All reviewsbudget roomfishgreat divingdive guidesuperior cottagewall divingthe cottagesfun divesdiving experiencecoral wallsstayed longerdays divingopen water coursedive centreboat crewdive coursebig thanks
Reviewed January 8, 2012

We had an excellent time at Two Fish. It exceeded our expectations in all regards. The room was very nice, the food was good and plenty of it, the diving was wonderful and the instruction on my PADI course very good. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed at this resort for 3D2N dive trip.
The resort is clean and basic, dive gear that we rented (BCD and reg) were well maintained. Food was simple but satisfying. However, as we stayed at Two Fish Lembeh right before transferring to Two fish Bunaken, we had expectations in place and Bunaken failed to live up to Lembeh for the following reasons:

- The diving in Bunaken was not as interesting. Dont get me wrong, Bunakan has fantastic visibility and never ending coral walls. However all the dives featured the same views and it wasnt as interesting Lembeh
- The resort in Bunaken was not as well run as Lembeh. The employee conducting the briefing was not very familiar with the workings of the resort and the dive schedule and was not able to answer our queries adequately.
- During meal times, we felt slightly stressed as the staff was constantly trying to clear our plates resulting in us feeling that we have overstayed our welcome at the dining hall.

In all, if i were to return, i would definitely stay at Two Fish again, but my preference would be to stay at the Lembeh resort. Its smaller, cozier, friendlier and the dives are more interesting.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank nibelung
Reviewed December 22, 2011

My fiancée and I are just back from Two Fish, and I can’t recommend it enough.

First the diving (as that’s what most people will be going to Bunaken for). This was the first time diving for both of us, and so while I can’t compare it to anywhere else, I can say that it was spectacular. Over the nine dives that we did (four days), we saw sharks twice, turtles on almost every dive, eels, nudibranchs, a host of wrasses, angelfish, triggerfish, etc., incredible coral, and also a tiny potohoi seahorse. The equipment was in excellent condition, and the instructors and guides were perfect for two beginners, taking us through the Open Water course swiftly and professionally, then taking us on two fun dives and an incredible night dive. I come away with a new respect for the oceans and reef systems, and a new hobby – which I can’t wait to ‘dive’ into again! We completed the theory parts of the course online prior to travelling, and I’d recommend this to other people whose time may be limited – the online packages are thorough and well designed, and doing all the theory and tests in advance allowed us to maximise our time in the water when we were on Bunaken.

The resort was quite picturesque, well tended, and very comfortable. We had a cottage, which was basic but very good value, clean, and cool, with a nice deck area with hammock. I was very pleasantly surprised by the extremely high quality of the meals, and the sandy bar area proved a relaxing and comfortable place to have a beer (kept very cold and served in chilled glasses) after dinner. The staff were extremely friendly, and created a welcoming, almost family atmosphere among the guests; when I left, I really felt like I was leaving friends.

It’s hard to search for anything that could be improved, but if I were pushed to think of one, it was that the pillows were a tad uncomfy – which, given that it’s a resort on a small island, isn’t much of a criticism at all!

I’d highly recommend Two Fish on Bunaken; top-rate dive sites, guides, and instructors, and a great resort in which to enjoy your non-dive time.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Bunaken is a beautiful place and if you're considering going there most likely it's because you are a scuba diver. I think most people will be satisfied with the provided scuba diving and snorkeling opportunities there. This was definitely the case for me, I felt that i came to the right island but the wrong resort.

In my opinion the management of a hotel/resort must always be service minded towards their customers, after all we are paying for your business.

The guy that manage this resort (european) was one of the most arrogant/unfriendly people I have ever met. I don't care if he has to hear the same questions every day when they get new customers and get bored answering them over and over again.

Poor attitude towards the guests such as not greeting them, unwillingness to help out with simple matters, reluctant to answer questions, generally not interested, etc. It was obvious that his behavior also influenced some of the local staff as they probably look up to this manager and then think it is acceptable behavior (hint: it is not).

However most of the local staff were very helpful to us and really took their time to answer questions about Bunaken and the surroundings (especially the gardener really helped us a lot with his knowledge about Bunaken).

You need to understand that this is a very small resort so it becomes very personal when you stay there, the bad attitude of the manager easily affects the mood of the guests. If you're in a service occupation and don't have the passion to do it and are gonna be arrogant towards your customers you should stop and think if this is really the right thing for you. I actually felt very uncomfortable during my whole stay due to this hostile attitude.

I had previously stayed at 2 Fish Resort in Lembeh and was very satisfied with the friendly and helpful (professional) management there and therefor I picked 2 Fish when going to Bunaken.

Except for the manager attitude problem which was severe enough for me to never choose this place again I would like to say the following things about the resort.

The standard chalets are quiet OK, small but comfortable. Not in need of immediate renovation but definitely time to start thinking about it. The bathroom use salt water (it is not pure sea water but definitely got salt in it), not a big deal but it feels a bit weird to shower in salt water after spending a whole day in the ocean.

The lunch and dinner at the resort is standard procedure where you will usually find 3 different dishes + rice, no thrills and no disappointments. The breakfast was a bit sparse but that is also quiet common at these kind of resorts. The room prices are reasonable, of course it is not cheap by Indonesian standards but at least you don't feel like you get cheated of your money.

In terms of location there's not much to worry about no matter which resort you pick. It's a small island and a person with normal physical stamina can easily walk across the island by following the cemented motobike "highway".

Conclusion is that I'm going back to Pulau Bunaken in 2012 but it will be another resort then.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
10  Thank ghoulies_2
TwoFishBunakenIsland, Owner at Two Fish Divers Bunaken, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2011

Hi Goulies_2,

Firstly, let me apologise for the treatment that you received. I am the owner of Two Fish Divers, the manager you are talking about was employed with us since Jan 2011 and we have not had any bad reports like this. He left our employment on 16 Dec and all I can think is that you visited us during his last week with us and he was therefore not "very committed".

As you say in your review, we are a small resort and I did not hear about any problems during the time that you were here. Nevertheless, I take this as my failure for not making sure that this did not happen.

Both myself and my wife are now back in charge of the management of the resort. We strive to give good customer service, and I think the fact that we have been in business for more than 10years indicates that we are doing a good job.

If you decide to visit Bunaken again, I hope that you will give us another try, and I will personally make sure that your stay is satisfactory.

Regarding our cottages - we are at the end of a very busy high season, and during the low season over the next few months we will be adding some cosmetic touches to bring our cottages & resort back up to the condition that they should be.

Apologies again for behaviour that you experienced, this is both unacceptable and unprofessional.

Regards - Nigel

Reviewed December 5, 2011

We had an amazing time with everyone on the island. We did our Divemaster Internship and our IDC with Two Fish Divers and we couldn't have chosen a better place for it! The diving is fantastic on Bunaken and on Lembeh and it doesnt take long to become friends with everyone in the resort.
Everyone is working great together and Rey and Pat organized everything we needed or asked for.
Thanks for an absolutely amazing time Two Fish :)

• Stayed: September 2011