better. At the moment they tend to run out which is also used as the car park!!
Also would have prefered to have an open area with a great view to sit and enjoy a book. At all levels there is a sitting area but you are constantly disturbed by the guests going up and down through the nearby staircase.

OLYMPUS as Greek mythology is the home for the gods. Even though there were minor concerns I would safely say this is also a home for the gods which prompted me to rate this property as an Excellent.

Room Tip: Two rooms with a great view had been added just couple of days back. One has a 90 degree view of ama...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Kingsleydesilva

negombo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

Nice hotel with good views.

Rooms are spacious and comfortable with facilities like TV, MINI FRIDGE, TEA MAKING FACILITY, HOT WATER, BALCONY, COMFORTABLE BEDS. CHAIRS & A DESK

Food was lovely....

Staff was really nice and did their best to make sure our stay was comfortable.

Room Tip: Top floor rooms are with a good view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Kharkiv, Ukraine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

Olympus Plaza Hotel is located in Haputale, in a mountainous region of Sri Lanka. From the balcony of our room opened with very beautiful view of the tea plantations. The room we had was small but very cozy. A comfortable bed, nice interior, new furniture. The room also had an electric kettle and tea bags and sugar were at our disposal.

I especially want to note and commend the restaurant: great service and a variety of dishes. All the dishes were very tasty, and portions are enormous! Perhaps the whole trip to Sri Lanka at this hotel we were fed delicious of all. Portion sizes, such that in spite of the dishes taste amazing, we just could not eat it all!

The hotel also buildindgan extension for the tourists. We stayed in a hotel in low season, there were few tourists, but in high season a lot of people visit Haputale. Haputale himself - a small town, there are no special points of interest there, but so nice to walk in the town and surrounding area, look at the tea plantations, to touch the tea bushes. In May, there is not too hot, after our vacation on the coast, I would say that even cool. Unreal mountain scenery! All this and attracts tourists from around the world. If my husband still wants to go to Sri Lanka, I prefer alpine area. And the Olympus Plaza Hotel, in my opinion, provides an excellent location and the same excellent service.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank vika_h1219

Management and Staff
Also consider these accommodations in or near Haputale
Melheim Resort
98 Acres Resort
#1 of 11 in Ella
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,274 reviews
Leisure Mount View Holiday Inn

Been to Olympus Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!