All reviews private boat small beach fish meal times three meals a day dining area village island fan vegetarian reef resort
Selected filters
Reviewed May 5, 2019 via mobile

I am Australian and over the years have been to many places on the Barrier Reef, however I have to say that I was very impressed with Bunaken Island and the diversity of corals and fish here. Being at Bunaken Beach Resort was the icing on the cake. The reef in front of the resort was clean and only a short swim out from the beach.
Erny, the owner is so sweet and accomodating and provides three meals a day. The staff were friendly and happy and the whole experience was positive.
It is a beautiful laid back vibe here on the island and I would recommend coming before the secret gets out!

Date of stay: May 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed September 11, 2018 via mobile

The hotel is in a good location, a short walk out of the village which makes it a bit quieter and has its own small beach. The room was a bit dated and could have done with a good clean, and we stayed for 4 nights and our bed wasn’t made or towels changed, by this is reflected in the price compared to other resorts on the island.
The food was absolutely fantastic, we didn’t have the same meal once in the entire time we were there (apart from breakfast). Meals are served at set times which were a little early for us but that is just personal preference. There were always fresh eggs however you liked them and fresh pancakes at breakfast, and a variety of different local food served at lunch and dinner. Food was served buffet style but there was always more than enough to go around and they were very accommodating that I am a vegetarian and would make me extra eggs at meal times when they were serving meat.
There is a private boat offered from manado to the resort for 100k rupiah or you can get the private boat on the island for 50k rupiah.
The staff are very friendly and helpful, and it is also possible to pay for your stay on credit card with an extra charge of 3% even though on booking.com it says cash only.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2018

My wife and I spent 5 nights at BBR beginning Aug 2018.

Some good points: located very close to a good bar with live music and good atmosphere, can snorkel from hotel (but need to swim 230m), some staff are very nice and smiley.

But:
Room: room is ok but no mosquito net, we were bitten a lot. Bathroom was a swimming pool as water evacuation was blocked (I noticed them but the problem was not fixed during 5 days).

Food: cook was good and very friendly and helpful but we ate mainly veggies at lunch when everybody is hungry after diving. It's a fact: all guest were surprised and complained about the food (not the staff!)

Diving: not good at all.
Instructor and dive master were not nice at all and didn't give any information before diving about the place to go, equipment, environment etc... Atmosphere was really bad. We came from so far to meet this... ;(
Equipment was old and really not safe: at least 1 BCD had a air leak, I noticed it and refused to use it. The day after they proposed it to my wife! I said NO again. Another tourist used it and said she was always moving up when diving, and her air was used much faster than other divers... so unsafe.
A bottle separated from BCD during diving! I noticed it to dive master who immediately fixed it.
My wife used to be afraid in deep blue and is not comfortable in water, although she had already dived. With BBR she cancelled her diving once in water because of BAD instruction and UNSAFE feeling.

Snorkelling:
Once again no information about where to go and about the strong current: my wife was pulled away hundreds of meters far from the boat and was so afraid and yelled at them to come to help. Our mood and feeling were just killed, while visiting this fantastic place... what a pity.

CONCLUSION: our trip would have been much better if we went to another place ;(.
For a better sleeping, eating, atmosphere and much better diving and snorkelling, please go to another place with real certified instructors.

I guess the 4 and 5 star reviews come from visitors who loved Bunaken island and its incredible coral, not loved BBR and its divers, it's impossible.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Toon N
Reviewed March 30, 2018

The staff and location were perfect for our 3 day dive tour. 3 nights and 3 meals a day cost around $60 USD. Yes, $20/day. Your on the water with quick access to some of the best reef diving in the world.

Date of stay: March 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed March 25, 2018

The staff is very welcoming. The premises are kept clean daily. Food is good, and the bungalows are charming.
Need to ask for Indonesian-level spicy food if you want to eat like a local, otherwise almost no chilies...

Date of stay: March 2018