All reviewsbudget roomfishgreat divingdive guidesuperior cottagewall divingthe cottagesfun divesdiving experiencecoral wallsstayed longerdays divingopen water coursedive centreboat crewdive coursebig thanks
Reviewed August 10, 2011

On my arriving in Manado airport I was attended by David who brought me to the port from which the boat from Two Fish divers accompanied to Bunaken Island.
I stayed there for 10 days, got the recommendation to come here from a good friend who was here a few years back.
The resort is nicely placed into the surrounding of this Island, is composed by a reception / equipment zone on the left side at the entrance as well as a Bar and a lounge area at the right side.
I stayed in a Bungalow with WC and shower, clean and friendly. The hammock on the veranda was perfect for reading a book or just having a nap.
Food (brakfast, lunch, dinner) was good, the staff friendly and helpfull.
The divesites where not crowded, Two Fish divers leave daily with 2 boats, each diveguide (natives) take care of max. 3 divers per dive. It was amazing what they spotted underwater, they know the divesites like their pockets. I liked the reefs with the drop off walls, the mandarina fish dive in the afternoon and last but not least the night diving ...
A nice place alone as well as together with a Partner definitely worth to pay a visit!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 10, 2011

If you love diving this is the place for you! I had a bungalow which was nicely presented and had a balcony that looked out to the ocean. All meals were eaten on big tables which meant you were able to meet your fellow divers, the food was nice and you did have some choice. The boat and equipment were all in good order and the dive masters helpful. I would go back and I do recommend it to you!

Room Tip: Get a bungalow
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 8, 2011

After comparing the rates and the reviews of places to stay in Bunaken, we decided to stay at Two fish. It turned out to be a very good choice!
I came here to accompany my partner who is a relaxed diver. So I do not intend to give review on the dive experiences. From what I heard, though, that some people really liked it. It makes me want to do it next time!
Two fish is a well-thought concept: after making reservation you just fly to menado (a city with international airport) and everything is arranged for you. We were picked up at the airport and went to the island of Bunaken with a boat. I found a remote, tropical island surrounded by azure-color sea. The cottage where we stayed was simple, but robust. There is no airco, only fan, but well, it's good for the environment. The staffs were very friendly. The food was rather basic: there are surely many other places in Indonesia that offers better culinar treats. But I was quite satissfied. Every day we ate different menu and there is a five o'clock snack.
Two dives (in different locations) in the morning are included. For no-divers, you can go along to snorkel. Beware that not all the dive locations is also suitable for snorkling. Or you can just do it in front of the cottages. The staffs are willing to accompany you.
Another things to do when you are not diving is to explore the island. You can walk to nearby villages or rent a motorcycle. (Evening) walking can be quite challenging because the street lights are not common. Also there are dogs. If you are not used to Indonesian dogs (they can be quite wild), take a long stick with you and scare them if you feel threatened. They said that falling coconut can kill you but I thing the chance is very small (we actually experienced falling coconut nearby us while walking: it was quite an explosion!).
All and all I had a wonderful time and I was happy with my choice of two fish divers!

Room Tip: I was happy with standard cottage.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I’m not sure me and my friend were the ideal customer for this place – it is very quiet, and although we were lucky with the people who were there when we were, so I can imagine you could go stir crazy here. If you’re after big nights as well as diving go to the Gili Islands! And I have to say it (I know, shock horror) - I actually preferred the diving in Gilis too.

Food is fine (I got sick but that could’ve just been bad luck) and so is accommodation. I didn’t think it was that ‘basic’ and we stayed in the cheapest room we could. They make you pay for it, but things like airport transfer and help with onward flight bookings are really handy. Worth noting though that if you’re really backpacking on a budget this place might be too expensive.

Another consideration – the people who lead the dives aren’t divemasters, only trained to rescue level. I didn’t realize until I was there (didn’t see the disclaimer on the website). If you’re really experienced you'll notice the difference but might not mind, but because there was a notable difference I will be telling diver friends and family (if they have say 20-40 dives under their belt) to go somewhere where people are trained to a higher level. Better safe than sorry, hey.

A little aside note - although it is a dive resort and you'll be in and out of the boat in your swimsuits etc, a word of warning - I'd probably go easy on sunbathing on the beach in your bikini. Call me stupid but I didn't really get that for a while!!!!

Room Tip: Cheapest rooms are fine
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank tt395
TwoFishBunakenIsland, Owner at Two Fish Divers Bunaken, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2011

Thanks for your review. A few points about some of the things you mention:
* Bunaken Island is very quiet, its not just us! There are no bars or restaurants or clubs or full-moon parties, just 15-20 small resorts dotted around the island. In other words, the island is still undeveloped, and this means that the corals are still in very good condition and the diving is still great. We have customers ranging in age 20-70, and most of them like the social atmosphere of the resort and staff, but I agree that if you like big nights and parties as well as the diving then perhaps Bunaken is not for you.
* If you see a "notable" difference with your dive guide then please let us know. Bear in mind though that there will be notable differences between Indonesia and other places like Australia, US and Europe, the main issue being that the law says that we cannot hire foreign dive guides, this keeps the jobs for the locals which is a very good thing. Another issue is that with the PADI DM course all the books & manuals are in english, and the level of basic knowledge needed in physics and physiology before starting the DM course is above that of the education level of the locals. This means that the locals find it almost impossible to do the theory for the PADI DM course (and therefore get the PADI DM certificate), therefore we are very careful with the practical development of our dive guides:
- they are all trained up to rescue divers, and they spend 2-3 months following the experienced dive guides as part of their training
- they all have more than 100 dives before they start looking after guests, and then they only start with experienced divers (those who just need someone with great eyes)
- they only start looking after less-experienced divers when they have 200-300 dives
- we run many PADI DM courses and we deliberately use them in DM exercises, so they get alot of practical "PADI DM " experience
- we run many OW courses and we deliberately use them as the "guide" on some of the OW dives (with the instructor following) so they get alot of practical experience diving with inexperienced divers
- the management team still regularly dive, and we go out with different dive guides so that we can check their competence

Having confidence just because a dive guide has a PADI DM certificate is not the only thing, its best to also check the management attitude. It is more dangerous with operators who just sign-off the PADI DM certificate without the dive guide "earning" it, we are a PADI 5 Star Center and will not compromise standards this way.

If guests still feel worried, we have 6 instructors available if you feel that you need a "more experienced" dive guide!

Reviewed June 21, 2011

Can't really speak highly enough of Two Fish Divers. I spent 8 days there doing my PADI Open Water and fun dives afterwards and had the most fantastic time. With the local dive masters - some of whom have been diving the spots for 10 years, you get expert knowledge and they all know exactly what they are doing. The staff are like part of the family and with Nigel, Tina and the kids and dogs running around you feel like part of the family too.

I had the 121 attention of my dive instructor Patricia who is not only wonderfully professional, but a brilliant laugh too. The diving set up seems to be incredibly professsional (i've dived other places since including Perhentians), organised, good kit and fun all together. Now having dived other places I realise how spoiled i've been starting my diving at such a spectacular location in Bunaken, and such a professional set up.

The food was great - simple, healthy and plentiful and if you have any extra requirements in any area the team happily help you out. Feedback was encouraged by Reynaldo the manager at all points to make sure that any gripes or issues got dealt with immediately. My last night was a blast - all the staff got involved for a palm wine party which left me suffering on the boat on the way home, having danced and drunk happily away til the early hours as the dive staff played and sang.

I'm currently in Jakarta, on my way back there for another week!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo