“Oldish but cosy”
Review of Hotel Emas

Hotel Emas
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Tawau Division
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I stayed in deluxe room for a night. The hotel building is a bit old, the lobby, reception and receptionist is nice, the room a bit small, with furniture worn out but you're provided with all room necessities and bathroom also had bathtub. The cleanliness is average, but looks a bit gloomy due to 'old-age'. View from room is nice - sea and part of old Tawau town. Overall, for a price offered, it is cheap but you get 'cosy old-age 3-star hotel'.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Ismeth_IX

Reviewed May 17, 2012

The hotel looks ok, though it is a bit old, but the management did try to keep the standard on par. The room, bathroom and sheets are clean. But the fridge is quite filthy with stains and smell. TV channel selection is very limited, only comes with local programs and sports channel.
Hotel surrounding has got nothing much to offer, it is situated in the old Tawau town. The staff are polite and helpful.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Elainejenz
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We stayed in this business hotel for two nights, as we wanted to visit Tawau and the Quion Hill cocoa estate. Somehow we got upgraded to a large suite, which comprised a lounge, bedroom, dressing room and bathroom. There was also a fridge, and a flatscreen TV, and separate aircon for lounge & bedroom. Everything was clean & worked well.
Breakfast was a buffet with fresh fruit and cooked options. Something for everyone. The staff were helpful and polite.
We found that it is only a short walk to the town centre, and the seafront, both of which have a lot of very good value restaurants and cafes.
Overall, it was a good stay, and the upgraded room was a pleasant surprise.

Room Tip: Try to get the suite - there is no harm in asking if it is available.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank TWinster13
Reviewed April 1, 2010

I recently stayed at Hotel Emas for business trip. I stayed at executive floor for two nights. Generally, I felt the room condition was clean and comfortable. I especially like the concept of executive room design with clear partition of living room, bed room and dress room. The room gave me a English feel when I put my first step into the room. I used to stay at different hotels during business trips or vacation in several countries. To my knowledge, this is the first hotel developes their customized made hand soap and bath soap by using cocoa material. I also tried few dishes at hotel restaurant during my lunch time or dinner. I will recommend the "fish sliced meat with vermicelli soup" to my friend. It is one of the authetic Malaysian hawker food. In future, if I plan a trip to Sipadan island, I guess Hotel Emas will be in my list.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business
3  Thank doramon
Reviewed January 28, 2010

Tawau is the gateway to many beautiful islands in Sabah. I return more than twice every year and it was usually the Emas Hotel. However, with the recent posting in the Trip Advisor, i've moved to another in Tawau. There is much to improve in terms of service delivery and approach which is lacking in this "used-to-be" well-known hotel at the heart of the town.

BTW, I've met Mr. William Lee during one of my stays before and he is definitely not from a travel agent family. Based on his name card he is one of the senior management team of Teck Guan Group of Companies.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Q-Ambassador
Reviewed May 21, 2009

I've just visited Tawau on business trip. I stayed at Hotel Emas for 3 nights (18-21 May 2009).The hotel feels quite old . However hallways are well lit and decorated. The room I had was basic but clean but some of the furniture need refurbished. Breakfast was ok but lack of choices. The only setback is the location, situated outside the city centre.

Regarding Dishonest Guy, Mr William Lee, in Hotel Emas. I found that he is not an employee of Hotel Emas. He works for travel agent.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Pauzi
Reviewed March 1, 2009

Be careful of the dishonest staff, Mr William Lee, in Hotel Emas. He cheated us to pay his rafting cost in Kota Kinabalu and reluctant to pay us back after rafting.
He also cheated us in the arrangement of hotel. He made a reservation for my family and clearly said that he will pay the hotel cost as we have paid his dinner and his massage fee in massage centre. However, he called police to catch us in the airport after checking-out and claiming us that we were refusing to pay the accomodation.
He is also very impolite. He suddenly visited our hotel room (with ladies) at 7am and stayed inside our room without any reason. We had not dressed up at that moment. It is so embarrassed as such a middle-aged guy starred at us, especially in the morning and not dressed up yet.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with friends
7  Thank Cafechiu
raynur, Manager at Hotel Emas, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2010

My name is Raymond Tan, the new Hotel Emas Manager. The person named William Lee that was mentioned in the review is no longer a staff in the hotel. After some investigation to the claims by Cafechiu, i found that the comments written has nothing to do with the hotel and not related in any area, rather it was written based on the personal relationship between William Lee and Cafechiu that might have gone bad or whatsoever.

My personal assurance to all my esteem valuable guests is that such incident will not happen in Hotel Emas going forward. We value all constructive criticism and comments in order for us to continuously improve our services.

I can be contacted anytime through my email: tanch@teckguan.com for all your enquiries.