“Relaxing Dive Resort in scuba paradise”

and 1 more site!
Bunaken Cha Cha Nature Resort
Reviewed December 23, 2010

We spent 5 nights here for scuba diving. The resort was fully staffed with wonderful people even though we were at times the only guests there. Other days we shared the resort with 4 others and the service was excellent at all times. Our main reason for choosing Bunaken island rather than staying on the mainland was to be close to the Bunaken reefs for diving. This resort was perfect for short boat rides. The boat was an old, wooden style boat and perfectly set up for diving. The dive staff was excellent at all times, even giving me special help lugging my tank over to the side of the boat for the backroll into the water. All dives were 2 tank, morning dives and this was relaxing on the boat between dives with a snack and hot tea or water. The dive equipment was always set up for the next dive by the staff, and we didn't touch our equipment for the whole time there, except to do the buddy check before diving in. They even rinsed our wetsuit each day and hung everything up to dry. The dives were typically 60 minutes total, diving the wall first, then spending a good 20 minutes or so in the beautiful shallow reefs. The reef here is the healthiest we have seen so far and we have dove, the Philippines (Puerto Galera), Bonaire, Curacao and Maui. Bunaken is a place we will definately go back to someday and next time I will request to do a few dives only in the shallows. It's like swimming on top of a giant, colorful aquarium, so many small fish and colorful corals you can just relax and get into that dreamy place all divers know about in their minds.

Some days my husband did the afternoon dive while I relaxed on our veranda. Our room was #4 I think, up some steep steps to our room. In fact there were only 2 units closest to the water that had very few steps, and those were closed for renovation. Other units were up more levels of steps to the top of the resort and I would not like having to walk up that far to my room. So, we were lucky to be assigned the lower unit. Our room was very clean and comfortable, and BIG too! It had an outside bathroom with a door to keep the critters out of our room. We didn't have any bugs or snakes in our room like another person posted. We did find a few bugs in the bathroom but that was to be expected being outdoors. 2 closets, a small safe, lounge chairs on the veranda with a jungle view over flower gardens. The staff always came up to our room and lit insect coils on the veranda, so we had no misquitoes at all the whole time there. The cleaning staff did an excellent job at all times, twice a day. The best staff we have ever experienced on our travels. They were always polite and attentive to us, we felt very welcomed by them.

Now, the food. AMAZING food... The pictures of the website cannot describe how good and plentiful the food is. Traditional dishes of Indonesian, Asian styles with a good variety to choose from. This was not your typical resort food, it was special. The food service girls were excellent and attentive. The table was set perfectly and we all ate family style with the owners and guests. It appeared that we had an assigned seat each meal because a few times we tried to sit by another guest to talk for the meal and the staff was reluctant to change the planned seating. The owner smoked cigarettes after a meal and tried to push away from the table, but for me is was not pleasant to smell the smoke. But, you have to remember, the Asian culture still smokes everywhere, unlike the USA where it is prohibited in most public places so we have to adapt to their ways and enjoy the good things.

The owners made an attempt to get to know us and to share our lives with them. It made for a personal approach to the stay there. We even went diving with them a couple of times. They were always polite to us and did their best to make sure our stay was perfect.

Cha Cha has no dock and getting to the boat at low tide was a bit of a muck walk out to the boat, but an easy walk with booties. I'm pretty sure most resorts on Bunaken island have no dock though so it is normal for the island. The beach is very small and limited for any walking so we did walk up above the resort to the local village. It had been raining so the path to the village was muddy, but soon became paved. After seeing the local village and how primative it was, dirt floors in most houses, no stores, pigs and chickens roaming, we can see how Cha Cha is helping the villagers as an employer. There is not much else for the islanders to do for work, no economy except diving resorts.

(First Impressions:) When arriving at Manado airport we were transported by a taxi to the harbor. Manado was busy and poluted, the rivers were full of garbage, exhaust from every vehicle, traffic jams through a rundown, dirty town. No traffic rules, lots of honking, then on to the boat which is an old, wooden boat. It was not the cleanest first impression of Cha Cha, they could try to spiff up the transport/supply boat a bit for their clients. It got us to Bunaken Island safely though loaded with some supplies from the mainland. All the food and supplies had to be purchased on the mainland and brought over on the boat to Bunaken and we were thinking it might not be safe to eat here, upon first impression. But, noone got sick from any of the food, and in fact it was amazing how fresh and good the food was at every meal.

One other poster said the air quality in the scuba tanks gave him a headache. We too had headaches and one other guest had a headache but only one day, so who knows if the tanks are the blame. I would feel perfectly safe to dive with Cha Cha again when we return.

We went on to Lembeh Straits from our stay here. Our memories now of Cha Cha are most positive, the service was excellent, and especially the staff made our stay there the best ever!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
10  Thank ReneeDR

Reviewed November 17, 2010

From the moment you step off the boat onto the beach outside Cha Cha, you enter a luxury "Robinson Crusoe" world, far from the hussle and bustle of everyday life. Even on the small island of Bunaken, Cha Cha is quite isolated and the only thing likely to disturb you is the screech of tarsiers and cuscus, in the trees surrounding the resort, at sunset.

This was my fourth visit to the resort (which I suppose says a lot!). Previous visits had been with my partner, who unfortunately was unable to travel this time, due to work commitments. Each visit has shown that the owners, Raf and Reiko, are working hard to improve the quality of their guests' stay - air-con, wi-fi internet, room safes, refurbished restaurant etc.

On our first visit, we found the dining arrangement a bit unusual, as everyone sits at a long table, instead of the usual tables for two. Raf and Reiko always dine with the guests. However, within a day, we realised that it was a great way to meet people and I have had countless interesting dinner conversations with people I would, otherwise, never had met. I also found that on this trip, as a lone traveller, I did not experience the discomfort which I may have felt if dining alone. The food preparation and presentation are excellent - an unusual combination of Indonesian with European and Japanese touches. Although it is a fixed menu, there are usually 3 dishes to choose from, so even the fussiest eater should find something to eat.

Although Bunaken Cha Cha Nature Resort is primarily a dive resort (they patiently talked us through our PADI Open Water qualification on our first visit), there are still other activities for the non-diver. There is a house reef just metres from the resort which has the best snorkelling I have ever seen. It is not until you look under the water, at the amazing colourful kaleidoscope of fish and corals, that you appreciate the true beauty of Cha Cha. Even if you cannot swim, they provide flotation jackets and will accompany you to make sure you do not run into any danger. For those who are frightened to put their heads under water, there is excellent beach-combing at low tide on a spotless coral shelf and sand bar. In the afternoon, there is not much else to do except enjoy the complimentary coffee and cakes, relax with a good book and look out to the other islands of the Marine Park.

If all this solitude proves too much, you can walk up into the island along the main road (a metre wide concrete path - there are no true roads on Bunaken) where you may encounter the odd motorbike, but more likely, inquisitive pigs and cattle and friendly waves from the islanders as you pass the villages. You can walk to Liang (where many resorts are situated), which has an impressive beach (though in my experience, the beach is not too clean and you are likely to be hassled by hawkers, as many day-trippers arrive there from Manado) or you can walk down to the main village of Bunaken (a sleepy place dominated by a huge church).

I have travelled around North Sulawesi and have found this part of the world very interesting. If you need to get off the island, there are shops in Manado; Tomohon in the mountains is fascinating with its food market (not for the squeamish!), Linow Lake and climbing the volcano - Mount Mawahu; and there is the nature reserve at Tangkoko - all of which could be feasibly done as day trips from Bunaken.

I would, therefore, highly recommend Bunaken Cha Cha Nature Resort as a destination for divers, snorkellers, a quiet, romantic get-away or just a place to chill out and escape the madness of modern-day living.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
4  Thank Daveyallan
Reviewed November 6, 2010

This was our second visit in 2 years, and we hope to come again every year. This is a great place - incredible location, great food, well run, and spectacular, safe diving. It is a comfortable, nice, small resort on a small island, very welcoming, and everyone we've met there is very happy. As you can read with other reviews, if you want a 5-star Asia fancy resort, this is probably not the place, but if you want a fantastic, beautiful dive experience with excellent staff, setting, food, and facilities, this is the place. We went this time with our teenage son, and his grandmother, and we all loved it.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank dhoopstick
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Our third stay within a year ! It felt like coming home and it has become our second home. Hosts Reiko & Raf are wonderful personalities making you feel welcome throughout the stay. Meals are always delicious and different from day to day. Rooms are spacious, beds most comfortable and house keeping is doing a perfect job. Diving is at its best, Bunaken reef is world famous, deserves this status! Bunaken Cha Cha dive team does an excellent job in showing all treasures of the reef. From small critters to big fish - you see it all and the guides take pleasure in pointing them out to you. The Cha Cha team is most flexible even if you come up with any special requests like getting married on the beach (!) - they go out of their way to make your stay a memorable one. We will be back for sure very soon. Can't wait ! And for those who can't to it without intgernet....no worry, Cha Cha has Wifi access in each room for a nominal charge.
Amy & Markus Schmid, Swiss International Air Lines, Area Manager Asia Pacific, Singapore

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank markusschmid
Reviewed September 23, 2010

I read some of these reviews and it makes me believe Cha Cha is simply like any boutique sized island resort. Nothing could be further from the truth. This is a very unique place that will be loved by some and hated by others. As a result, it is important to list only the facts and allow the reader to draw their own conclusions.

The rooms are laid out well, however, they are not constructed as solid as one may expect from a resort. The front wall of our room had vertical blinds that were literally open to the outside on either side of the door (this results in lizards and a rather large, 5 ft long, snake in our room). I'm sure you can see these blinds from the pics on the website. Regardless, this is the love it or leave it nature of Bunaken. It is an adventure.

The Manado harbor is a pit. The boats are nothing at all to desire an dmany westerners find the transfer process from Manado to Bunaken a bit sad, a bit scary and a lot stinky. Once you get to the resort, it is nice (I would say 2 to 3 star) and actually incredible in consideration of what resources there are on Bunaken Island to work with. That said, this is basic comfort in an incredible location. If you are looking for the Ritz, stay away. If you can handle being immersed in true nature to the point of lizards on the walls (I don't see how any resort in the area can avoid this) and possible snakes or other animals sneaking in, then you will appreciate Cha Cha. The resort is run by Raf and his lovely wife Reyko (sp.). They are very kind and honest people that will do anything to make you comfortable. They are part of what makes this resort unique.

So, the resort is very unique and truly is a nature resort. Maintenance, while not completely lacking, was also not completely up to snuff. A lot of white painted areas had been dirtied etc... Really though, a very nice resort.

My wife and I are avid divers so that is next:

The area is unreal in terms of hard coral gardens and reef walls. Little to no water current issues for the less experienced. Although the number of pelagics you see is limited somewhat, the sheer numbers of reef fish are amazing. Very rich in beauty and life (we have dove Palau, Hawaii and all over the Caribbean and only Palau tops this).

Unfortunately, an extreme issue I had at Cha Cha involved the diving. I believe that the compressors did not have proper filters attached to the air intakes and likely were sucking exhaust from the generators into the scuba tanks while being filled. I routinely got headaches after dives and they were not of the slight variety. I am not the type to get headaches and this cleared up immediately upon going to the next resort in Lembeh. Also, the dives were beautiful, however, I do not feel that we were guided well in terms of seeing all that Bunaken had to offer. My wife and I spotted macro life and took it upon ourselves to discover the area. Good dive leaders know the sites and know exactly where many of the marine animals like to hang out. There was little to none of that from Bunaken's dive leaders. As a result, the diving can be incredible and Cha Cha would be better served to put the time in and discover some of the amazing underwater life so that it can be pointed out the their guests.

This is a great little resort with a truly unique feel. It has two to three star physical accomodations with a staff and ownership group that truly care and want to serve you with the best of intentions (which is more than most 5 stars can truly say). That said, this is a very basic resort with very basic capabilities. I can see it being a disappointment to many and amazing to others.

If you are looking for a nice place to stay on Bunaken (to avoid the ridiculous boat trips necessary to dive the area from the mainland) and you simply want to get an overview of the area from a divers perspective, this is the place for you. Just don't be oversold that this place is some sort of 4 star boutique nature resort. Its a bit more hardcore than that.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Sandykid
Reviewed June 15, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Cha Cha for 8 nights and overall had a fabulous, energetic and relaxing time. Raf, the owner, was extremely helpful from the moment we contacted him with booking inquiries and it was thanks to him that we chose to fly (from London) via Singapore Air as opposed to Air Asia which subsequently cancelled all flights to Manado. (Air Asia also took three months to refund me for another flight they cancelled, without warning or apology— in short, Air Asia blows). Raf also replied quickly and enthusiastically to all my left-field queries regarding ocean temperature (86F), malaria (not so much on Bunaken but definitely on the mainland, mossies prevalent throughout) and my wife’s aversion to tofu (can’t be helped). All told, full marks for pre-trip advice, ease of booking and customer service in general.

Upon arrival in Manado we spotted a card with our name and were quickly ushered to a waiting taxi, a waiting boat and found ourselves sipping cold coconuts and wiping our brows with scented cloths within an hour and a half. Be forewarned, the immigration desk in Manado seems to operate on a strict “one official/one plane” entrance policy so you might want to try for a seat near the front of the aircraft to spare yourself the slow-moving queue. Also, Cha Cha gave us booties for the “wet landing” so no need to scramble for your own-- unless you’re kicking size 15’s.

The resort itself is all kinds of lovely: lush but carefully tended foliage, plenty of welcome shade, on a remote corner of the island, with a breezy open-air eating area/bar/sundeck. What beach there is appears only at low tide and doesn’t last for long but the tidepooling is excellent. We stayed in a deluxe room which had a very smart Balinese-style open-air shower, stone floors, Western toilet, ample hot and running water, clean sheets, quality mosquito netting, good lighting, comfortable bedding, a spacious deck with both chairs AND loungers and, frankly, better facilities than one should come to expect in such a remote destination even at this price. The air-con was a bit weak upon arrival but this was quickly rectified by conscientious staff before we even summoned the energy to complain. The attention to detail at Cha-Cha is impressive—though this comes at the small and probably unavoidable price of occasional jumpy staff afraid of putting a foot wrong. We were also given three large bottles of water per day, free mossie coils and some frankly bizarre and colorful Indonesian snacky-cakes every afternoon at five.

The food is fabulous, varied, and a welcome mix of both Asian and Western cuisine. My wife, as a vegetarian, had plenty of choice. In addition to salad, rice and inventive veg she was regularly offered an additional plate of pasta, fried tempeh, omlettes, mashed potatoes and the like-- beyond the call of duty for sure. They serve up a LOT of food here and practically all of it is delicious. I particularly enjoyed the marlin kebabs (satay!), the “prawn volcano”, the fried noodles and the many, many platters of beautiful tropical fruit (if only I could get that quality of papaya here in London, sigh). And, though the house coffee is unforgivably weak, formidable expresso drinks are available at extra cost. Beer and soft drinks are also reasonably priced though wine, as in all of Indonesia, is highly inflated. There was, however, a bit too much fried food—for my gut as opposed to my taste—and, predictably, I gained about a pound per day. Raf is an engaging host and we were very much amused by his tales of everyday life in Sulawesi, Indonesian bureaucracy, wildlife spottings, crazy guest requests, etc. He is very well informed about the area and its protection and is always willing to answer, or research, any question or concern. Meanwhile, Reiko, his pensive and kindly wife, provides a welcome foil for his impassioned and often humorous rantings.

Bunaken itself is an amazing place to snorkel (though no longer a diver, as a former marine science instructor I am somewhat adventurous/maniacal in the snorkeling department and am often out for several hours at a go. Luckily, the wife is similarly keen). Blessedly, the dive center is more than happy to accommodate the tankless on their twice-daily boats (which makes a welcome change from many resorts who treat mere snorkelers as second class citizens). A couple of times we were even taken out on our own at no extra cost and, like the divers, we were always given the VIP treatment. Our gear was hauled both on and off the boat, we were served tea and biscuits after every snorkel and Emiko proved an excellent guide, even going so far as to point out some stonefish and nudibranchs we would have otherwise missed. The divers were equally well taken care of and if I were still diving I would have no qualms about going with Cha Cha. Marine biology wise: the corals around Bunaken are among the healthiest and most diverse I’ve ever seen and that includes the Red Sea much of the Indian Ocean, Carribean and South Pacific. In fact, I’ve never seen so many different species of butterfly, angel and clownfish in one location. Also, in addition to sharks, blue-spot rays, batfish, frogfish and sea snakes, my wife and I had the remarkable good fortune to encounter two dugong, mother and nearly full-grown calf, on only our second day in the water. The ten or so minutes we spent swimming alongside these critically endangered creatures was the highlight of our trip to the region-- though we later learned that such an encounter is exceedingly rare and not to be expected. Still, they are occasionally spotted so, you know, good luck!

Snorkeling directly from shore at Bunaken can be rewarding but the current often limits the distance you can travel, changing direction and speed as often as it does. As everywhere, visibility is variable but ranged between 10 and 40 meters during our visit. At low tide there is only really one good entry point in front of the resort (without damaging the coral) and this area is not as spectacular as most of those visited by boat (at a very reasonable thirty dollars a trip pp). Still, the mangroves nearby are rewarding to explore at high tide and there are many beautiful patches of reef just a short kick from Cha Cha’s front door.

On the downside, as has been reported both on Tripadvisor and in guidebooks, when the wind blows and the rivers flow, enormous rafts of unsightly plastic trash (mixed with organic jungle debris) drift from Manado along ALL sides of Bunaken on their way to join the embarrassing, human-caused, oceanic super-wart that is the giant Pacific trash gyre. If you haven’t heard of this phenomenon, well, google it if you dare. Usually, currents swirl this garbage around the more populated side of the island but we had the misfortune of having it drift our direction for several days due to prevailing currents. And, while we collected as much as we could in bags during our snorkels, such efforts were the proverbial drop in the ocean. If Indonesia is serious about protecting these amazing coral gardens as a marine park they have to pay more than lip service to safe-guarding this precarious environment. Raf agrees and man, can he tell you stories. Also, because Bunaken has fishing exclusion “zones”-- as opposed to being entirely protected—and because the big pelagics have no innate zoning concept per se, the few large sharks, rays and turtles we encountered generally fled on sight. The fishing pressure here, while limited and local (common to see spearfishermen hovering offshore), is both palpable and, from what I could tell, slackly enforced. Still, the gorgeous reefs and the “small stuff” are impressive and warrant a trip to the region in their own right.

My only real problem with Cha Cha as a resort is something that I both knew and was concerned about before I booked our trip and that is: the dining situation. Basically, everyone eats family style around a single table (or two tables when half the guests are Japanese, etc.) And, while Raf and Reiko are amiable and wonderful hosts, your mealtime conversation/experience is dependent on other guests who happen to be there at the time. The result is that every meal is a dinner party—or a lunch party or a breakfast party—and sometimes when you’re on holiday after a difficult year and your wife works a stressful job in a highly social environment, you just want to huddle in a corner, have some eggs and coffee and mumble amongst yourselves. Lucky for us, in addition to hitting it off with the owners, we made some great new friends at Cha-Cha. However, I believe that as adults we would have organized to eat a meal (or six) together, on our own volition, without the soft-touch social engineering. As it turned out, as a matter of politeness, both my wife and I felt obliged to include other guests we didn’t quite click with in our mealtime conversations. Also, because each pair of guests received matching plates of delicious, filling food there was either a lot left over or, out of concern for the starving nations of Africa, *someone* felt obliged to hoover up the remaining portions and add another half-stone to his midsection. In my opinion, this situation could easily be rectified by, say, having the nightly dinner party, sure-- to keep the family atmosphere alive-- but how ‘bout making breakfast and lunch a more laissez--fair, sit-where-and-with-whom-you-please buffet, without set meal times? It’s been done successfully in many, many places before but this would require Raf to release a bit of, uh, shall we say, respectfully, party host control. To be fair, he could use a competent number two and his dictatorship appears both necessary and benevolent. That being said, since I knew the meal-deal coming in, I feel it would be unfair to deduct a star from this review on these grounds—as I would have if this situation had been sprung upon me without prior notice.

All in all, we had an excellent, excellent trip and would not hesitate to return the next time we find ourselves in Sulawesi, hopefully as divers. The Dive Team was top notch! Hope this helps.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank octopusmessiah
Reviewed June 7, 2010

We stayed at Bunaken Cha Cha for 6 nights and it was not long enough. The owners Raf and Reiko as well as their friendly staff worked hard to truly make this a home away from home. While many scuba resorts in Sulawesi are beautiful, it was the details that made Cha Cha stand out.
The food was delicious, plentiful, varied and healthy.
The other guests were a treat to spend time with
The island was stunning, we loved walking down the beach at low tied to look for little sea creatures
The dive master was knowledgeable and always willing to take us out for anight dive or extra afternoon dive.

I cannot wait to plan my next trip to this resort.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Bunaken Divers - Sea Breeze Dive Resort
Siladen Resort & Spa
Siladen Resort & Spa
#1 of 2 in Siladen Island

Been to Bunaken Cha Cha Nature Resort? Share your experiences!