“Simply outstanding”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Auckland
“Simply outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2013

Hands-down, the best food in the North-West (Kumeu & surrounds) and, arguably, the best quality for money in Auckland in the fine European segment.

The food is, in a word, astonishing. We’ve now visited a few times, and the menu seems to change regularly. Each time, a slightly kooky, mind-bending and utterly delicious symphony of flavours and textures.

Imagine a dark chocolate mousse cigar, with peanut hokey-pokey and salty/crunchy wild rice ice cream on the side, or a butter-tender cut of venison in a mocha sauce/rub with goji berries and almonds. It's insane. It's food that makes you smile, scratch your head and sneak a bite or six from your dining companion's plate. It's nigh-on-perfect.

Evgeni the chef is a mad Russian gourmet scientist and he's here to explode your palate.

The owners/hosts should be very proud of the work they’re doing – delivering top-notch food and service with obvious care and enthusiasm. As a bonus on top of it all, it's even family-friendly, with a small area for the kids set off to one side.

• Visited June 2013

Labasa, Northern, Fiji
“An enjoyable evening!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Took my 21-year-old daughter to this restaurant as a special "Father-daughter" date. Had a great time. It was on an off-night so not very busy. Had great personal attention from Anna, who served us personally. The atmosphere was great, very homey, and the decor pleasing as well. I ordered the seared tuna entree which was quite good. For the mains, my daughter ordered the venison which was very delicious (she gave me a taste of it) and I ordered the lamb, which was also very good. I would recommend it for a relaxing and delicious meal!

• Visited June 2013
Auckland
“A lovely experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

My partner and I had dinner here a couple of Saturdays ago. Overall we really enjoyed the experience with devine food, and friendly and helpful staff. My partner had the Deer Filet Mocha and I the Crispy Pork Belly, both very delicious. We both really enjoyed the evening. Even had Irish coffees and they knew how to make them, you may laugh :-)

• Visited May 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
“A world of its own within Kumeu”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2013

Went for a mid-week dinner with our son and daughter-in-law to celebrate the end of a fabulous family vacation. I am gluten intolerant and lactose sensitive and had emailed the day before to ask about main courses that I was interested in having. The hostess and chef each came to our table to discuss our choices, ensuring all would be to our liking and dietary needs. Garlic hummus and hot fresh baked rolls were shared by the family as we enjoyed beer and carafes of local New Zealand wines. My main was fantastic - the free range chicken stuffed with with chickpeas and herbed liver in avocado oil. Each plate was a work of art. The family savored delightful mains of roast lamb and canard d'magret and we shared sides of roast potatoes and fresh veg (chef's choice). As we lingered, dessert was offered and accepted - and it also exceeded our expectations. We shared and agreed the special dessert baked with local fejoa and fresh made ice cream was the best. Almost three hours passed by before we called it a night. We were relaxed, sated and delighted by our dining experience. While the restaurant is kid friendly with special menus for them, we were glad that for once, we were on our own.

• Visited April 2013
“Celebration dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Went with family for a birthday celebration. We had two children and a teen amongst us and I was a little nervous the children wouldn't be well catered for. I was mistaken, dinner was great. Kids menu (although the chicken skewers were too spicy for my daughter) had a good variety. Mains are tasty and interesting! Sides of veges and potatoes and fries are large and are able to be shared. We ordered too many sides. The desserts were good but the mains were the best part of the meal. The service was great. Would definitely go there again. My brother paid the bill so cannot comment on the value for money side of things.

• Visited April 2013